Build #12 - 6 string fretless (warning; crazy content)

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
BigDaddy

Re: Build #12 - 6 string fretless (warning; crazy content)

Post by BigDaddy » 12 Jan 2018, 09:06

slowlearner wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 22:28
I still have another wing to do. What really messed me up were a few roundover spots where the wood started to tear out. There's more of that on the other wing. I think it's time to sharpen my router bits... or find softer wood.

It sometimes helps to look at climb cutting in certain spots with the router depending on the grain. You probably already know this but just in case you don't, have a gander here http://www.leevalley.com/us/shopping/Te ... px?p=56809

I love reading all these build threads - makes me miss my tools (but not the mess :lol: )
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg, Tecamp & Aguilar

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 12 Jan 2018, 09:15

That is a very familiar before and after, I'm the same, especially with cleaning and gardening.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 29 Jan 2018, 21:07

Feels like it's been ages getting back to this. Every time I was ready to do some I got distracted by the car, holidays or sickness. Still back in it now. I did some more sanding tonight, getting from 200 down to 400. I briefly entertained 600, but really that's just silly. I still have to hand sand the oil in, so I should be fine.

You may have noticed I changed my mind again and went with the black stain. There are a bunch of reasons for this, but I'm really happy I did now.

I've had an abiding dislike for black guitar for a long time but this is different. There's a "piano" quality about it when it's wet, so it should look amazing oiled and waxed. I've left the neck natural. I will sand it back some and see what that's like before I start oiling things. I also need to finalize PU positions before I do too much more.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 30 Jan 2018, 19:54

Best bass for metal! Coming along nicely there. Which oil/wax treatment are you planning? I picked up some tru oil and stock wax to play around with but haven’t tried them out yet. I’m thinking about refinishing my mahogany P which I did with lemon/baby/mineral oil and Warwick wax, the finish is just way too thin to protect mahogany but looks fantastic.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 12 Feb 2018, 12:21

What finish? Hmmm... either wipe on poly or maybe even Danish oil I hate the dullness of it on most things, but it might suit this well.

Finally got back to it today for a bit. I need to cut the nut slot. Having been putting it off. Was worried about how I would hold a guide straight. Then this morning as I was do it, it suddenly hit me!

Worked a treat being the same radius as the board.

So all done, then roughed out. I started shaping the end of the fingerboard so the strings will curve toward their anchors and not have a hard break angle off the end of the neck.

More to do, but I'm on the right track. Not sure if I'll use that nut blank I made now though. Might be just a piece of Jarrah.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 13 Feb 2018, 10:27

Did quick test on my scrap headstock last night with some danish oil over the top of the black stain. Hmm. Hated it. It's so dull it doesn't even looked oiled. Fail. Back to tru-oil or similar.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 13 Feb 2018, 19:02

Put a coat of tru-oil on the scrap headstock today. HEAPS better than the danish oil. :)

Knocking off the grain ends on the body and headstock at the moment. Then it'll be ready for oiling... or whatever.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 14 Feb 2018, 16:37

Put the final coats of stain on and finally decided on a the finish for the body and headstock today. Was going to buy tru-oil, but at $15 for a thimble full, I decided to make my own again. Mind you, this lot cost me $22. So, all paint seems to be expensive these day. I'll be trying for a slightly different mix this time.

25% linseed oil
25% poly
50% turps

Hoping that will speed up the drying process and I can put on a million thin coats. The neck will get wipe on poly. I've found with my sweaty hands it seems to work better. Not sure about the fingerboard yet, but I think wipe on poly maybe.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 16 Feb 2018, 06:31

I've done 3 coats on the bass now. It looks pretty black, although I've noticed the same thing happening over and over. That is, as I wipe on the oil/poly, it wipes off some of the stain. In most places that's no great issue, but the headstock isn't as black as it was. Again, I'm not super stress about it, but last night I poured out the old 25/25/50 mix and went back to an equal parts mix to try and get around it. Made difference. Took the stain off just the same. So, I could end up with a greyer bass than a black one. No biggy, but there it is. I'm also yet to 'sand it in', so we'll see how much that takes off as well.

drbass

Post by drbass » 16 Feb 2018, 06:46

Interesting observations there, Pete - a case FOR spraying I suppose since you don't wipe off anything.

I've had similar experiences with the Oslo stuff I'm using. Both the padauk which naturally has pigments causing the red/orange colour) and the dyed ash left the rags red and blue, respectively, even after 3 applications with gentle 0000 steel wool treatment after each application.

Padauk just seems to leach pigment no matter what. I wiped a little piece with methanol and gee, incredible.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 16 Feb 2018, 12:13

Yeah, until I can find a way to spray waterbased lacquer that doesn't make a huge mess, I'll be stuck with this dilemma. The bass is end up looking a little patina-ed and grungy, but I can deal with that.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 18 Feb 2018, 17:23

So, the good news is, the stain has stopped wiping off.

The bad new is... actually, there's no bad news. :D

Some pics of the body before I put another coat on today...

And a pic with the neck and some shellite to show the grain on the board...

I was tempted to stain the whole neck and board for a few minutes there. Glad I didn't now. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. Like a really worn piano polish. It actually has a little more shine than shows up the in pics, but the camera on my phone was struggling to focus on timber. I don't think I'm going to put many more coats on it. Maybe one more coat tomorrow morning and then put it out in the sun to really harden up (like I should). I guess I need to stain the bridge block and some other bits and get the neck ready for finishing.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 02 Mar 2018, 08:50

Been a bit distracted by the rotten car again. Finally trying to move forward with it again.

Bridge block (Not tone block) stained and oiled with danish oil.

Neck and bridge plates painted. I meant to use matt paint, but I only had gloss. So that's what they got.

I pocked the surface of the metal before I paint it. I wanted it slightly distressed just like the timber. Didn't come out quite so clearly under the paint though.

I almost put it together, but I need to drill the holes for the PU positions. I'd rather not pull it apart again. I'm thinking J bass positions, but with the neck PU a little closer to the neck. So I guess I'm just building another Fender clone. Right? ;)

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 02 Mar 2018, 09:10

P.s., got these the other day too...

hamo

Post by hamo » 02 Mar 2018, 09:40

I'm not seeing any pic on the last post?
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter