Shim in the pocket

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
BazzBass

Shim in the pocket

Post by BazzBass » 18 Jan 2018, 17:13

my MIM Jazz appears to have a slight ramp at the end of the fretboard, I like a really low action.Sometimes notes on frets above the 15th fret don't ring out as much as they do elsewhere. It was worse before, I raised the saddles a bit and added a bit more relief and that fixed it mostly, just lately, every now and then a note will not ring out as the string touches a fret near the end of the board.

Is this a case where putting a shim at the open end of the neck pocket will result in 'lifting' the string off the end frets?

I hope I described it clearly.

PS I guess I should first buy a steel metre rule to check the frets?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

narcdor

Re: Shim in the pocket

Post by narcdor » 18 Jan 2018, 19:56

If the string height, nut and neck relief are set properly and there’s a ramp, no a shim in the pocket will not help. You will likely either need to level the frets and recrown if it’s only slight, or if it’s significant pull the frets level the board and refret.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 19 Jan 2018, 19:04

above the 15th fret don't ring out as much as they do elsewhere. It was worse before, I raised the saddles a bit and added a bit more relief
Without actually seeing the neck, it's only possible to respond with generalisations, but just remember that the trussrod doesn't effect the neck past the 14th fret (for fender basses that is). And adding relief also adds string height, so you may actually find that for a few buzzes above the 15th, you need to straighten the neck so that raising the saddles has less effect on the overall string height and keeps the bass relatively playable.

If there is little or no relief left to adjust, and the action is moderate to high, but you still get buzzes up at 15+, then yeah I'm afraid it needs a fret dress.

Also be aware that Mexican fenders are budget instruments and as such they probably don't have glue under the frets. So before smashing those fret tops with your fav file, I'd definitely check for loose ones man...
robkiddmusic.com
fb/robkiddmusicofficial

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 20 Jan 2018, 12:32

bassbass wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 19:04

Also be aware that Mexican fenders are budget instruments and as such they probably don't have glue under the frets. So before smashing those fret tops with your fav file, I'd definitely check for loose ones man...
I wouldn't call thousand dollar instruments "budget" but I will check for this, thanks. I have MIA and MIM basses and imho MIM are not budget, my SX is though hehe

thank you both for your advice, I'll do another inspection :)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts