Build 06

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
User avatar
drbass
Posts: 3068
Joined: 04 Apr 2013, 05:31
Location: Doreen, Victoria
Contact:

Build 06

Post by drbass » 30 Nov 2016, 08:38

Time to get going with the next one - this one is somewhat important with regards to my plans for next year (but then so is Kermit - will be finished this week - and the "P" that is about half-way there).

I am so impressed with Jake's Baby Blue (Build 02) that I have decided to build a "Big Brother", probably called "Crimson" or maybe "Blood Orange". The plan is to keep things as close to Baby Blue as possible with the following staying the same:
central silky oak;
northern ash body wings;
maple top (in this case it's the maple burl I just received rather than quilted maple)
Nordstrand 3B-3 pre-amp;
Delano MC5 HE (closest 5-string equivalent to the MC4 HE/S);
maple neck with maple board;
use of threaded inserts and M6 bolts to fix the neck;
same hardware (Hipshot Ultralite tuners and A-style bridge, jack, battery compartment)

The following will be different:
5 string rather than 4;
35" rather than 34";
headstock angled (probably, not sure yet);
2 carbon rods in the neck.

Will be interesting to see and hear what difference, if any, the bigger neck (with carbon rods) and the slightly longer scale will make. Anyway, here's the sketch:

Image

As mentioned I'm using the maple burl and much prefer the second option:

ImageImage

Hardware is ordered, will have to get some silky oak and northern ash at some stage so early days but stay tuned.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

User avatar
PilbaraBass
Posts: 15056
Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 17:07
Location: Gladstone, QLD

Re: Build 06

Post by PilbaraBass » 01 Dec 2016, 10:31

Very nice...

although, I think I'd personally like a non-reversed headstock vs the reverse in your drawings...

as far as the maple burl... I'm with you... 2nd option tends to be more aesthetically pleasing for some reason.

I like the idea of baby blue-sh colour but more of a "Robin egg blue, as this is the colour of the red-breasted robin eggs that I grew up with...
Image
Image

Also,
I have yet to see someone do a wild colour like hot pink in a translucent over a highly-figured top... I think something like that would be AWESOME... especially with black hardware...

I'm just dreaming, of course... it's your bass... but it's fun to personalise someone else's project... lol
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

User avatar
drbass
Posts: 3068
Joined: 04 Apr 2013, 05:31
Location: Doreen, Victoria
Contact:

Re: Build 06

Post by drbass » 01 Dec 2016, 12:32

PilbaraBass wrote:Very nice...

although, I think I'd personally like a non-reversed headstock vs the reverse in your drawings...

as far as the maple burl... I'm with you... 2nd option tends to be more aesthetically pleasing for some reason.

I like the idea of baby blue-sh colour but more of a "Robin egg blue, as this is the colour of the red-breasted robin eggs that I grew up with...

Also,
I have yet to see someone do a wild colour like hot pink in a translucent over a highly-figured top... I think something like that would be AWESOME... especially with black hardware...

I'm just dreaming, of course... it's your bass... but it's fun to personalise someone else's project... lol
I probably didn't explain myself very clearly, sorry about that (I am a lecturer after all ;) ).

I refer to my son's bass (a.k.a. Build 02) as "Baby Blue" because it's kind of like "Stormy" (my Dingwall which is the best blue I've seen on a bass) but not quite.
What I'm planning to do is have this one done either in a crimson or blood-orange red, maybe a red-orange burst. Not sure about the hot pink ... . And sorry, the headstock is what you get as well, works beautifully on Jake's bass in real life.

Thank for your comments.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

User avatar
SneakyJak
Posts: 1556
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 22:15
Location: Canberra

Re: Build 06

Post by SneakyJak » 01 Dec 2016, 13:01

PilbaraBass wrote: I have yet to see someone do a wild colour like hot pink in a translucent over a highly-figured top... I think something like that would be AWESOME... especially with black hardware...
Challenge accepted

User avatar
drbass
Posts: 3068
Joined: 04 Apr 2013, 05:31
Location: Doreen, Victoria
Contact:

Re: Build 06

Post by drbass » 01 Dec 2016, 13:20

SneakyJak wrote:
PilbaraBass wrote: I have yet to see someone do a wild colour like hot pink in a translucent over a highly-figured top... I think something like that would be AWESOME... especially with black hardware...
Challenge accepted
:D :thumbup: :D

Typical Pete ... .

By the way, I just converted my last oder from $US to $A and nearly fell off the chair. Previously I didn't "care" enough to add everything up but will go through this exercise with this build. Using high quality parts means that it's not exactly cheap to build your own (let's take time completely out of the equation). Something to think about.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

User avatar
SneakyJak
Posts: 1556
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 22:15
Location: Canberra

Re: Build 06

Post by SneakyJak » 01 Dec 2016, 13:28

drbass wrote:
SneakyJak wrote:
PilbaraBass wrote: I have yet to see someone do a wild colour like hot pink in a translucent over a highly-figured top... I think something like that would be AWESOME... especially with black hardware...
Challenge accepted
:D :thumbup: :D

Typical Pete ... .

By the way, I just converted my last oder from $US to $A and nearly fell off the chair. Previously I didn't "care" enough to add everything up but will go through this exercise with this build. Using high quality parts means that it's not exactly cheap to build your own (let's take time completely out of the equation). Something to think about.

Regards,
Michael
What can I say I like the odd , my next build is based around the 80's Klein ergonomic shape.

I'm so annoyed at the prices of hardware and shipping that I'm considering buying a lathe and mill and trying to make stuff myself. I've been watching clock making videos on youtube to get a sense of what's involved in fine metal work and it doesn't look like rocket science

(click spring is an excellent channel I highly recommend looking at!!!).

