Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
SneakyJak

Re: Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Post by SneakyJak » 25 Mar 2018, 21:26

This one getting some colour ?

packrat

Post by packrat » 25 Mar 2018, 21:45

I'm hoping that doesn't become a signature blue!

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 Mar 2018, 04:06

SneakyJak wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 21:26
This one will get the usual grain enhancement on the back but no colour, all natural - nothing to worry about, Bruce ;) .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 26 Mar 2018, 06:38

drbass wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 04:06
SneakyJak wrote:
This one will get the usual grain enhancement on the back but no colour, all natural - nothing to worry about, Bruce ;) .

Regards,
Michael
Someone I work with commented on the blue and how good it looked. They must have seen my FB comment. Just sayin

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 Mar 2018, 06:40

SneakyJak wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 06:38
drbass wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 04:06
SneakyJak wrote:

Regards,
Michael
Someone I work with commented on the blue and how good it looked. They must have seen my FB comment. Just sayin
I love the blue too, Pete, but this is not my call, and I'm perfectly fine with that - it'll look good in natural.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

packrat

Post by packrat » 26 Mar 2018, 09:02

Although there's also the gaiaburst colourscheme you did on another figured top, that was sort of a blue/grey, wasn't it?

B>

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 Mar 2018, 10:00

packrat wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 09:02
Although there's also the gaiaburst colourscheme you did on another figured top, that was sort of a blue/grey, wasn't it?

B>
Correct - that started out as a reasonably "brilliant" blue (nothing like what the latest build is) which then started to fade to grey and purple tones. A little weird but I've had the same happen to a bass (build #2 actually) I made for my son. Just something in that particular pigment, and I would probably not use that any more due to unpredictable changes to the colour.

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 26 Mar 2018, 18:15

The blues that faded were not coloured using aniline dye I assume?

I've heard that aniline dyes hold their colour better, and maybe some sort of UV protection can be applied.

A good friend of mine has a very expensive Taylor which was once a brilliant blue with fish inlays around the sound hole and on the fretboard. It was unfortunately left near a window in the sunlight and is now a light shade of grey. Still plays fantastically though. I wonder how the blue Dingwall held it's colour so well?
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 Mar 2018, 18:57

Classic5 wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 18:15
The blues that faded were not coloured using aniline dye I assume?

I've heard that aniline dyes hold their colour better, and maybe some sort of UV protection can be applied.

A good friend of mine has a very expensive Taylor which was once a brilliant blue with fish inlays around the sound hole and on the fretboard. It was unfortunately left near a window in the sunlight and is now a light shade of grey. Still plays fantastically though. I wonder how the blue Dingwall held it's colour so well?
Yes, I don't think fading colour has an impact on playability and sound (then again, might start a thread on Talkbass and see what happens :D ).

No, both Jake's bass and the 6 string fretless Kermit were sprayed with a pigment in nitro (David did that). Might have something to do with the northern ash, I don't know - the aniline dye looks quite different in different places (but so far has not change colour at all). I'll keep an eye on it.

And I'd like to know that as well. Mind you, Sheldon is not only a genius bass builder but also a big performance car fan (he often refers to Ferraris etc.) so his shop might be using car products rather than timber products. Speculation on my behalf though, no direct evidence.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 27 Mar 2018, 19:40

Quick trip to the workshop after work, great to see Blaine all tanned and relaxed.

Routed the truss rod and carbon rod channels for the "Special Q" neck:

Looking good, I reckon. Will glue the carbon rods in over Easter and glue the matching headstock veneer on. Then it's waiting for the birdseye maple board.

The neck-through Kermit neck looks great too. Was a little rough after glueing up but a little bit of targeted sanding, machining, thicknessing and final belt-sanding turned it into this little beauty:

So happy with it, that West Systems epoxy works a treat (everyone in the workshop commented and how good it looked). This now needs a little bit of attention with regards to proper dimensions (measure 5 times, remove once) but hey, that's what it's all about.

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 27 Mar 2018, 20:04

They both look great Michael, in particular the neck through. I really like the taper at the headstock end :cool:
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

drbass

Post by drbass » 28 Mar 2018, 07:12

Classic5 wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 20:04
They both look great Michael, in particular the neck through. I really like the taper at the headstock end :cool:
Hi Ivan,

The whole thing is tapered (actually just the central maple strip), it just looks a lot more radical at the headstock end because of perspective.
There's obviously not enough width for the headstock so I'll glue on wenge bits to achieve that - visible from the back only since I'll match the headstock with a quilted maple top (come to think of it I should probably add a wenge contrast layer as well).
The overall width at the nut will come down by about 6 mm (so it'll look like the outside maple strips are tapered as well), and the width at the body end is, well, let's just say I have nothing to play with. I'm thinking of adding 2 mm strips of wenge on both sides just where the body wings will be glued on "just to be sure" but it's not strictly necessary.

Interesting project so far, learning a lot here.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 29 Mar 2018, 13:48

Backside of the backplate for the Special Q soaked with superglue to stabilise the 3 mm sheet of spalted maple goodness. Gives you an idea of what to expect once the top is finished - amazing.

Regards,
Michael

packrat

Post by packrat » 29 Mar 2018, 14:40

Oooooo!

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 29 Mar 2018, 15:20

Is it possible to be in love with a back plate :)

Looks terrific! Wood is just an amazing material to sculpt.