Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
drbass

Re: Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Post by drbass » 10 Aug 2018, 21:06

Finally finished (well, couple of fine tuning activities still required). Looks really "friendly" and understated, right? Well, it's something in sheep's clothing, and it's not just a wolf :D . Personal delivery in 2 weeks - I'm hoping to see a happy face.

Anyway, with my setup strings (to get the neck relief and bridge adjustment - action - right) it has just about the most amazing clarity AND punch (so many different sound options).

That is all.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Juan Lauda

Post by Juan Lauda » 10 Aug 2018, 22:07

Wunderbar! Can’t wait to hear it.
Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 10 Aug 2018, 22:18

P/MM has every sound I love. It looks less like a sheep and more like a sleeping giant to me. Someone is going to be very happy!
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

drbass

Post by drbass » 17 Aug 2018, 20:58

Bit of a crappy day at the workshop today.

Bought 3 m of maple to get the building blocks organised for the 4 neck-through necks. Looked great but once sawed I ended up with Cavendish instead of Ladyfinger: 80 cm just about OK, then bend, bend, bend so instead of having everything to start gluing up the 4 necks I have exactly one tapered core.

Didn't chuck the other stuff, Rob was kind enough to help me buzz them so I can use the straight bits for a couple of bolt-on necks (I'm currently working on the gum drop bass which requires a bolt-on) so all is not lost. Still, rather disappointing.

Try again in a couple of weeks time ... .

Pics of the gumdrop project tomorrow.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

basshack

Post by basshack » 17 Aug 2018, 21:17

Went to shop today too but left early. There was too much noise from certain individuals ;)

Don’t you hate it when wood does what it wants?
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 18 Aug 2018, 12:17

basshack wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 21:17
Went to shop today too but left early. There was too much noise from certain individuals ;)

Don’t you hate it when wood does what it wants?
I really hope it wasn't because of the noise (but would totally understand). And well, yes, that's kind of the beauty of working with timber. Have been pretty lucky so far, had to happen at some stage. Again, a great learning experience.

OK, here's the first pic of the "Gumdrop" bass. Playing around with accoya (which is pine - Pinus radiata - treated with acetic acid, basically very very concentrated vinegar). The piece I had was just a little too narrow so I decided to "squash" the Manta shape by about 20 mm and somewhat modify the horns. I roughly followed the pencil line when cutting and sanding but wasn't too concerned. Will still require some "fine-tuning" but hey, it's an experiment, right?

Top is English oak.
Not sure about the finish. Natural will be a little boring, not a lot happening in terms of grain. Might try using the aniline dyes for some sort of burst (blue to green? blue to red? red to blue?).
It'll be a 35" scale fretless (the 6 string Kermit Gaia might end up being sold, working something out at the moment), possibly a 24 fret equivalent, with a 5-piece neck (central walnut strip, and 2 maple pieces either side using the leftovers as described in the previous post).
Board? No idea.
Electronics? I have a few EMG soapbar pickups and a Noll 4-band pre (bass, low mids, high mids, treble). Pickup positions? First of, there'll be only 2, One will be VERY close to the bridge, the other one somewhere around the standard Stingray spot (probably a little further towards the neck, there might be space constraints).

Should be a little bit of fun on the side while doing the more serious stuff (source more maple and wenge when I get back from Sydney).

Regards,
Michael

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 18 Aug 2018, 12:51

Tiny! Like those little bean basses.

basshack

Post by basshack » 18 Aug 2018, 19:00

If course it wasn’t. Don’t you know me by now?

I think your basses have a nice bit of booty going on.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 19 Aug 2018, 14:26

Good to know, Blaine (and do you ever know someone?). "Nice bit of booty" - I'll take that as a compliment ;) .

Sorting out a few future tops with generous body outlines for the next 4 Kermit builds - all going to be neck-through (despite the recent setback with "banana maple" I reckon it's the way to go). Also very cursory sanded the bottom right hand corner and applied some of the Osmo (first coat, generally a good indication of the final look).

The first one's a bit "not sure about that". The idea is to have a 5 piece neck, 3 maple and 2 purpleheart, walnut body, maple layer and purpleheart top. This one will just work although the outline doesn't quite fit (as mentioned it has a couple of extra mm, plus I contour quite heavily). Why "not sure"? Doesn't really look that purple, more a nice saturated brown. Might change (it's timber!!).

No close-up of the treated area, not much happening there.

Next is the amboyna burl top. This is the "replacement" for Sauron so exactly the same build (5 piece maple/wenge neck, walnut body, maple veneer, wenge layer) with this top and a slightly less extravagant fretboard. Note how nicely the grain shows after application of the Osmo in the close-up:

Then here's the fretless brother of the Sauron replacement - everything exactly like above, only with the "moustache" maple burl top. Much more subtle once the Osmo goes on but that shouldn't be a problem considering the multiple layers of contrasting timber:

Really looking forward to the final one with the amazing bocote top. Again, 5 piece neck through with 3 maple and 2 walnut pieces, walnut body, maple layer and the bocote top. Speaks for itself:

That's all for today. I'll bring these tops (and a couple more) to Sydney next weekend.

Regards,
Michael

packrat

Post by packrat » 19 Aug 2018, 15:24

I'm not seeing the wood you're planning to use for the spalted maple four-pickup jobbie ;D

B>

drbass

Post by drbass » 19 Aug 2018, 15:29

packrat wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 15:24
I'm not seeing the wood you're planning to use for the spalted maple four-pickup jobbie ;D

B>
That'll be a surprise, Bruce, a secret I'll keep right to the last moment (which might mean forever ;) ).

Speaking of spalted maple - somewhat nicer pics of the finished Special Q:

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 19 Aug 2018, 16:18

That special Q looks fantastic :cool:

Of your other timber shots the Bocote is a real standout IMO. I have a few pieces on it's way too, so really looking forward to seeing it' all come together :yep
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 19 Aug 2018, 16:31

I really like the purple heart, just a really nice colour.

drbass

Post by drbass » 22 Aug 2018, 08:19

Some new timber just about to leave Canada.

Couple of maple burl pieces:

And something I haven't worked with before - mango:

Hope it smells nice ;) .
Also on its way: an ebony board, probably for the gumdrop bean Manta fretless.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 28 Aug 2018, 09:17

Might be time to close this thread, too long, too old, too irrelevant.

Sydney was great and I have three commissions from the mini-GTG (and two potential future commitments), plus one from the Melbourne Guitar Show so I'll be busy in the next few months.
Never thought I'd go there but one of the Sydney commissions will be a special "Special Q", Alembic scale of 30.75", 4 string, with interesting pickup combination so time to use the envelope.

Probably best to open individual threads with occasional postings, less gruesome detail (you've all seen it all).

Thanks for looking and commenting - stay tuned.

Regards,
Michael