looking to do my first refret on a Framus Jazz box

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
billybass

looking to do my first refret on a Framus Jazz box

Post by billybass » 12 May 2017, 14:25

Hi All,
I'm about to do my first re-fret on a Framus Jazz Guitar a bought a few years ago.
Where is the best place to get frets?
What frets to get?
The guitar has been re-fretted with big fat frets, they are stuffed.
I like smaller frets, I think it intonate better.
Is there any utube I could be looking at before I start?
Cheers BillyBass

basshack

Re: looking to do my first refret on a Framus Jazz box

Post by basshack » 12 May 2017, 20:38

For fret wire OS you have a few choices like Warmoth or Stewmac. Locally, or at least Australian, you have Australian Luthier Supplies amongst others.

What fret wire? Smaller frets than what you have.... :rollno: Choices are not endless but there are lots of choices of material and size.

And yes there are lots of YouTube video's on how to do it. Trick is be very patient and use the right tools to get the best results.

If I can go left field a bit. If the jumbo's are stuffed can you re-crown them with what material is left? Might be a longer process but often repairing the fretboard after pulling out the old frets is a long process too.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

billybass

Re: looking to do my first refret on a Framus Jazz box

Post by billybass » 14 May 2017, 08:37

thanks for all the leads basshack,

I have started to remove the frets, the ones on the guitar are stuffed, the guy who did the last fret dress must have been in a hurry or didn't care.

I lemon oiled the fretboard first to try to make the wood less brittle, I have been using a soldering iron to heat up the fret, then a steel pallet knife, (used for oil painting) to lift the frets, then gently rock and remove.
I guess there will be some damage, but it's not too bad.

I have ordered stuff from StewMac before, so I will probably go there. I will measure the tang of the existing frets and then decide on the fret-wire I need to do the job.

I should have picked an easier guitar to do my first re-fret, but what the heck, this guitar has a bound fretboard, and block inlays, that means I'll have to trim all the fret ends to fit the frets in and be gentle resurfacing with wet and dry for a consistent fretboard profile.

I'll keep you posted,

Cheers BillyBass