Stripping a stained body

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
noplanb

Stripping a stained body

Post by noplanb » 22 May 2017, 21:27

I have a future project Epi EB3 that I want to strip back to its natural mahogany(?)
It of course has a black-faced headstock with mother-pearl style inlay of the Epiphone name - I would like to keep the name.
Looking for pros and cons of the different methods - I thought I could take off all the hardware and give it to one of those vintage-door strippers - ie soak in a bath of (nasty) methyl chloride stuff - but then would I lose the inlay?
I've seen some old doors stripped back - it takes out all the old paint from the grain, so I'm hoping it will take out the old stain, too.
Also interested if it is possible to keep the black-face on the headstock....
Ideas? Thoughts? - thanks
I see..............basses!

Bill Fitzmaurice

Re: Stripping a stained body

Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » 22 May 2017, 21:54

Stripping the stain requires sanding to bare wood anyway, so you might as well just sand and forget about using a chemical stripper.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 22 May 2017, 23:17

I'm with Bill. Unless it has a poly clear coat over the stain? I'd use paint stripper on the poly, then just sand like crazy.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

drbass

Post by drbass » 23 May 2017, 06:53

... and "crazy" is the correct term here. Totally third Bill and Pete her, won't be much fun but it's the way to go.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 23 May 2017, 09:47

paint stripper will barely work on this type of finish. if you have a cool dark place to keep the body, stripper can stay wet overnight, but will probably need 4 or 5 applications. A heat gun and scraper is far more efficient. then finish sand by hand through 3-4 grits. the edges/sides will be very tedious. a cabinet scraper will be useful here too.
robkiddmusic.com
fb/robkiddmusicofficial