Build #1

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
noplanb

Re: Build #1

Post by noplanb » 25 Feb 2015, 08:07

Definitely a great look - congrats! I've always liked to see as much wood as poss - ie no pickguard.
I'm trying to get my head around the relative merits of different finishes:
How do you find the wax, used as a finish? Say, compared to BLO or polyurethane etc? Would wax be more prone to marking than BLO or tung oil? I can see that wax gives a great depth of grain look!
I see..............basses!

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 25 Feb 2015, 09:03

Well, the wax is initially a grain filler, the colour is coming from the mineral oil (lemon oil, baby oil, all the same) applied after the grain filling. Mineral oil brings out the grain patterns but doesn't darken the wood, so lets it stand on it's own. BLO/tung/danish all stain the wood making it much darker, being mahogany I didn't want it to be much darker than it already is.

As for finish, the wax is put over it to form a protective layer. This isn't needed for BLO or poly as they set hard so form a coating to protect naturally. I went with wax as I love the feel and look of Warwick natural finishes and they're much easier to repair as you can just rub back to wood if you really need to. Ideally the wax layer is built up over years to be quite thick.
Strings: Fender, Custom, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Cones: Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 25 Feb 2015, 14:51

Well done. I like your approach to the finishing too. Out of the box. :thumbup:
narcdor wrote:Also, a little sad that it's over. Might need to start another one :ninja:
Oh no! Quick, get the restraints and a syringe of Narcan! :lol:

Seriously. It's too late now really. You're addicted for sure. My condolences to your family and neighbors.... :(
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 25 Feb 2015, 20:53

Great job, the bass looks terrific! :cool:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

cleary

Post by cleary » 26 Feb 2015, 08:57

Yeah I really like it too - very understated. Great job and thanks for sharing the build process :)
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

TheBottomLine

Post by TheBottomLine » 26 Feb 2015, 19:39

:drool: :clap: :partydance: :notworthy:
well done mate :thumbup:
https://www.facebook.com/RevMoFo?pc=p&__user=0
Amps :Mesa,Fender,Hartke /Cabs: Mesa , SWR ,Schroeder & Ashdown
Basses , passive 4's strung with flats
active 5 strings strung with roundwounds
( who would have thunk that )

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 25 Aug 2015, 16:59

OK! Time to do some mods!

Right now I'm thinking I'd like to do the following:
1. Some kind of cutout for the truss rod just to make it easier. Hasn't moved at all but I really don't want to have to take the neck off. Just a simple U shape channel should do it, or maybe something interesting like a T? Or some kinda shaped curve like the DrBass build with a main channel then shaped shoulders kinda allowing sideways movement of the key.

2. An additional pickup, there's all that space between the P and the bridge begging for something. Right now I'm thinking something like a MM in the bridge position (like a Sandberg Cali VM) with a switch for series/parallel/single. Possibly even four position switch for selectable coil if that's even worthwhile or possible? Should take care of the stingray type sound for parallel and series, and allow some nice PJ action with single coil.

3. Adding a second pickup would require adding a blend control. I'm thinking blend rather than pickup selector as it allows dialling in just the right amount of bridge. I also prefer one volume control so VVT is not what I'm after either.

I am going to leave it passive so I can still swap around outboard preamp pedals depending.

So I need some pickup suggestions. I will be sticking to Nordys to match the NP4A in the P sweet spot, it's reversed if you take a look at pics earlier in the thread. Perhaps the MM repro? Or dual coil? Big split using the standard size (P2 is it?) so I can try a few out?

I'm still considering if I should add a second pickup, it might mess with the simplicity of the instrument. The channel I definitely want to do but didn't get time.

The other thing that is bugging me but probably doesn't need doing, is to shift the pickups slightly to the bass side. The bass coil is not bad but the treble side the G string poles are way out. How did I manage that? No idea. It would only require making a small enlargement of the route to shift it maybe 3-4mm over.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 25 Aug 2015, 17:03

I mean ultimately I should just build another bass right?
Right?

drbass

Post by drbass » 25 Aug 2015, 18:21

narcdor wrote:I mean ultimately I should just build another bass right?
Right?
You know you want to ...
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 30 Sep 2015, 17:33

I just noticed Fender are ripping off my completely 100% original design...

http://intl.fender.com/en-AU/basses/pre ... d-natural/

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 30 Sep 2015, 20:01

narcdor wrote:I just noticed Fender are ripping off my completely 100% original design...

http://intl.fender.com/en-AU/basses/pre ... d-natural/

That's a little spooky Nick!

You may have to go into R & D for Fender......

Cheers, David.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 28 Jul 2018, 11:59

Well the tinkering never ends. I swapped out the bridge with a hipshot style that covers the ball ends for a cleaner look, but it just didn’t sound as good. Really strange. So back on went the $20 Wilkinson.

Also this very small but important change. I was never happy with the string tree, so I finally threw it in with an order online and have installed it. Strange but it makes me very happy! Best $3 ever spent.

Before, blerg, gah, horrible:

After, yes, winning, beautiful:

I may have to do something about the weight next.

Still a very very nice playing and almost P sounding but not quite bass. Very happy! I’d recommend anyone with two left thumbs to try building their own instrument, go check out the melbourne guitar show Aug 4/5 and chat to the guys at MSGM, plus a few disciples.

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 29 Jul 2018, 08:58

That looks great well done.

Hope this is the first of many

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 29 Jul 2018, 09:08

It was the first! My Tele build has stalled for lack of time to get out to the workshop but I am making a concerted effort to make the time.