Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
User avatar
cackland
Posts: 349
Joined: 01 Jul 2009, 22:46
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by cackland » 02 Mar 2019, 09:45

Great repair thread!
really enjoy the insight
MTD 535, Brubaker KXB Extreme 5, Lakland 5594, Sadowsky Metro MS5, Stingray 5, West Fretless 5, Fender RW J, NS WAV4
Bergantino B|Amp,
Bergantino AE212, AE112

basshack
Posts: 4858
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by basshack » 12 Mar 2019, 22:17

So work has progressed on the neck in-between my own builds while glue and paint dries etc.

When we last left this I had the truss rod out and was looking at some metal work to make a new one. I was browsing Stewmac and found a single action truss rod kit and thought why not put it in the box with the other stuff I needed and that decision saved me hours of work. The retainer was a little smaller than the original but a drilled out plug sorted that out and then it was into replacing the skunk strip.

Remember the truss rod is sitting in a curved slot? Well the bottom of the skunk strip has to match that curve too. That was a bit of fun working out what shape it needed to be and then making it fit across both width and variable depth. Not afraid to say it was frustrating and I threw one attempt away. I got the shape right but over sanded it width wise and it was a bit too sloppy in the slot to use. Mark II was much better and it got glued up and left for a few days to really allow the glue to set.

Trimmed the excess wood off tonight with spokeshave and card scraper. Then it was into the sanding because not only did I have to smooth off the interface between the new insert and the old neck I also had to take the old paint off too. So 120 grit down to 320 grit in a couple of steps. Not really surprised how many flat spots there were on the neck where they haven't paid a lot of attention when building it in the first place. It is built to a price after all and they don't have the time I have to get it nicely rounded and smooth. Once the sanding was done it was masking time for the sealer coats to be applied and then the gloss will go over that. Ran out of time tonight to put the sealer coats on so David will either do that himself before I get back in on Thursday or I'll do it then.

So pictures.

Image
Making the plug to fill the hole that was. To be drilled out to fit the new retainer.

Image
Mark I. A lovely bit of scrap walnut sitting in the slot and looking neat at this point.

Image
Mark II. A lovely bit of scrap rosewood being clamped in place over the new rod.

Image
The excess strip coming off with my Veritas spoke shave. Since I had lots to take off I set it on an aggressive cut.

Image
Sanded back the old paint so we don't have problems with adhesion. Blending the old and the new paint is going to be a new skill for David to teach me.

Image
And here it is masked up ready to paint.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

User avatar
Rocksolid
Posts: 2267
Joined: 02 Mar 2009, 17:27
Location: Prospect, South Australia

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by Rocksolid » 12 Mar 2019, 22:37

To say I am grateful and truly blessed to have a bloke like Blaine offer to do this for me on a Squier fretless is truly an understatement. It will be better than new

Thank you Blaine.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Gibson I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

basshack
Posts: 4858
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by basshack » 12 Mar 2019, 22:49

Ahh shucks Steve, you're making me blush. It's teaching me new skills and that's a good thing and I should be thanking you for trusting me with it.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

User avatar
drbass
Posts: 3474
Joined: 04 Apr 2013, 05:31
Location: Doreen, Victoria
Contact:

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by drbass » 13 Mar 2019, 08:31

Rocksolid wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 22:37
To say I am grateful and truly blessed to have a bloke like Blaine offer to do this for me on a Squier fretless is truly an understatement. It will be better than new

Thank you Blaine.
Blaine would be the first (non-professional - simply stating a fact and not making a judgement) person I would turn to for any job like this or any other repair. Meticulous, attention to detail, resourceful - and never blames his tools ;) .
Witnessed parts of Blaine preparing the first walnut strip, can't wait to see the "finished" work on Friday.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

User avatar
narcdor
Posts: 4336
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 16:36
Location: Melbourne

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by narcdor » 13 Mar 2019, 09:32

It's going to feel and play like a custom shop after Blaine's done with it!

Also note to self, skunk stripe, not worth it :thumbup:
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, MusicMan
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

basshack
Posts: 4858
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by basshack » 13 Mar 2019, 11:22

drbass wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 08:31
Rocksolid wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 22:37
To say I am grateful and truly blessed to have a bloke like Blaine offer to do this for me on a Squier fretless is truly an understatement. It will be better than new

Thank you Blaine.
Blaine would be the first (non-professional - simply stating a fact and not making a judgement) person I would turn to for any job like this or any other repair. Meticulous, attention to detail, resourceful - and never blames his tools ;) .
Witnessed parts of Blaine preparing the first walnut strip, can't wait to see the "finished" work on Friday.

