Build #3, 4, 5 ...

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
Curto

Re: Build #3, 4, 5 ...

Post by Curto » 09 Sep 2018, 18:35

Cheers.
Carbatec order on its way.
Just need to source some pin size nails now ...
Custom 32

basshack

Post by basshack » 10 Sep 2018, 08:53

Did you get anything else at the same time? So much nice stuff I can't help myself but buy that other thing I might need.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Curto

Post by Curto » 10 Sep 2018, 09:18

Haha! I did actually ... a set of scrapers, a burnisher, some new safety glasses to replace my scratched up pair, and a set of drill bits.
Custom 32

Curto

Post by Curto » 29 Oct 2018, 09:37

Got up earlier this morning to make time to do some work on these builds. Bandsawed the rough shape on two bodies and one neck.

Next, some sanding followed by some round over routing (which I approach with fear and trembling)

I might give the neck pocket method on this website a go?
www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/pocket/index.htm

Sent from my CPH1719 using Tapatalk

Custom 32

basshack

Post by basshack » 29 Oct 2018, 21:24

I’m sorry but that method still relies on you getting the neck in the right position to clamp the boards onto it. With a good centre line on the body and careful measurement you can locate the pocket on the body, make a good template and rout away. You still have to shape the butt of the neck to the pocket anyway and that’s the fun bit where a bit too much slack can be introduced.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 30 Oct 2018, 07:30

Routed neck pockets suck. So many places things can go wrong. I'm thinking through how to do a different style of neck attachment at the moment. Course you all know I can't do anything normal. :lol:
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

drbass

Post by drbass » 30 Oct 2018, 07:52

Curto wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 09:37
Got up earlier this morning to make time to do some work on these builds. Bandsawed the rough shape on two bodies and one neck.

Next, some sanding followed by some round over routing (which I approach with fear and trembling)

I might give the neck pocket method on this website a go?
www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/pocket/index.htm

Sent from my CPH1719 using Tapatalk
Looking great, Paul,

I particularly like the multi-laminate body.

While I'm quite comfortable with the router these days (confident but most definitely not cocky) I tend not to round over any more. My bodies generally have a lot of contouring anyway - which is not consistent all the way round - so I might as well use rasps and files all the way (particularly now that I have those amazing Shinto rasps - how good are they?).

I've also thought about doing the the neck pocket (and indeed the pickup) route in a similar way but a) it's rather fiddly when you have a large piece of timber with potentially uneven surfaces, and b) if it goes wrong it's wrong.
I'd rather put some effort into making a good template (I DO use a straight edge of an MDF board as guide for the template router bit). Doesn't matter if you get that wrong the first time, just rinse and repeat, and you have a nice flat surface.

Have fun!

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Curto

Post by Curto » 30 Oct 2018, 12:25

Thanks for the input.
As each neck is slightly different, that would mean making a new template for each neck?
'https://www.bestbassgear.com/ebass/arti ... ation.html
Custom 32

drbass

Post by drbass » 30 Oct 2018, 12:53

Curto wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:25
Thanks for the input.
As each neck is slightly different, that would mean making a new template for each neck?
Yes, if your necks are slightly different you'll need a new template every time.

I just determine/measure very carefully what size and shape the neck will have, mark it out on MDF, and then cut/rasp/sand it to the final shape.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 30 Oct 2018, 22:12

drbass wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:53
Curto wrote:
Thanks for the input.
Yes, if your necks are slightly different you'll need a new template every time.

I just determine/measure very carefully what size and shape the neck will have, mark it out on MDF, and then cut/rasp/sand it to the final shape.

Regards,
Michael
And that's what I hate about regular nneck pockets. The other way round it is Lazer cut templates, but that assumes repeat builds.

drbass

Post by drbass » 31 Oct 2018, 08:47

slowlearner wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 22:12
drbass wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 12:53
Curto wrote:
Thanks for the input.

Regards,
Michael
And that's what I hate about regular nneck pockets. The other way round it is Lazer cut templates, but that assumes repeat builds.
Kind of ironic coming from you, Pete, considering you're always looking for non-conventional solutions that invariably end up being super-complex ;) :D :poke:

For my Manta and Merlin models I've adapted a "one size fits all" neck pocket approach, just a plain rectangular rout, totally straightforward. It requires a little bit of fiddling around with the neck itself but once you get your head around how to do it it's totally simple.

Regards,
Michael

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 31 Oct 2018, 10:21

drbass wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 08:47
Kind of ironic coming from you, Pete, considering you're always looking for non-conventional solutions that invariably end up being super-complex ;) :D :poke:

For my Manta and Merlin models I've adapted a "one size fits all" neck pocket approach, just a plain rectangular rout, totally straightforward. It requires a little bit of fiddling around with the neck itself but once you get your head around how to do it it's totally simple.

Regards,
Michael
I'm like Alanis Morrisette, I don't do irony. :p

I take your point, but actually I disagree. The last instrument I made had no neck pocket template. It has no neck pocket. It was incredibly easy and repeatable to build in that respect. I think we need to lift eyes much further than the fender-model and iterations coming off that. I agree that you're approach has significant merit to it. You've made it work for yourself. Well done.

But as you know, I'm more interested in much higher efficiencies of building well outside the normal box. So yes, I'm going to keep pushing further out. I'm not new in doing this. Howe-Orm guitars some 120 years ago were playing with this.

http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/blog/my ... howe-orme/

In fact, lots of acoustic guitar builders were heavily invested in building much more simple neck joints. So are upright bass builders. Think for a moment how you might build one with just one furniture bolt.

drbass

Post by drbass » 31 Oct 2018, 11:58

I was mostly pulling your leg, Pete.

Having said that the solution to "no neck pocket" is easy: neck-through.

As you know the issue with that is that adhering to conventional aesthetics with a neck-through is a bit of a "pain in the neck". Nothing stops you from just doing the Steinberger thing though.

Any way, obviously a topic that can be discussed in much more detail but maybe not in this thread.

Sorry, Paul, for hi-jacking.

Regards,
Michael

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 31 Oct 2018, 13:14

In answer to your original post... It's well worth watching Carl Thompson's vids talking about neck construction.

Now Carl is an odd duck for sure, but he's done most of what the rest of us are still finding out. He's also completely without guile or pride. He just does what he does trying to make a good bass the easiest way possible.

Curto

Post by Curto » 01 Nov 2018, 09:16

I like his idea about 'making a hole without making a hole." What others could call a simulated neck-through construction.
Custom 32