Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
Classic5

Re: Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Post by Classic5 » 19 Jul 2018, 20:04

That's just looking better and better every time you post an update. :cool:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 19 Jul 2018, 20:26

^ Agreed.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product :yep
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

basshack

Post by basshack » 19 Jul 2018, 22:08

See you tomorrow morning and I should really teach you to do wires!
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 21 Jul 2018, 14:10

basshack wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 22:08
See you tomorrow morning and I should really teach you to do wires!
Good to catch up (mind you, you spent most of the time with the drill press ;) ), Blaine, and yes, I'll take you up on that offer.

Special Q went back into the spray booth. Despite the eager coats the softer parts of the spalted maple kept sucking up the final coats. Quick wet-sand with 1200 to level everything (it's just the front, the back - northern ash - is perfectly fine) and now waiting for a couple more final coats. Very unlikely this will be finished before the Melbourne Guitar Show.
Neck looks good, levelled the frets but didn't dress them yet.

Kermit Sauron also received a fret level, and I dressed them as well. Looks nice, feels nice, this will be ready for the show (at least to show - depends on me getting the electronics sorted). Still trying to sort out the replaceable ramp v2.0, and of course waiting for the final Hipshot Solo from Bestbassgear. Can't wait to set this one up some time next week.

Sorry, no pics this time.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

drbass

Post by drbass » 24 Jul 2018, 13:26

Oooooooh - always exciting to get notification that Canada Post confirms delivery of some cellulose and other polysaccharides as well as lignin and other wall deposits.

Pics once I'm home and had a look.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

drbass

Post by drbass » 24 Jul 2018, 20:36

As mentioned special deliveries from Canada are always a reason to get excited.

Afrormosa - it DOES smell, just can't quite put my finger (or should that be nose) on what it smells like:

Beautiful though, understated ... .

Two maple burls, my new go-to top replacing spalted maple ;) :

And two bocote tops - the already feel super-smooth, hopefully that's an indication of how it's going to be to work with:

Colour isn't exactly accurate, the white balance corrected differently for each pic, sorry.

Fun times ahead.

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 24 Jul 2018, 21:05

Great selection there Michael :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

Juan Lauda

Post by Juan Lauda » 24 Jul 2018, 21:48

I’m finding your progress really exciting, Michael. Thanks for taking the time to document and share it.
Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

drbass

Post by drbass » 25 Jul 2018, 11:19

Juan Lauda wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 21:48
I’m finding your progress really exciting, Michael. Thanks for taking the time to document and share it.
Thanks, Tim,

Growing up in public ... .

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 27 Jul 2018, 18:14

Progress. The additional satin coats did it for the Special Q, and I finally could install the bridge, strap locks, battery compartment and also mounted the pickups. Nice when things move along:

Spent some quality time in the workshop as well (talking to Blaine) and also re-dressing a couple of frets for the Kermit Sauron. Much better now, nice super-low action just as I like it.

And prep work. Here's a year's worth of truss road covers, hand-crafted to the exacting specifications of professional musicians:

Just kidding. However they're walnut which is most important for that smooth tone we all love :poke: :D .
Here are the two golden masters for the current builds with all holes:

Here with the 2 mm Luminlay, and the "ramp and insert" v.2.0, also with logo before sanding:

And while I have collected and prepared some material for the next Kermit NT (Amboyna Burl) I've started my accoya build. I'll do a 2-part body and an English oak top:

This might be a total flop but I most definitely want to give it a shot, since it's nice and light. We'll see. If it is any good at all I'll be using the EMG pickups (only 2) recently purchased from "packrat" with the Noll pre-amp that's sitting on the shelf. Def 5 string, 35", maybe fretless, not sure which body shape just yet (possibly the Manta v2.0). Anyway ... .

Regards,
Michael

packrat

Post by packrat » 27 Jul 2018, 18:22

I hear that you can make up for using a lighter wood by using more (4) pickups.

B>

MentalPatient

Post by MentalPatient » 29 Jul 2018, 11:45

packrat wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 18:22
I hear that you can make up for using a lighter wood by using more (4) pickups.

B>
Um, no, heavier strings :peep:

Luminlay's for your logo, you may have a first there.
Glockenklang Heart Rock II | Steamhammer | 6-Box | Quattro | Roscoe
Last edited by MentalPatient on 15 Apr 2015, 18:10, edited 963,482,564,947 times in total

drbass

Post by drbass » 31 Jul 2018, 08:26

Still only 2 pickups, Bruce, and I'm a lighter gauge strings guy, Anthony.
It'll have to be a much smaller body as well since the glued-up body is only about 28 cms wide (didn't measure beforehand, it's only atrial) so I might end up with a super-slim body - have to think about the design but the Ibanez Bean basses come to mind.

Blaine was so very kind last night and endured a couple of hours of my presence to help solder up the Kermit Sauron, teaching me some soldering basics along the way. We eventually got there. Still have to properly install the jack and clean up the wiring just a little (pretty "messy" in there right now but not too fussed in this instance). A preliminary check indicates that everything is working as it should.

Blaine brought out a little "Drive" combo, and (at least for me) there were some nice sounds and tonal variations coming from the bass. There isn't a massive difference between the single coil and parallel settings for the pickups (using an unofficial wiring scheme to get the front coil rather than the back coil) - subtly more treble for the parallel setting. There is a big difference when going series though, and that's generally my preferred sound option anyway. Phat and phunky phun phor sure (that's a thing, right, using ph instead of f?).

I'll finish everything tonight and will a) take some pics and b) play through the PJ Bighead to get a proper indication of the tonal possibilities. Stay tuned.

Regards,
Michael

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 31 Jul 2018, 08:54

Next thing you’ll be grabbing the spray gun! I can’t wait to give it a spin.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

drbass

Post by drbass » 31 Jul 2018, 09:09

narcdor wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 08:54
Next thing you’ll be grabbing the spray gun! I can’t wait to give it a spin.
Most likely not going to happen, Nick. The "Special Q" is pretty much the end of the line for spalted maple for me (although I still have a couple of bookmatched tops), and I'm using the Osmo products with more confidence and experience - they give a really nice finish, super-thin (i.e. the wood definitely feels like wood, not like a nitro coat) and presumably VERY durable. Old dog: NO new tricks ... ;) .

Regards,
Michael