Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
drbass

Re: Future Builds - Maybe Random

Post by drbass » 11 Jun 2017, 15:11

... and it works pretty much the way I planned it.

Initial stages of neck shaping (wenge is only liked by builders and players once it's finished, it's such a pain - literally - to work with). Still way too much of the "Ibanez shoulder" (I went to the Bass Centre yesterday - great to catch up, Ivan and Dale, fantastic to meet you in person, Matt - and their 6 strings had this very flat neck profile) so plenty of work left.
I also can't go to the neck-body transition because I need to properly fit the neck first but it's getting there:

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 11 Jun 2017, 15:55

Nice work on the luminlay Michael. It looks great against the wenge......really easy to see. :thumbup:

Good to catch up on Saturday too for some coffee and bass talk. I trust the gig at Heathcote went well.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 11 Jun 2017, 17:44

That came out really nice, very blade runner. The perfect combo of practicality and style. Bonus points for the prince lyrics.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

drbass

Post by drbass » 15 Jun 2017, 13:06

Starting to look like a bass:

Perfect fit, bolts connecting nicely and straight, very happy.

And the Luminlay looks pretty nice:

Tomorrow a bit of band-sawing to get the final body shape, thicknessing down to 38, routing the electronics and battery comps and probably the hole for the tone block. Can't do the pickups yet because I don't HAVE the pickups yet.

And of course work for the next one as well ... .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 15 Jun 2017, 13:24

Those side markers are really excellent. A standard for your future builds?
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

drbass

Post by drbass » 15 Jun 2017, 13:29

RedVee wrote:Those side markers are really excellent. A standard for your future builds?
I love them but they only make sense for an unlined fretless. Maple necks would work with a dark veneer.

Regards,
Michael

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 15 Jun 2017, 16:05

drbass wrote:
RedVee wrote:Those side markers are really excellent. A standard for your future builds?
I love them but they only make sense for an unlined fretless. Maple necks would work with a dark veneer.

Regards,
Michael
You know I meantioned doing an inlay on the side through to the back like you've done here and I got sledged for it. Maybe it makes more sense when you see it as opposed to describing it

drbass

Post by drbass » 15 Jun 2017, 16:13

SneakyJak wrote:
drbass wrote:

Regards,
Michael
You know I meantioned doing an inlay on the side through to the back like you've done here and I got sledged for it. Maybe it makes more sense when you see it as opposed to describing it
Had no idea, Pete, must have missed it.

I'm just trying to combine practicality with simple aesthetics - I don't care much for inlays or even dots on finger/fret boards.

Regards,
Michael

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 15 Jun 2017, 16:22

I always think to myself if I'm looking at the dots on the fingerboard I'm doing something horrible to my neck/back/wrist/technique.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

drbass

Post by drbass » 18 Jun 2017, 17:00

Put in some elbow grease and things are getting there.

Neck is almost done - the profile is close, and it's still a little "uneven". Fingerboard needs a little more attention at the body end, it's a little too high (probably 0.5 - 1 mm) so sanding sanding sanding.

Here's the neck-body transition - still some fine-tuning to be done:

Body shape is pretty much done (using rasps and files) and I'm currently removing the file marks with 120 grit. Lots of fun, particularly in the ash.

Lucky again with the ash grain, should look rather spectacular once I grain-filled :) :

The spalted maple top is nice to look at

but a nightmare to work with. The epoxy didn't really penetrate very deep which means there are sections that crumble when you even just touch it:

At this stage the plan is to fill those "voids" with clear epoxy and leave the bits as "3D" features (of course I'd sand everything back level). Will have to have a chat with the Maestro next week.

Should have everything done end of next week, including the remaining routs (pickup and tone block for the bridges), the actual tone block (wenge) and the nut (wenge). We'll see after that.

Edit: I'm quite glad to say that it actually looks like a "Kermit" bass. OK, it's not finished yet but this is the first time I'm attempting to "re-generate" something (body shape, headstock, overall vibe) and I feel I'm pretty close (different neck-body connection notwithstanding).

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 23 Jun 2017, 21:14

Next one (#09): Kermit-type 5 string with a difference.

Walnut body, maple contrast layer and indian rosewood top. Maple neck and board, and Seymour Duncan MM pickup and pre (just purchased from Chris - thank you). Should be an interesting and relaxed build after all this spalt, ash and wenge.

This one is probably going to be for sale (I know, I've been "talking" about this for a while now and have yet to make an official announcement but I felt that I needed to skill up a little before offering). If you are interested let me know (might even make it a Manta) and we can have a chat.

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 23 Jun 2017, 22:10

Terrific looking rosewood top :cool:

drbass

Post by drbass » 24 Jun 2017, 16:16

Final quick sanding session, then a moderate intensity treatment of the northern ash part with a wire brush. Applied the ebony filler initially with a little dilution to give it a chance to get into the grain, then added a second more paste-like layer, pushing down hard.

Leaving it to set over night, then sand back and check it out.

Installed 2 mm Luminlay dots at the top, or next to, the odd frets (and of course 12 and 24). Really happy with how all this is turning out:

BUT: really annoyed with the wenge. Just cracks along the growth rings, had a 14 mm thick piece all lined up to put the threaded inserts in, had a look at it, saw some crack lines, applied a little bit of pressure and bang, that was it. Hope that doesn't happen when I tighten the truss rod.

And here's my first "three piece neck glue-up at home" - very tight margins in terms of thickness of the material (trying to maximise what I can get out of a piece of maple). Should be OK.

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 24 Jun 2017, 22:58

Very interested in seeing how that ebony filler turns out :yep

Also....I saw the red bass body today. Looking really good :thumbup:

drbass

Post by drbass » 25 Jun 2017, 11:21

Classic5 wrote:Very interested in seeing how that ebony filler turns out :yep

Also....I saw the red bass body today. Looking really good :thumbup:
Happy - much more uniform than previous attempts but might need a couple of re-applications in some spots, and a little more sanding in others. Always a fine balance between sanding it back far enough to get the light colour of the ash back (the very top layer retains some "darkness") and too far which means you remove the filler from the grain. We'll see, plenty of time.

Also need to re-consider the shape of the electronics "cave" I think.

Regards,
Michael