Tilt back mods

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3737
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Tilt back mods

Post by ozrider » 06 Jul 2017, 12:08

I've been looking around the net for tilt back options for small cabs. I have two CN112s and I like the idea of chocking the top cab with a couple of door stops to get it on an angle so I can hear it better, like in the pic below.

Just wondering why the amp wouldn't fall off the top? or the top cab fall off with vibrations like the way the bergs in the pic below are setup :shrug: Is it just the camera angle making it look precarious? I have messaged the OP in that thread but wondering about people's DIY efforts. A trip to bunnings coming up I reckon.

Image

User avatar
BazzBass
Posts: 2811
Joined: 28 Sep 2014, 13:36
Location: Adelaide

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by BazzBass » 06 Jul 2017, 12:48

a thin strip of dowel along the back edge of the bottom cab would prevent the two rubber feet from slipping over the edge, or using double sided tape, place those round plate shaped things you put under chairs to protect floors, might be better, holds the feet in place. Spot the engineering dropout hehe

these are from Clark Rubber
Image
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

User avatar
narcdor
Posts: 3893
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 16:36
Location: Melbourne

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by narcdor » 06 Jul 2017, 13:55

I've been using the markbass stand which is even steeper in angle with no issues. It does grip to the cab with Velcro, but doesn't stick to the floor. It angles a cab up at ear direction from the floor so it's extreme. As long as you have some kind of rear rubber feet I can't see a problem. The hardest part for me was where do I put my amp now the top is not level? Velcro again for a micro head but for tolex and my tube heads no solution so far.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3737
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by ozrider » 06 Jul 2017, 14:28

narcdor wrote:I've been using the markbass stand which is even steeper in angle with no issues. It does grip to the cab with Velcro, but doesn't stick to the floor. It angles a cab up at ear direction from the floor so it's extreme. As long as you have some kind of rear rubber feet I can't see a problem. The hardest part for me was where do I put my amp now the top is not level? Velcro again for a micro head but for tolex and my tube heads no solution so far.
Yeah that's probably the most problematic bit... the amp. A small amp would slide off I reckon.

User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3737
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by ozrider » 06 Jul 2017, 15:12

From the TB poster regarding the pic above

"A Berg 210 (as a top cab) happens to fit nice and snug between the front feet (just luck), using an AmpWedge. It does not move when playing. The angle though makes putting any amp on top, not really possible. For awhile, I Velcro'd a second AmpWedge in reverse on top, to re-achieve a level surface, but it was a hassle bringing wedges..."

I can see the 210 berg feet in the pic above that he mentions. I have the 112s tho, but still it's the amp that's the problem. I have some ideas of how to put it all together... will head to Bunnings to see what will work later today

User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3737
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by ozrider » 06 Jul 2017, 15:55

wonder if this would work to hold the cabs together?

Image

User avatar
Petebass
Posts: 8507
Joined: 31 Oct 2008, 07:07
Location: Hervey Bay, QLD

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by Petebass » 06 Jul 2017, 16:11

I wish I'd taken a pic ...... I will try to explain it with words. Many years ago i was touring with 6x10s behind me in the usual position, plus two purpose built bass wedges in front of me. Basically two rigs, with one amp for each set of cabs. Yes it was a ridiculously loud band.

The amp on top of the bass wedge was standard 2ru high and 19" wide. To stop it from sliding off the wedge, I just used a piece of 2mm thick aluminium scwewed to the amps rack ears. I made it 3ru long so I effectively had 1ru worth of aluminium overhanging the front of the cab, acting as a bracket that prevented the amp from sliding off the cab. Note this only works if the cab is at least as wide as the amp.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

bigswifty
Posts: 1423
Joined: 24 Apr 2011, 18:53
Location: Sydney Hills District
Contact:

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by bigswifty » 06 Jul 2017, 16:47

I use the Markbass velcro thingy with my Markbass Combos. It works great, although it's a very "steep" layback. Good if that's what you want.

Several times I've run the 15inch combo with a separate stand-alone head, so just using the combo as a 15inch cab. I just put my road case next to it with the head on top of the case.

Mike
I'm a mean offloading machine!

User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3737
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by ozrider » 06 Jul 2017, 18:07

Petebass wrote:I wish I'd taken a pic ...... I will try to explain it with words. Many years ago i was touring with 6x10s behind me in the usual position, plus two purpose built bass wedges in front of me. Basically two rigs, with one amp for each set of cabs. Yes it was a ridiculously loud band.