User avatar
slowlearner
Posts: 5724
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 14:30
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Build 06

Post by slowlearner » 02 Dec 2016, 17:39

Hey Michael, been thinking about the cutaways a little more. I reckon it's the points as well as the the way the cutaways joint the neck. To my eyes it's like the angles don't quite match or similar. I was trying to figure out what looked off to me and I think that's it.

P.s. this follows on from the PM discussion.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

User avatar
drbass
Posts: 3068
Joined: 04 Apr 2013, 05:31
Location: Doreen, Victoria
Contact:

Re: Build 06

Post by drbass » 19 Dec 2016, 08:46

A little bit of "mainstreaming" later - I have to agree with Pete here, I personally was never all that into the pointy horns (although it seems to be working OK for Jake, and it looks good when he plays it) so here's modified version of the design:

Image

I have another version but it looks way too Warwick Thumb on the lower horn so I'll discard that.

Of course expect the usual treatment to the body which will make the "somewhat bland" a little more interesting.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

User avatar
slowlearner
Posts: 5724
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 14:30
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Build 06

Post by slowlearner » 19 Dec 2016, 13:09

That's looking nicer for sure. A couple more ideas you can take or leave...
1. If you can mirror the thickness/angles of the cutaways (not symetrical of course) in some way, that will add considerably.
2. Try angling the tuners so the shafts come out of the headstock horizontal.
3. I think you could offset the bottom of the body ala J-bass if you liked.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

User avatar
drbass
Posts: 3068
Joined: 04 Apr 2013, 05:31
Location: Doreen, Victoria
Contact:

Re: Build 06

Post by drbass » 19 Dec 2016, 13:17

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your comments, always constructive and on the money. "Nicer" is obviously subjective :) .
1) Maybe. Remember that I like the hollowed-out lower bout so there's that to keep in mind.
2) The treble tuners are in the right orientation, I simply forgot to arrange the bass side tuners in parallel (Warwick-style).
3) No. It's nothing to do with a J, and I won't make anything J.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

User avatar
SneakyJak
Posts: 1556
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 22:15
Location: Canberra

Re: Build 06

Post by SneakyJak » 19 Dec 2016, 14:31

I'm the absolute last person that should be commenting on design(especially considering my latest design yet unseen)

I suspect what we are picking up on is some proportion eye trickery. The upper and lower bout looks to me slightly wider than the lower or bottom half (as per your picture) of the instrument. Doing some googling unless it's super exaggerated in the waist (narrower) or upper bout (larger) most of what I've been able to find has the bottom half larger than the upper/lower bouts.

So in conclusion I don't think there is anything wrong with it I just think it's close to the norm whatever that is but different enough that its perceptible.

User avatar
drbass
Posts: 3068
Joined: 04 Apr 2013, 05:31
Location: Doreen, Victoria
Contact:

Re: Build 06

Post by drbass » 19 Dec 2016, 14:35

SneakyJak wrote:I'm the absolute last person that should be commenting on design(especially considering my latest design yet unseen)

I suspect what we are picking up on is some proportion eye trickery. The upper and lower bout looks to me slightly wider than the lower or bottom half (as per your picture) of the instrument. Doing some googling unless it's super exaggerated in the waist (narrower) or upper bout (larger) most of what I've been able to find has the bottom half larger than the upper/lower bouts.

So in conclusion I don't think there is anything wrong with it I just think it's close to the norm whatever that is but different enough that its perceptible.
Wow. You actually googled examples for this, Pete? Here's the thing: it's not a thing. The bottom is wider both on the bass and the treble side. It's close for the bass side but it's still wider.
And, as you know, different is not necessarily bad ;) .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

User avatar
Classic5
Posts: 3784
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 19:33
Location: Melbourne

Re: Build 06

Post by Classic5 » 19 Dec 2016, 14:48

Nice to see some people with time on their hands......wish I could say the same :-(

Go Michael....looking good!
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

User avatar
SneakyJak
Posts: 1556
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 22:15
Location: Canberra

Re: Build 06

Post by SneakyJak » 19 Dec 2016, 14:50

drbass wrote:
SneakyJak wrote:I'm the absolute last person that should be commenting on design(especially considering my latest design yet unseen)

I suspect what we are picking up on is some proportion eye trickery. The upper and lower bout looks to me slightly wider than the lower or bottom half (as per your picture) of the instrument. Doing some googling unless it's super exaggerated in the waist (narrower) or upper bout (larger) most of what I've been able to find has the bottom half larger than the upper/lower bouts.

So in conclusion I don't think there is anything wrong with it I just think it's close to the norm whatever that is but different enough that its perceptible.
Wow. You actually googled examples for this, Pete? Here's the thing: it's not a thing. The bottom is wider both on the bass and the treble side. It's close for the bass side but it's still wider.
And, as you know, different is not necessarily bad ;) .

Regards,
Michael
don't get me wrong I love different I think it's a great design. I don't think its really that different to my Washburn N4 (below) if I'm absolutely honest in so far as it's narrower and more elongated. As I said I think it's just a bit of eye trickery. If I'm going to comment I might as well back that up with a bit of googling.


Image

User avatar
drbass
Posts: 3068
Joined: 04 Apr 2013, 05:31
Location: Doreen, Victoria
Contact:

Re: Build 06

Post by drbass » 19 Dec 2016, 14:53

Not dissimilar, you're right. Except for the rounder bottom on the bass, and the more consistent body-to-neck angles.

And I'm with you, it always comes back to bite me if I just spout some nonsense without a bit of fact-checking first!!
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests