Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
packrat

Re: Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Post by packrat » 20 Apr 2018, 17:31

But the spalted wood /looks/ lovely, doesn't it?

B>

tyr0n

Post by tyr0n » 20 Apr 2018, 17:32

guys just to say thanks Michael for telling me about photo-bucket introducing a paywall.
well now i can see the pics and this is a good thread and brilliant topic regarding bass neck construction.
various design considerations can be gleaned as being behind these concepts when you think about it.

on the neck theory i might as well concede something in case you can comment about it or ignore it.
i had a Kalamazoo six string c.1930 f-hole which Gibson made without any truss rod and had a wedge neck.
after that i had a Gibson guitar with a truss rod which felt neck-heavy by comparison with the no-rod one.

another thing was the sound was altered by the truss rod presumably because the neck wood is dampened.
to have a truss rod is a compromise to some extent in some ways in my view although bass necks need one.

a few weeks ago i went to Cargill's shop and chatting with a luthier there he held up a maple neck to my ear.
knocking on it gently with his finger knuckle and saying listen hear the wood hear the maple neck ring.
he's right and i could certainly hear the distinct ringing of the "boing" sound clear as a bell like a Marimba.
makes you wonder whether truss rods might reduce it or hinder the sound waves resonance in the neck.

drbass

Post by drbass » 20 Apr 2018, 17:33

packrat wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 17:31
But the spalted wood /looks/ lovely, doesn't it?

B>
I agree but definitely a PITA to work with.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

basshack

Post by basshack » 20 Apr 2018, 21:27

drbass wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 15:39
Good to see Blaine in the workshop today finished the super-secret project.

Regards,
Michael
Not quite finished, a little bit of touch up work to do on the finish yet. But yes it's playing well and must say everyone at home thinks it's gorgeous. Big shout out to David and Rob who as always make the difference between a good and great build.

As we talked in the shop today the spalted wood is worth the effort for the finished product but it just takes so much more time than "normal" wood to get a good result. Persistence will pay off and you will create something beautiful in the end.

Sorry to hear about the fretboard slipping. I almost broke mine by putting too much tape on and having to lever it off so be careful there too.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 23 Apr 2018, 09:54

No pics.

Expert at using push-in threaded inserts now. Did some retro-fitting of those on the earlier builds that used wood screws for the electronics cover - required some creativity because the cavity routing didn't quite allow for that (not to worry - the latest iteration is completely compatible). All nice now.

Also fixed a "crack" along the glue line of the Indian rosewood top on the 5-string Kermit. Currently re-finishing it, and it'll be interesting to see if it'll be a seamless transition from old to new.

And sanding, of course. Filling and sanding. And filling and sanding. Did I mention sanding? Oh, and filling. But let me tell you: it'll look spectacular!

That is all.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 23 Apr 2018, 12:40

Yeah but :useless:

:D
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

drbass

Post by drbass » 25 Apr 2018, 14:35

More sanding, and a fair bit of wire brush action later.

It doesn't look all that different to before but believe me, the grain grooves are pretty prominent.

And here with a little methylated spirits:

That looks pretty spectacular already (I think). Next step Is to fill the grain. I'd love to have something a little less "firm" than TimberMate so I could just spread it over the body, let it set and dry, and then sand back.
Ivan used a nice technique but it doesn't fill the grain so you're left with a 3D surface which is a matter of taste.

Anyway, reasonably confident I'll have that done by week's end.

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 25 Apr 2018, 15:26

That looks amazing Michael. Regarding the grain enhancing, have you thought about trying the Feast & Watson tint method and then applying the timbermate to level things off? Just a thought.
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

drbass

Post by drbass » 25 Apr 2018, 16:19

Classic5 wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 15:26
That looks amazing Michael. Regarding the grain enhancing, have you thought about trying the Feast & Watson tint method and then applying the timbermate to level things off? Just a thought.
I had entertained the thought, Ivan, but ultimately I get a very similar contrast just with the TimberMate which means I can save myself a couple of steps and A LOT of sanding. And here it is:

Just drying off. I made a real slurry (probably 75/25 TimberMate/water) and used a cloth to rub it all in. My experience is that the slurry shrinks ever so slightly when drying which is to be expected since some of the volume is water which evaporates. I'll see what it looks like when rough-sanded and might apply a second layer over the top.

Sanding tomorrow - give it plenty of time to set.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 Apr 2018, 10:24

Timber.

Always nice when the package has this label on it:

Nicely wrapped stuff:

Quilted maple - this one is going on the first ever Kermit neck-through:

A back-and-sides set of quilted maple. The "back" (which of course will be a top but a thin one):

And the sides (well, one of them) which will be fretboards - just thick enough (but may require a contrast layer):

Check out that quilt!!!

Maple burl 1:

Maple burl 2:

And something different - amboyna burl:

Note that these are completely untreated/unprepped. The patterns/figures will pop a lot more once you put a little bit of work into it.

Exciting times ahead.

Regards,
Michael

packrat

Post by packrat » 26 Apr 2018, 10:35

Oh wow, those burls are lovely.

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 26 Apr 2018, 10:41

drbass wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 10:24
And something different - amboyna burl:
:drool:
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 26 Apr 2018, 11:15

They all look terrific :thumbup:

I have some stuff on it's way from there aswell, not really sure why :shrug:

The freight cost is a bit of a killer though. In my case it basically doubled the cost of the order.

packrat

Post by packrat » 26 Apr 2018, 11:30

I see spalted wood is conspiciously absent!

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 Apr 2018, 11:58

Classic5 wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 11:15
They all look terrific :thumbup:

I have some stuff on it's way from there aswell, not really sure why :shrug:

The freight cost is a bit of a killer though. In my case it basically doubled the cost of the order.
I know why, Ivan, because you're hooked ;) .
I normally order 4-5 items and choose the slowest delivery method so for me it adds about 20% - but this bunch was ordered early Feb so the wait is about 10 weeks. Fine with me if that helps keeping the cost down.

Yes, Matt, looks beautiful!

And Bruce, two reasons for absence of any spalted maple: 1) I've already harped on about enough, and 2) there wasn't any material that caught my eye.
All timber has its pitfalls - quilted maple tears out really easily for example, and the padauk is super-easy to sand but flakes off when you're digging in too hard with a file. Spalted maple is just on a different level altogether. Rest assured, it'll be an amazing-looking bass (and it will sound pretty damn good as well).

Regards,
Michael