The amp on top of the bass wedge was standard 2ru high and 19" wide. To stop it from sliding off the wedge, I just used a piece of 2mm thick aluminium scwewed to the amps rack ears. I made it 3ru long so I effectively had 1ru worth of aluminium overhanging the front of the cab, acting as a bracket that prevented the amp from sliding off the cab. Note this only works if the cab is at least as wide as the amp.
that's kinda what I was thinking pete, like a little S shaped bracket that clips over the front of the cab and under and behind the amp - that's what I think you're describing

User avatar
BassLine
Posts: 8361
Joined: 04 Oct 2009, 12:36
Location: Sydney

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by BassLine » 06 Jul 2017, 18:43

Cab on the Floor - try Standback.
http://www.standback.net/store.php

Budget Stand
An idea stolen from a musical college -- cut triangular notches in two sides of a milk crate. It serves as a tilt back amp stand on the stage, then you carry your cables in it when you load out.
Or this
A spring loaded tilt back handle screwed to the bottom of the cab works great (toward the front with the handle pulling outward to the front of the cab. This comes standard on EA's cabs... no extra piece to carry around, and as long as you also install small rubber feet on the bottom of the combo (a good idea anyway), you can use the combo normal or tilt back with no problem.
Image


Here's Furniture Design ideas for musos & studios.
http://www.dochwallpapers.ml/what-s-new ... er-stands/

Image
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

User avatar
Petebass
Posts: 8507
Joined: 31 Oct 2008, 07:07
Location: Hervey Bay, QLD

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by Petebass » 06 Jul 2017, 18:47

ozrider wrote:
that's kinda what I was thinking pete, like a little S shaped bracket that clips over the front of the cab and under and behind the amp - that's what I think you're describing
Yep, same concept anyway. Mine wasn't s shaped, but as long as you're using the font of the cab to anchor the amp, it should definitely stop it from sliding off.

I just remembered I also added some Velcro to the bottom of the amp. The cab was covered in carpet so the Velcro gave it that extra bit of security. I was paranoid though because of the amp fell off, it was going to fall into the crowd.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

bigswifty
Posts: 1423
Joined: 24 Apr 2011, 18:53
Location: Sydney Hills District
Contact:

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by bigswifty » 06 Jul 2017, 19:31

Happy for someone to prove me wrong, but looking at the manual for the Standback I can't see it working for any of the cabs or combos I own. They would all tip forward. Or so it looks like from the photos?

Same goes for many of the metal tubing contraptions. One of our regular venues' sound tech insists on all cabs being tilted back and supplies a variety of stands to use. None of them will work with any if my bass cabs, they are all way too deep and just fall forward unless the stand is tilted so far back its aimed at the ceiling. Even then its precarious.

Mike



BassLine wrote:Cab on the Floor - try Standback.
http://www.standback.net/store.php

Budget Stand
An idea stolen from a musical college -- cut triangular notches in two sides of a milk crate. It serves as a tilt back amp stand on the stage, then you carry your cables in it when you load out.
Or this
A spring loaded tilt back handle screwed to the bottom of the cab works great (toward the front with the handle pulling outward to the front of the cab. This comes standard on EA's cabs... no extra piece to carry around, and as long as you also install small rubber feet on the bottom of the combo (a good idea anyway), you can use the combo normal or tilt back with no problem.

Here's Furniture Design ideas for musos & studios.
http://www.dochwallpapers.ml/what-s-new ... er-stands/

Image
I'm a mean offloading machine!

User avatar
BassLine
Posts: 8361
Joined: 04 Oct 2009, 12:36
Location: Sydney

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by BassLine » 06 Jul 2017, 20:50

bigswifty wrote:Happy for someone to prove me wrong, but looking at the manual for the Standback I can't see it working for any of the cabs or combos I own. They would all tip forward. Or so it looks like from the photos?
It adjusts but only so far. They're better suited to shallow amps IME Mike.

Rule of thumb....
- if it falls back = put a stand behind it.
- if it falls forward = wedge under the front.


For the smaller room in the rehearsal studio we use, I lay my cab on its back (on top of a milk crate). Solved the sound problems immediately.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3737
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by ozrider » 06 Jul 2017, 22:06

Trying tinypic.com but it puts my photos sideways.... but I think I will strap the two cabs together to be safe. I have the straps in my kit for the trolley - makes sense to repurpose them like this.

Image

User avatar
bassbass
Posts: 787
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 16:05
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Tilt back mods

Post by bassbass » 07 Jul 2017, 01:54

Around 15 years ago I made a trolly that has hinged triangular flaps and locking pins that hold a speaker up like a wedge. The nice thing is you can wheel it around like this at a sound check. It fits both of my speakers, although I only use the flaps for the 210. Plus the triangles offer two angles. I still use it all the time as a trolly, but rarely as a tilt-back thing.

http://imgur.com/lK0uLEJ

http://imgur.com/a/nXj28

http://imgur.com/R5wEmqs

http://imgur.com/Vi2yCk0


And 4-5 years ago, I repurposed a plastic PA speaker that was on gumtree as a rehearsal/small gig speaker. It had wheels, and a pop up handle. I made a mounting ring so I could put a 12inch speaker where the original el cheapo (and blown) 15" driver had been. I also added a piezo horn, attenuator, and later a switchable inductor. It works well for keys and bass, but I never use it these days and I'll sell it when I get round to it.

http://imgur.com/a/2hEBp
robkiddmusic.com
fb/robkiddmusicofficial

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest