Custom Made Bass Electronics

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
PapaBear

Re: Custom Made Bass Electronics

Post by PapaBear » 03 Jul 2017, 13:26

Ah the alembic thing, yeah, that's tough. But, my old alembic sounded amazing, except that outboard box I carted around was annoying. Incredible tone though!

@PeterBass - Choice of centre freq is really interesting. I have developed a sweepable mid control (nothing revolutionary about that), and done something very similar with multi band mid controls (i.e. low mid / high mid). I think that it would be reasonable to do something with the bass and treble side of things. Also I know what you mean regarding pre's coming with useful iirc Glockenklang come with a 40Hz bass and 18kHz treble - I can't even hear 18kHz anymore.

drbass

Post by drbass » 03 Jul 2017, 14:53

PapaBear wrote:Ah the alembic thing, yeah, that's tough. But, my old alembic sounded amazing, except that outboard box I carted around was annoying. Incredible tone though!

@PeterBass - Choice of centre freq is really interesting. I have developed a sweepable mid control (nothing revolutionary about that), and done something very similar with multi band mid controls (i.e. low mid / high mid). I think that it would be reasonable to do something with the bass and treble side of things. Also I know what you mean regarding pre's coming with useful iirc Glockenklang come with a 40Hz bass and 18kHz treble - I can't even hear 18kHz anymore.
Been exposed to the Glockenklang on-board pres (Dingwall Z2, and a couple of my own builds) for a while now. Yes, those centre frequencies look crazy on paper but they certainly work. The bass adds bass but never mud, and the treble certainly makes things sparkly without adding a lot of hiss (of course there's some).

I can't hear 18kHz but I can say with certainty that the Glock pre is eminently useful in practical applications.

Not here to "defend" Glockenklang, just describing my observations. Whatever they're doing seems to work ... .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 20 Jul 2017, 20:48

"Maybe offer one at 40Hz and another at 80Hz? Then do something similar for mid and treble frequencies."

Nice idea , I agree .