Build 04 - Finished

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
FunkyJase

Re: Build 04

Post by FunkyJase » 22 Sep 2016, 17:46

I'm diggin' the contours on your body!

Wow... usually when i say that I'm trying to be sophisticated at the beach...

But seriously...
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

drbass

Post by drbass » 23 Sep 2016, 12:39

FunkyJase wrote:I'm diggin' the contours on your body!

But seriously...
Thanks, Jason,

Even though I should work out more ;) .

But seriously:
1) can't wait to hear what it sounds like - sure will be light AND balanced. Probably won't sound like a "P" considering the pickup locations but we'll see.
2) if it's any good (and gets appropriate feedback from the appropriate crowd) I might do a small run for purchase. Can't say much more right now (don't want to push the forum rules) but I've got plans for next year, and one of the pre-requisite things fell into place quite nicely last week. Stay tuned.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 23 Sep 2016, 16:06

drbass wrote:

But seriously...
Thanks, Jason,

But seriously:
1) can't wait to hear what it sounds like - sure will be light AND balanced. Probably won't sound like a "P" considering the pickup locations but we'll see.
2) if it's any good (and gets appropriate feedback from the appropriate crowd) I might do a small run for purchase. Can't say much more right now (don't want to push the forum rules) but I've got plans for next year, and one of the pre-requisite things fell into place quite nicely last week. Stay tuned.

Regards,
Michael
If you need a minion to do grunt work if your plan works out I'll volunteer free of charge :thumbup:

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 23 Sep 2016, 16:25

drbass wrote:

But seriously...
Thanks, Jason,

But seriously:

Regards,
Michael
DrBass Basses! Very Cool - Let me know when you need a logo :-)
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

drbass

Post by drbass » 29 Dec 2016, 18:08

Sheesh - nothing since September on this build. Too busy with other stuff. well, some progress at last.

As mentioned this will be a fairly standard sort of build. P-Bass shape, satin black with a matte black pick guard and a maple neck with maple board.

Here's the neck :) .

David had a really nice board of maple and after a little bit of measuring and drawing I figured out how to get two necks out of this: one two-piece for this build, and one three-piece for Build 06. Plus incidentals (final headstock shape etc.).

So here's the layout:

And the bits before glueing:

Yes, I know, a P (and a Sting-inspired Build 06) with an angled headstock. Well, I'm not a big fan of string retainers. It's that simple. ;)

This really shouldn't take too long to finish, aiming for end of Jan/mid Feb.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

Suitable

Post by Suitable » 04 Jan 2017, 10:07

Subbed! Nice work so far! :cool:
Great deals with Steve77 & B_jamin! Top blokes :thumbup:

drbass

Post by drbass » 12 Feb 2017, 08:43

So it's nearly mid-Feb and it's not even close to being finished.

Didn't have time to go to the shop last week so I did some very limited work at hoe: drilling holes is always fun.

Here are the holes for the vol and tone pots and the three way mini switch to have neck only, neck and bridge in series or parallel (not sure yet), and bridge only. Remember, the neck pickup is in the J position, and the bridge pickup is a couple of cms closer to the neck than a typical Musicman hum bucker:

More holes, for the strap locks:

And you can immediately see an issue that I didn't really think of when deciding to go 30 mm body thickness: there's not a lot of timber left to hold the neck.

Options:
- metal plate - that's the conservative approach, and I though about it.
- fill the neck pocket, and re-rout to only 13 mm depth instead of the 16 I have now.
- use as is and see what happens.

I'm very much leaning towards the third option right now. It may well go horribly wrong but my thinking is that the neck itself will help stabilising the connection, and I just have to be careful not to get any splitting in the body.
Since I'm trying to push the envelope a little here I'll just do that. Relatively easy to make a new body, 30 minutes or so ;) .

Regards,
Michael

Suitable

Post by Suitable » 12 Feb 2017, 11:30

Set neck? If the you can get the neck pocket and neck to fit tightly, (ie hold its own weight without glue or screws) that would be the best option I would think. Could even dowel the joint from behind the fretboard for extra strength and would pass the tone on better too. Nice looking job so far! Loving the shape too! Is this going to be a semi trans finish?

drbass

Post by drbass » 12 Feb 2017, 11:35

I had thought of a set neck but not keen. Fit is not fantastic, and I want to keep it as simple as possible (looks at the angled headstock ... :) ).

No, solid satin black - this is the first prototype for what's going to be my "base" model ("Q Bass") which will only come in solid colours.

Regards,
Michael

Suitable

Post by Suitable » 12 Feb 2017, 13:26

If it's going to be a solid colour, you could easily cut shims or slithers of timber to glue in place to the body to tighten up the neck joint for a set neck. Gibson do it all the time! You could even get away with a clear finish with the slithers glued in as long as they match the body timber and the glue joint is Mickey Mouse. But you could also do a traditional stainless plate with neck screws as you listed which would be my second choice for strength, especially if you epoxy brass or stainless threaded studs into the neck so they lock the neck to the body with the stainless plate and finer thread countersunk bolts? Maybe? I'm just typing what/while I'm thinking to help with the thinner neck to body joint... The stainless steel plate would be a worthy excuse to the misses to buy a cnc engraver/router/mill! :D (it's definitely a worthy excuse to add a new toy to the man cave ;) )

Ps. What angle did you go with for the angled headstock? I'm really loving that body shape either way! Especially the carved heel access on the lower horn :cool:

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 12 Feb 2017, 14:33

Option 3 all the way ...

As they say in some familiar places ... "she'll be right, mate."
:)
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 12 Feb 2017, 21:54

I've never actually played a bass with a P/P pickup config. But I really like the concept. In theory, it should work better than p/j. And by moving the bridge pickup away from the bridge to the Stingray sweet spot, the whole concept improves even further.

Any plans for a "QA" model, "A" for Active?
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

MentalPatient

Post by MentalPatient » 13 Feb 2017, 03:04

Vol/Vol & a parallel/serial switch.

Hmm, perhaps a 3 way switch to select either pu set or both ...... and a parallel/series switch.
Glockenklang Heart Rock II | Steamhammer | 6-Box | Quattro | Roscoe
Last edited by MentalPatient on 15 Apr 2015, 18:10, edited 963,482,564,947 times in total

drbass

Post by drbass » 13 Feb 2017, 05:40

Headstock angle: 10 degrees. Will be interesting to see how that works with a more "traditional" (if inverted) headstock shape.

Option 3? I like it :D

We'll see how this particular pickup arrangement works, made sense when I "designed" it but the proof is in the pudding. Never had a passive bass so that's going to be interesting as well. And "QA"? Well, anything is possible but the primary aim for "Q" was to keep it simple. Happy to discuss, Pete :D .

Ant, the mini switch is a three-way to have neck only, neck plus bridge either series OR parallel (not sure yet, tending towards series) and bridge only. No plans to introduce series/parallel switches for each individual pickup.

Regards,
Michael

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 13 Feb 2017, 20:18

That looks good. Intrigued and will follow. I vote that the metal neck plate is nothing to worry about - go for it.

I hope there is a YouTube style clip at some stage.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3