Regards,
Michael
Did you leave before or after the swearing started? And yes it doesn't do to blame your tools when the tool is in fact the guy operating them.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

basshack
Posts: 4858
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by basshack » 13 Mar 2019, 11:24

narcdor wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 09:32
It's going to feel and play like a custom shop after Blaine's done with it!

Also note to self, skunk stripe, not worth it :thumbup:
Going from the fretboard side would be more difficult given you'd have to remove the board and still have to deal with routing out the slot for the rod etc. No this way was the easiest way through the process.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

User avatar
drbass
Posts: 3474
Joined: 04 Apr 2013, 05:31
Location: Doreen, Victoria
Contact:

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by drbass » 13 Mar 2019, 11:45

basshack wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 11:22
drbass wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 08:31
Rocksolid wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 22:37
To say I am grateful and truly blessed to have a bloke like Blaine offer to do this for me on a Squier fretless is truly an understatement. It will be better than new

Thank you Blaine.
Blaine would be the first (non-professional - simply stating a fact and not making a judgement) person I would turn to for any job like this or any other repair. Meticulous, attention to detail, resourceful - and never blames his tools ;) .
Witnessed parts of Blaine preparing the first walnut strip, can't wait to see the "finished" work on Friday.

Regards,
Michael
Did you leave before or after the swearing started? And yes it doesn't do to blame your tools when the tool is in fact the guy operating them.
:rolf:

Like I said, meticulous, attention to detail, resourceful. Never mentioned swearing because it never stops ;) :D

See you Friday.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

User avatar
Rocksolid
Posts: 2267
Joined: 02 Mar 2009, 17:27
Location: Prospect, South Australia

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by Rocksolid » 13 Mar 2019, 11:55

Never picked Blaine as a potty mouth!
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Gibson I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

User avatar
narcdor
Posts: 4336
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 16:36
Location: Melbourne

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by narcdor » 13 Mar 2019, 12:00

basshack wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 11:24
narcdor wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 09:32
It's going to feel and play like a custom shop after Blaine's done with it!

Also note to self, skunk stripe, not worth it :thumbup:
Going from the fretboard side would be more difficult given you'd have to remove the board and still have to deal with routing out the slot for the rod etc. No this way was the easiest way through the process.
Looking at it from a build point of view, but yes makes repairs easier with the stripe. I am about to find out with two basses needing boards to come off for truss rod work sitting here taunting me.
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, MusicMan
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

basshack
Posts: 4858
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by basshack » 13 Mar 2019, 12:02

Rocksolid wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 11:55
Never picked Blaine as a potty mouth!
I’m not but I did think some not nice words.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

User avatar
Rocksolid
Posts: 2267
Joined: 02 Mar 2009, 17:27
Location: Prospect, South Australia

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by Rocksolid » 14 Mar 2019, 18:59

Anyone know if Blaine is a wine drinker, whiskey drinker, or something else he is partial to?
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Gibson I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

User avatar
DoctorJohn
Posts: 316
Joined: 30 May 2016, 13:10
Location: SA

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by DoctorJohn » 14 Mar 2019, 19:23

I’m sure he wouldn’t turn a super bassman away 😂

basshack
Posts: 4858
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Re: Replacement suggestions Squier VM Precision Fretless Neck (broken truss rod)

Post by basshack » 14 Mar 2019, 22:55

Rocksolid wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 18:59
Anyone know if Blaine is a wine drinker, whiskey drinker, or something else he is partial to?
I deliberately didn't answer that text and as I have said numerous times I am happy to do this for you. I think it's a pretty even deal, you get the neck back working again and I get to learn something new.

As to the Super Bassman? Been there done that and moved on, it was good but sorry my McNeil kills it and anything Monique is attached to makes sure it's dead and buried. Maybe we need a tube amp shoot out in SA like we did with the 6-Boxes a few years back. I'll get Sneaky to come across with the Demeter and we'll have some fun blowing walls down.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heath and 2 guests