Build #021 - "Sirius” Mango - Yummy!

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
drbass

Build #021 - "Sirius” Mango - Yummy!

Post by drbass » 21 Dec 2018, 19:24

I've mentioned this one previously but now it's time to start a new thread. And those who are waiting for their basses: don't worry, there will be no impact on the progress of your builds.

After some soul searching and feedback from others I've re-imagined the original (v 1.0) shape of the Gumdrop (can anyone think of a better name?) and took some Merlin inspiration.

Here are the two together:

And on top of each other, Merlin at the bottom:

After seeing the pictures there is still some room for modification so this is close but not quite the final shape.

This is the walnut body from the back (because that's what you'll see):

And the mango top with a section removed to make the matching headstock and the electronics cover:

And routed the truss rod and carbon fibre rod channels:

The neck is the reject (because it was so not square) neck for build #014, the fretted Merlin for Matt, maple with two wenge stringers. Should be fun.
And yes, there are slots for 4 carbon rods. Why? Why not! Well, the rods come as 100 cm units so I have plenty of shorter offcuts and thought I might as well use them stabilising the transition from heel to actual neck.

I think this will be just a normal bolt-on, nothing fancy. Not sure about the board (most likely Birdseye maple) but definitely fretted - already have a fabulous v1.0 fretless.

Regards,
Michael
Last edited by drbass on 22 Feb 2019, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

basshack

Re: Build #021 - "Gumdrop" Mango - Yummy!

Post by basshack » 22 Dec 2018, 08:25

Nah use the wenge board. Same colour pallet etc.

Been really good seeing you build stuff this year Michael.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 22 Dec 2018, 08:59

basshack wrote:
22 Dec 2018, 08:25

Hi Blaine,

Was hoping to catch up in the shop yesterday. Your project looks quite amazing, can't wait for you to introduce it to the general public.

I don't have a wenge board but you are right, maple would be too light, won't quite fit. I'll find something ... .
I'll also have to do a black veneer layer between the walnut and mango, they're too similar (the walnut stock I have at the moment is very light) so any glue-up of this one will have to wait until next year. Plenty of other stuff to do ;) .

Thank you so much for your kind comment just here, and your ongoing advice, encouragement and contributions to what I'm doing throughout the year - I really appreciate your input (even if I don't always follow it ;) ).

Catch up next year - have a great Xmas and may 2019 be what you want it to be.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

basshack

Post by basshack » 22 Dec 2018, 12:13

drbass wrote:
22 Dec 2018, 08:59
basshack wrote:
22 Dec 2018, 08:25

Hi Blaine,

Was hoping to catch up in the shop yesterday. Your project looks quite amazing, can't wait for you to introduce it to the general public.

Regards,
Michael
Yeah got really busy yesterday with Xmas shopping and postage for the family we won't be seeing, then grabbed the trailer and got to the shop after lunch and picked up the "project". It worked out fine, missed the rain, missed Sharon coming to her Mums (where I have hidden the project) got Ben and Casey cleared of my needs to their appointments and then collapsed in front of the tv for the evening.

Oh and check out the Merry Christmas thread Michael. I went public this morning.

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 22 Dec 2018, 12:36

drbass wrote:
21 Dec 2018, 19:24
After some soul searching and feedback from others I've re-imagined the original (v 1.0) shape of the Gumdrop (can anyone think of a better name?)
As the Gumdrop is largely based on the Manta shape but a smaller body, how about these name suggestions?:

Manta Middy
Middy Manta
Manta Jr
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Polaris basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

drbass

Post by drbass » 25 Dec 2018, 17:10

Not sure about those, Matt (Merry Christmas!) - I loved "Merlin" but these don't quite resonate. I'll let it simmer for a little while.

Found my board. I had a couple of pieces of Koa lying around (the top went to Blaine earlier this year, and these are the sides) - stays right in the "very interesting but not in your face" category and works well (I think) with the mango:

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 25 Dec 2018, 17:22

Koa and mango......beautiful combination :cool:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

packrat

Post by packrat » 25 Dec 2018, 23:10

Devilfish, right? Devil?

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 26 Dec 2018, 21:50

A young Manta Ray is called a Pup.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

drbass

Post by drbass » 04 Jan 2019, 13:50

Still no real decision regarding the name but here's the pre-slotted board:

That's right, despite the high temp in the workshop I went all the way to 27 slots. Might use them all.

Regards,
Michael

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 04 Jan 2019, 14:23

Really like the new shape. Any indications what the reduction in size will do for weight reduction (not that your instruments need it)

drbass

Post by drbass » 04 Jan 2019, 14:28

slashin_velvet wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 14:23
Really like the new shape. Any indications what the reduction in size will do for weight reduction (not that your instruments need it)
Thanks, Davin,

The body has just gone into the “glue press” (walnut, black veneer contrast layer, mango top).

The prototype weighs 3.4 kgs, not bad for a 5 string, but a fair bit of that is probably because the accoya is so light. I expect this build to be around the 3.5 kgs mark with a somewhat smaller body than the prototype, and the relatively thick mango top is rather light (porous timber).

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 11 Feb 2019, 19:46

Some progress with this one.

The pickup configuration should look vaguely familiar - it's an hommage to my "go-to" bass when I still played 4-string. Same relative position, same angle of the bridge pickup. Of course it'll sound nothing like a Thumb (then again, maybe it will?).
Simple electronics: 3-way switch for each pickup (series/single/parallel), 3-way switch for neck/both series/bridge, and a Nordstrand 3b-3.

Neck is also fitted but still need to glue the board on and put the inserts in. Body weighs just about nothing at the moment before ANY shaping (OK, I did some round-over action), it'll be a very light bass.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 16 Feb 2019, 18:18

Felt like doing a bit of body shaping today so I put some elbow grease into this thing. I think I'll go with "Sirius" for a name, btw.

Very happy with how this is turning out, no issues with wrong measurements, no holes in the wrong places, no router incidents, nothing. The mango top is very easy to work with (as is the walnut, of course), and it's just sanding from here on in.

Front:

and back:

Neck will have 24 frets. This is incredibly light.

Regards,
Michael

basshack

Post by basshack » 16 Feb 2019, 18:30

ooo fancy neck bolt holes. Who's getting all arty then?