Fender Jazz pickup cover over the bridge??

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
maxgroover

Fender Jazz pickup cover over the bridge??

Post by maxgroover » 03 Feb 2018, 13:22

It's funny how your mind wanders in the dentist chair...

So I'm sitting in the chair and focus on the song that's playing "You to me are everything" by The Real Thing. Listening to the tone of the bass it sounds like a jazz bass with the bridge cover on and foam under the cover giving that nice attack on the front of the note and decay on the back of the note. Without the bridge cover on the foam has to either go under the strings or be taped over the top.

But then I wondered whether the Jazz bass pickup cover that covers the neck pickup could be placed over the bridge so that you could easily slip foam between the cover and the strings as needed.

Anyone tried this?? I don't have a pickup cover to experiment with.
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

narcdor

Re: Fender Jazz pickup cover over the bridge??

Post by narcdor » 03 Feb 2018, 14:08

Just checked with a P and the holes are quite a bit off for pre installed bridge and neck covers. It lines up alright with the leading edge of the cover in the good muting spot but so does the bridge cover. You could just use the bridge cover with foam slipped in, or just slip the foam between strings and body which should have exactly the same effect.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 03 Feb 2018, 15:22

maxgroover wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 13:22
.....But then I wondered whether the Jazz bass pickup cover that covers the neck pickup could be placed over the bridge so that you could easily slip foam between the cover and the strings as needed.

Haven't tried it, but it seems to make sense. You could be onto something Matt :yep
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 03 Feb 2018, 16:13

narcdor wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 14:08
You could just use the bridge cover with foam slipped in, or just slip the foam between strings and body which should have exactly the same effect.
You could push foam in and out of the bridge cover - just not sure how easy that is in practice. The thinking with using the pickup cover is that it will be easier being open on both sides to put on and take off the foam between songs.

And re: the foam under the strings having the same effect under or over the strings, if that was the case wouldn't Carol Kaye just slip the foam under the strings rather than going to the hassle of taping the foam down? Surely she tapes the foam down on the top because it sounds different? :shrug:
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 03 Feb 2018, 20:16

It’s easier to adjust the tension due to the radius of the string heights with tape I think, but if you can cut a piece of foam to the right radius (theory is that’s why Babbitt et al their foam looks so messy) or have a quite flat setup or both it’s easier to get the sweet spot.

I’ve tried with foam and felt under string, and that fwump thing around string, and can’t get consistent muting pressure across the strings so I give up. The bridge cover foam sits in the same place under the cover so it would be easier to fine tune and more consistent until the foam breaks down. Taping ala Kaye may be the best method I haven’t tried it yet.

Whatever the method the result is exactly the same, I can’t hear the difference between foam and hand mute for example so foam to foam would be even less.

tyr0n

Post by tyr0n » 20 Apr 2018, 21:57

this topic raises a good point that a mute on the strings is lacking and saves trying to add palm muting.
anyhow the palm mute is impractical and contrary to your bass technique of using the thumb-block.
When you think about it the piano has a permanent felt mute across all the strings all the time.
So you mainly play piano muted and you need to hold down the sustain pedal to play without the mute.
obviously the mute is mandatory because otherwise the entire set of strings reverberates inside a piano.

basshack

Post by basshack » 20 Apr 2018, 22:11

Is it a 5 string you are playing around with? I have a mechanical mute that I'm not using I can send you. I had it on one of my basses for a project band and then removed it. It's one of these and works pretty well. http://bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 21 Apr 2018, 01:11

Foam over strings sounds different from foam over. Tape allows fine adjustment of muting pressure, and more even pressure across the radius.

Muting BOTH sounds great. Thomastik Flats, pick & two mutes sounds the best IMO (esp thru a tune amp). Pick playing sounds better than palm muting/fingerstyle & mutes IME.

There's a gadget that velcos around all the strings, quick on/off between songs. About $30 IIRC.

The quicker decay suits playing busy bass lines too.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 21 Apr 2018, 08:59

basshack wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 22:11
Is it a 5 string you are playing around with? I have a mechanical mute that I'm not using I can send you. I had it on one of my basses for a project band and then removed it. It's one of these and works pretty well. http://bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html
It’s a four string but thanks for the offer Blaine :thumbup:

I have since tried cutting slits in the foam in line with the strings and then pushing the foam down on the strings - the slits allow the foam to slide either side of the strings and also help keep it in place. This gives a much more even mute string to string than when placed under the strings and can be put on and taken off pretty quickly.

Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 21 Apr 2018, 09:56

That is a brilliant idea, it doesn’t rely on pressure from up or down just the mass of the foam so should be as you describe very even. I might give that a go!

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 21 Apr 2018, 09:58

Not my idea but it is worth trying :)
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

veebass

Post by veebass » 22 Apr 2018, 12:37

maxgroover wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 13:22
But then I wondered whether the Jazz bass pickup cover that covers the neck pickup could be placed over the bridge so that you could easily slip foam between the cover and the strings as needed.

OK. I have had a bit of a play around with the covers on one of my Jazzes. It can be done.

The distance between the screw holes is different for the two types of cover ie you would need new holes drilled in your Jazz either side of the bridge.

Other thing is the neck pickup cover is narrower than the bridge cover and starts to curve closer to the bridge and only just clears the backplate of the standard bridge on Fenders. Might not work on the bigger bridges some Fenders have .
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.