Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
drbass

Re: Future Builds - Maybe Random

Post by drbass » 16 Feb 2018, 15:24

Just came back from the workshop (chopped off 18 mm of the end of the headstock, soooo much better in terms of proportion plus less weight plus shorter bass, and frets in but that's a whole different story ;) ) and David had a very radical suggestion. I'll stew on it for a while (still waiting for the piped Luminlay sticks).

Thank you for that render, Paul. As mentioned above I did the same thing in "Keynote" (which is the presentation program I use for my lectures etc.), and while I sampled the blue fill from one of the blue areas (and even from a picture of the back) it never gives you the vibrancy and intensity - the render looks very flat, and that's not what it would look like.

Anyway, if I don't do anything at all blue you have to remember that the maple will go a fair bit darker with the finish.

Leave it with me.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Curto

Post by Curto » 16 Feb 2018, 16:33

I'm sure whatever you do, it'll look good!
Custom 32

drbass

Post by drbass » 16 Feb 2018, 16:36

Curto wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 16:33
I'm sure whatever you do, it'll look good!
Appreciate your confidence 👍
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

drbass

Post by drbass » 17 Feb 2018, 17:44

Quick comparison of the "original" Manta (which already was a modification of a different design) on the right, and the latest iteration on the left. Two main differences: much smaller lower horn (looking at it now I feel that it could point down a little more) and the considerably shorter headstock (18 mm, to be exact).

And here's a little impression of the blue one could expect dyeing the maple neck:

Too many opposing opinions here. More stewing required ... .

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 20 Feb 2018, 10:23

Still agonising over the final finish for the Manta, and yet plans for the next two builds are crystallising nicely.

Next up will be a Q version with a twist. Body already glued up (2 piece northern ash), spalted maple top, all natural. 5 string, 35" with 24 frets (maple neck, probably maple board) which will mean modifications to the lower horn and cutaway to allow easier access to the upper frets. I've drawn it, and it looks really nice actually.

And then I'll go into new territory: neck-thru. This will be a 5 string Kermit with a 5 piece maple/wenge neck (and wenge board) all the way through the body. Walnut wings, some contrast layer (probably wenge as well) with a quilted maple top, this one to be exact:

Not sure what electronics at all but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Exciting times.

Regards,
Michael

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 20 Feb 2018, 16:48

I actually find doing neck pockets harder and more stressful than through necks. This ergo build was supposed to be through neck but I cut it off. This is an attempt to force me to do something I’m not comfortable with.

Really like the ash on maple top choice

Curto

Post by Curto » 21 Feb 2018, 07:20

The maple fingerboard as it is looks fresh. A blue fingerboard would certainly look unique. What about a single section of the fingerboard at the 12th fret or after the 22nd fret or above the zero fret?
Custom 32

drbass

Post by drbass » 22 Feb 2018, 16:29

OK, just received my Luminlay sticks so I can finish the neck from that point of view. I have made a decision regarding the finish - hang tight, all will be revealed.

Here are the scale drawings of the next couple of projects.

First off a "Q" Special with 24 frets - obviously the body only. Should be a ripper. Ash body, spalted maple top, all natural.

Then a neck-thru Kermit - as mentioned I have to try a neck-thru at some stage and might as well do it now. On the neck you can see the 5-piece nature (3 maple, 2 wenge strips) with the centre piece tapering to follow the side of the neck. I'll modify the angles a little (narrower).
Wenge fretboard, walnut body, possibly a wenge contrast layer, quilted maple top. Electronics? No idea yet.

Yes, I know, no head stock yet. Working on it, have to modify what I currently have just a little bit.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 23 Feb 2018, 09:51

Just put in then Luminlay spots and noticed this:

This was a perfectly flush surface (sanded to 320) and there is an obvious joint creep happening. The weather here in Melbourne has been a little muggy, and we have evap air con so plenty of moisture in the air. Amazing.

This is of course not sealed yet. So the issue is: do I sand it back now (and when it dries out a little it'll go the other way), or do I wait a few days?

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Maybe use a different glue? Titebond reportedly has some joint creep predisposition ... .

Regards,
Michael

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 23 Feb 2018, 10:10

I'd be waiting and then sealing. I hit my neck with linseed oil as soon as I was happy with it, and have been continuing layering up because i'm very concerned about travel.

packrat

Post by packrat » 23 Feb 2018, 10:26

How did previous multi-piece necks go?

Which of the titebond variants did you use?

B>

drbass

Post by drbass » 23 Feb 2018, 10:47

packrat wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 10:26
How did previous multi-piece necks go?

Which of the titebond variants did you use?

B>
Hi Bruce, Davin,

See, that's what happens when you show what ACTUALLY happens in real builds at home.

Previous builds - no issue. I generally finish the neck and seal it straight away (pretty much, anyway). I haven't had any timber sit for elongated periods in weather like we have at the moment - for this current build I had to wait for a couple of things (Luminlay dots, for example, decision on staining). Only happened in the last couple of days as well, the whole surface roughened up a little (fibres standing up despite going though the whole "sand, wipe with damp cloth, re-sand, wipe with damp cloth, re-sand routine). Extreme circumstances.

Once sealed there's absolutely no issue.

Classic Titebond. (i.e. I). Have been thinking about going to either switch completely to epoxy, or possibly try a polyurethane glue (like Warwick do).

Anyway, all good.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 23 Feb 2018, 15:58

Follow-up on this whole saga.

I had to re-sand the neck anyway, and those little steps disappeared completely with a very light 320 application, followed by 600.

I then immediately went ahead with the dye, and just applied the first coat of the oil-wax finish I use. Looks great, very happy with how it turned out.

As a side note regarding glues: Sheldon Dingwall put up a photo of one of his double contrast layer basses. I commented on that (it looked absolutely amazing, like everything Dingwall) and "BTW: which glue do you use?".
Sheldon answered and explained they use a boating epoxy product (my guess is West) and subsequently recommended for me to use that for larger areas rather than Titebond since it introduces no moisture at all which might create tension and result in a cupped body. So that's an interesting comment.

I've since looked at some Titebond alternatives (also prompted by a recent thread on Talkbass). A thinner epoxy would be great particularly for more porous timbers like spalted maple (I've been using araldite for those anyway but that's quite viscous) to help with the stabilisation.
I'm also intrigued by the polyurethane glues (Gorilla is one of the local brands) which require some moisture to cure, and expand while curing thus filling any gaps and penetrating into the pores of the timber.

Anyone have any experience with a thinner epoxy or a polyurethane-based glue? Would love to hear about it.

Regards,
Michael

P.S.: Photos of the neck when it's done.

packrat

Post by packrat » 23 Feb 2018, 16:42

Also, yet more evidence that Sheldon is really nice. Looking forward to the pictures! :)

B>

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 23 Feb 2018, 17:14

I'd hazard against following the Warwick line of glues. I've seen a neck with severe twist and warp (dodged a bullet - I nearly bOught it).