Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
User avatar
slowlearner
Posts: 5724
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 14:30
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by slowlearner » 04 May 2017, 22:05

As many of you know, I've been on a long journey to build the most innovative (silliest) instruments possible. I've been thinking through this for ages. I believe I've come up with something truly interesting.

Image

Before I tell you what it is, I want to tease you all a bit and get you thinking. You guys know I prefer bolt on neck joints. What I've been trying to sort out how to do that in such a way that I can seriously compromise the stiffness of the body. I want to do this to have an instrument that isn't just a straight beam, but is also fully electric. I also want something very easy to build. As many of you are aware, most of what we play these days is totally over-engineered for what it needs to do. What I'm planning will take me back to some of the truly stupid ideas I started with, but push well beyond it. Let me leave you with this question...

How can you build a bolt on bass without a neck pocket? :shrug:
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

bigswifty
Posts: 1423
Joined: 24 Apr 2011, 18:53
Location: Sydney Hills District
Contact:

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by bigswifty » 04 May 2017, 23:09

Ding ding ding.

Bolt the neck directly to the front face of the body. Mount the bridge on a block of corresponding thickness (preferably with string through for stability of the block).

I speak from the purest of ignorance.

Mike
I'm a mean offloading machine!

User avatar
slowlearner
Posts: 5724
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 14:30
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by slowlearner » 05 May 2017, 07:40

Yes, you could do that... or something completely different. ;)
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

User avatar
SneakyJak
Posts: 1556
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 22:15
Location: Canberra

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by SneakyJak » 05 May 2017, 07:57

slowlearner wrote:Yes, you could do that... or something completely different. ;)
Embrace your inner Rick Toone ?
Image

Or

Image

The reason I say that is the design is very reminiscent of the Tosin Abasi guitar he did
Image

Image

basshack
Posts: 4517
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by basshack » 05 May 2017, 08:23

Bolt straight through the wings picking up neck as you go. Neck thru but bolt on.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

User avatar
narcdor
Posts: 3893
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 16:36
Location: Melbourne

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by narcdor » 05 May 2017, 10:13

Butt the neck to the body and bolt through both lengthways parallel with the strings. For bonus points put the neck body join on a hinge and you have a travel guitar!

Like this but no pocket and more than one bolt
Image
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

User avatar
slowlearner
Posts: 5724
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 14:30
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by slowlearner » 05 May 2017, 11:42

SneakyJak wrote:
slowlearner wrote:Yes, you could do that... or something completely different. ;)
Embrace your inner Rick Toone ?
I'm fairly confident my new idea will make Rick gasp.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

User avatar
maxgroover
Posts: 3459
Joined: 19 May 2009, 11:28
Location: Sydney

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by maxgroover » 05 May 2017, 11:46

What about using a couple of strong magnets? One on the body and one on the neck :)
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3737
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by ozrider » 05 May 2017, 12:20

slowlearner wrote:As many of you know, I've been on a long journey to build the most innovative (silliest) instruments possible. I've been thinking through this for ages. I believe I've come up with something truly interesting.

Image

Before I tell you what it is, I want to tease you all a bit and get you thinking. You guys know I prefer bolt on neck joints. What I've been trying to sort out how to do that in such a way that I can seriously compromise the stiffness of the body. I want to do this to have an instrument that isn't just a straight beam, but is also fully electric. I also want something very easy to build. As many of you are aware, most of what we play these days is totally over-engineered for what it needs to do. What I'm planning will take me back to some of the truly stupid ideas I started with, but push well beyond it. Let me leave you with this question...

How can you build a bolt on bass without a neck pocket? :shrug:
I think you're building a neck through with bolt on wings...

User avatar
BazzBass
Posts: 2811
Joined: 28 Sep 2014, 13:36
Location: Adelaide

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by BazzBass » 05 May 2017, 12:38

ozrider wrote:
slowlearner wrote:
I think you're building a neck through with bolt on wings...
yeah that was my thinking too, it actually makes sense, that's scary hehe
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

bigswifty
Posts: 1423
Joined: 24 Apr 2011, 18:53
Location: Sydney Hills District
Contact:

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by bigswifty » 05 May 2017, 13:22

Ok, it's crazy time - extend the truss rods through to the end of the body behind the bridge?
Mike
I'm a mean offloading machine!

User avatar
slowlearner
Posts: 5724
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 14:30
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by slowlearner » 05 May 2017, 19:58

BazzBass wrote:
ozrider wrote:
I think you're building a neck through with bolt on wings...
yeah that was my thinking too, it actually makes sense, that's scary hehe

Nope, think again. :hmm
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3737
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by ozrider » 05 May 2017, 20:14

slowlearner wrote:
BazzBass wrote:
ozrider wrote:
I think you're building a neck through with bolt on wings...
yeah that was my thinking too, it actually makes sense, that's scary hehe

Nope, think again. :hmm
no wings at all then.... :D

User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3737
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by ozrider » 05 May 2017, 20:19

wait, velcro for the wings

User avatar
slowlearner
Posts: 5724
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 14:30
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Crazy, crazy guitar/bass ideas - prototypes

Post by slowlearner » 05 May 2017, 22:56

ozrider wrote:wait, velcro for the wings
Bahahahahaha! :rolf:

Actually, I've got some super strong velcro in the shed... :hmm
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests