Build #1

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
basshack

Re: Build #1

Post by basshack » 27 Aug 2014, 16:44

narcdor wrote:
basshack wrote:Very impressive! LOL at the face full of dust comment. I expect though you were protected with a full face guard, dust mask, glasses and hearing attenuators of some description... :eyebrow:
Ha. Ha ha. Yes, I definitely should have been. Copped an eye full of powdery mahogany. Then I went and got my safety gear (glasses, dust mask). The noise from that machine isn't bad for 5 mins at a time.
:hellno: you only have two eyes and ears. You're a bad lad and a lucky one too.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 27 Aug 2014, 21:40

Yep, lesson learned.
Strings: Fender, Custom, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Cones: Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

basshack

Post by basshack » 27 Aug 2014, 22:01

I have a scar on the back of my hand that reminds me of my near fatal car accident. They offered to fix it at the time but it keeps me thinking about "the consequences" when I drive. Enough said, be careful please.

Peter TRB

Post by Peter TRB » 28 Aug 2014, 17:53

Hi Narcdor-

can you post a photo of that bass being built which is a replica of the first electric bass from 1937? You guys are doing some great work and this is an interesting historic project as are all the bass builds.

cheers and thanks if your able . petee

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 28 Aug 2014, 21:04

Peter TRB wrote:Hi Narcdor-

can you post a photo of that bass being built which is a replica of the first electric bass from 1937? You guys are doing some great work and this is an interesting historic project as are all the bass builds.

cheers and thanks if your able . petee
Hey pete not sure what you mean. Is it being built by a student at NMIT or by David? Could be it's in the other class maybe? Only two basses being built in my class and both are 1957 plus (split coil) Precisions.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 02 Sep 2014, 22:50

Week 7 progress, starting to get to details so not quite as impressive.

Shaped the headstock like a somewhat tele bass, tuner positions marked

Finished rounding off the back edges in the belly cut, neck pocket back and edges. You can't see it but bored the side jack hole where that line goes from the edge to the control cavity.

And rounding on the forearm cut and front neck pocket edges. Also marked the bridge location and routed the hole ready for drilling the bridge ground wire run.
Last edited by narcdor on 15 Jul 2017, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 03 Sep 2014, 11:31

^something with the link on the first pic (the headstock one)... I can't view it... the next two are fine...
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 03 Sep 2014, 19:51

PilbaraBass wrote:^something with the link on the first pic (the headstock one)... I can't view it... the next two are fine...
Strange, just open the whole album from the link you should be able to get to it.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 17 Sep 2014, 13:12

Not much to report, and no pics because I forgot to take some.

Cut the channel for the truss rod into the neck and glued it in. More sanding of the body. I also got the pots and electrosocket jack last week so made the side hole flat so the electrosocket sits flat and marked out the places for the pots to be drilled. I also need to widen the pickup routs as they are not quite square enough for the pickup covers to move freely in. Using old P covers as the ones I ordered are 3-4 weeks away.

Sanded the body down to 320 grade so it's getting pretty smooth now. I forsee a lot more sanding in my future. Going to treat the body with melted warwick wax as they do in the warwick factory, then perhaps lemon oil, then more wax on top. I have to try out the lemon oil on the offcut I have but experimented with melted wax and seems to do a great job of grain filling.

cleary

Post by cleary » 17 Sep 2014, 13:34

Mate you should've brought this down to the gtg. Me and Blaine could have finished it off with the soldering iron and drill.

In all seriousness, this is looking really good - first build or not. Thanks for keeping us updated :)
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 29 Oct 2014, 10:00

Ok, keep getting too involved in actually working on it to take pics, but here are some more along with an update.

Drilled out the two pot holes in the body, it's pretty much ready now. Most of the work is on the neck.

Glued the fretboard on and arrived at this

Then it was over to the bandsaw to trim the fretboard fairly close shape, working the rest with files, plane and sandpaper. Once that was done cut the radius into the board at 9.5" with a router jig David built. Works well! Except the width of the neck down the body end and the jig weren't quite wide enough for the 9.5" radius so had to do some edge by hand with a cabinet scraper and radiused sanding block. Then levelled the fretboard with radiused sanding block and a straight edge. Drilled out the tuner holes and cut back the headstock thickness with a flat router for now on the same jig, tidy that up later.

Got to the very exciting and challenging fret slots last night. Marked out the positions and scored with a stanley knife, then cut a tiny V into the edge of each score for the fret saw to nestle into. You can see in this photo I've done most of the scoring.

Then I practiced with a fret saw on some scrap for about an hour getting the feel for it, and ended up cutting about 6 or 7 slots in the fretboard before it was time to pack up. I can tell you the practice really paid off, from the first to the 20th practice slots it got better every time.
Last edited by narcdor on 15 Jul 2017, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

basshack

Post by basshack » 29 Oct 2014, 11:37

It's looking good! So very envious and hankering to get going on the next class available. Don't know where I'll find the time but I'll have to make it happen some how.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 01 Nov 2014, 10:52

If its a weekend class I'd definitely be in. Weekdays are a bit of a killer for me :(
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 01 Nov 2014, 17:17

My class time is Tuesday 6pm-9pm and there was a Friday all day class run this semester. Not sure if that's usual or if it changes depending on interest, hope that helps. I'll try and remember to ask David next class.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 01 Nov 2014, 20:01

narcdor wrote:My class time is Tuesday 6pm-9pm and there was a Friday all day class run this semester. Not sure if that's usual or if it changes depending on interest, hope that helps. I'll try and remember to ask David next class.
I bumped into David a few weeks ago at a show being put on by Peter TRB.......there is the possibility for a weekend session sometime in the future. It's wait and see for now :yep
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"