Introduce Yourself

Announcements, Introductions, Forum Support and Questions
Frobie

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Frobie » 08 Feb 2017, 23:58

Hi Bass Players. Now that i'm 65 I thought it was high time I joined a few bass forums and Ozbass was top of my list. Better late than never? I have been giggling in bands since I was 16 (so that's 50 years with a few breaks between bands). Most of my bands have been top40, pop, rock, "middle of the road" and even cabaret in my early days..mostly chasing the money as a semi-pro and that's the sort of music stuff in Adelaide people were wanting in the 70's and 80's etc. Corporate gigs are the best payers.
My gear has been the usual big names over the years..a selection of cheap Japanese copies in the mid 60's before my Fender Precision in 1967, Gibson (short neck) EB3 (69-76), 2 Rickenbacker 4003, Washburn Force 5 String, Fender Acoustic 4, my beautiful high gloss Fretless Maton Jumbuck 4 (JB4), Samick 4 my son left me, my workhouse of the last 30 years is my gorgeous red Peavey Dyna Bass 5 string I call Lucy (who my UK wife adores)..I have a made to order Ernie Ball Musicman SR5 HH on the way about mid year from the California factory which I am really hanging out for. My amps over the years have been a Goldentone (60watt i believe if memory is working) in the 60's, a (JM) Marshall 100watt bass head run into a variety of cabs (one had an 18" Gauss speaker with 2x12" somethings in it). I used, and still own the head (have pics), of a Sydney made Lenard amp head and cab..the head is a SGB150 and the cab ran 4x12" Etones. I butchered the cab unfortunately as it got really rattly and the size was hard to transport back then too. I made 2 column style boxes for the 4 (2x2 in a box) Etones and they did well using twin heads and running the 2 amps for stereo on the Rickenbacker 4003..an amp either side of the stage using the stereo jack on the bass splitting the 2 pickups to seperate amps...sounded great our front from all reports at places like the Bridgeway, Fiesta Villa at the Findon and Old Lion hotels etc etc etc.
My workhorse amp is a Peavey MarkIV head run though a Peavey 1820 cab which is heavy as beggery but what a sound when the Peavey Dyna Bass is pumping that big Black Widow 18" and the 2x10" Scorpions. I wouldnt swap the Peavey rig or Peavey axe for anything. I hope the EBMM SR5 sounds great through the Peavey amp..I'll let you all know by the end of July. For smaller gigs and band practises I use my Fender Rumble75 and thats got heaps of punch as well.
I am out of bands this past year or more as I got re-married to my English Rose (i'm an Ocker thru and thru) and we have had many things to do and my father died also, so I am near the end of my hiatus now and looking forward to gigging again soon hopefully, even though I've enjoyed the time off. Bands I've been in over the years were just local Adelaide bands like Quicksilver (70's) Catch 22 (80's) Risky Business (90's plus) and a bunch of names I struggle to forget loll I seem to remember one from the 60's called Neon Watermelon but that's all I remember from the 60's lolll Its been hazy ever since lolll
Anyway it's nice to join a group of like minded musicians amid this bass playing fraternity. Howdy all. Nice to meet you.
Peavey Dynabass 5, EBMM Stingray 5, RickenBacker 4003, Sterling byMusicMan S.U.B. Ray4, Fender CB100CE AcousticBass, Peavey MKIV 1820 Rig, Fender Rumble500 Combo w/115 Cab, Peavey T-40 Bass.
Getting paid for something you love doing is a dream fulfilled

veebass

Post by veebass » 17 Feb 2017, 04:38

Frobie wrote:Hi Bass Players. Now that i'm 65 I thought it was high time I joined a few bass forums and Ozbass was top of my list. Better late than never? I have been giggling in bands since I was 16 (so that's 50 years with a few breaks between bands). Most of my bands have been top40, pop, rock, "middle of the road" and even cabaret in my early days..mostly chasing the money as a semi-pro and that's the sort of music stuff in Adelaide people were wanting in the 70's and 80's etc. Corporate gigs are the best payers.
My gear has been the usual big names over the years..a selection of cheap Japanese copies in the mid 60's before my Fender Precision in 1967, Gibson (short neck) EB3 (69-76), 2 Rickenbacker 4003, Washburn Force 5 String, Fender Acoustic 4, my beautiful high gloss Fretless Maton Jumbuck 4 (JB4), Samick 4 my son left me, my workhouse of the last 30 years is my gorgeous red Peavey Dyna Bass 5 string I call Lucy (who my UK wife adores)..I have a made to order Ernie Ball Musicman SR5 HH on the way about mid year from the California factory which I am really hanging out for. My amps over the years have been a Goldentone (60watt i believe if memory is working) in the 60's, a (JM) Marshall 100watt bass head run into a variety of cabs (one had an 18" Gauss speaker with 2x12" somethings in it). I used, and still own the head (have pics), of a Sydney made Lenard amp head and cab..the head is a SGB150 and the cab ran 4x12" Etones. I butchered the cab unfortunately as it got really rattly and the size was hard to transport back then too. I made 2 column style boxes for the 4 (2x2 in a box) Etones and they did well using twin heads and running the 2 amps for stereo on the Rickenbacker 4003..an amp either side of the stage using the stereo jack on the bass splitting the 2 pickups to seperate amps...sounded great our front from all reports at places like the Bridgeway, Fiesta Villa at the Findon and Old Lion hotels etc etc etc.
My workhorse amp is a Peavey MarkIV head run though a Peavey 1820 cab which is heavy as beggery but what a sound when the Peavey Dyna Bass is pumping that big Black Widow 18" and the 2x10" Scorpions. I wouldnt swap the Peavey rig or Peavey axe for anything. I hope the EBMM SR5 sounds great through the Peavey amp..I'll let you all know by the end of July. For smaller gigs and band practises I use my Fender Rumble75 and thats got heaps of punch as well.
I am out of bands this past year or more as I got re-married to my English Rose (i'm an Ocker thru and thru) and we have had many things to do and my father died also, so I am near the end of my hiatus now and looking forward to gigging again soon hopefully, even though I've enjoyed the time off. Bands I've been in over the years were just local Adelaide bands like Quicksilver (70's) Catch 22 (80's) Risky Business (90's plus) and a bunch of names I struggle to forget loll I seem to remember one from the 60's called Neon Watermelon but that's all I remember from the 60's lolll Its been hazy ever since lolll
Anyway it's nice to join a group of like minded musicians amid this bass playing fraternity. Howdy all. Nice to meet you.
Welcome and thanks for your story. You have been bassing for even longer than me. :thumbup:
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 17 Feb 2017, 07:56

veebass wrote:Welcome and thanks for your story. You have been bassing for even longer than me. :thumbup:
Welcome aboard! Suddenly I don't feel so old anymore :thumbup:

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 17 Feb 2017, 10:13

Welcome Frobie. I'd love to hear a few of your stories from over the years.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 17 Feb 2017, 12:14

Welcome Frobie from a fellow Adelaidean.

Wow Fiesta Villa and the Findon are part of my DNA, I probably saw one of your shows in the 80s hehe
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Frobie

Post by Frobie » 19 Feb 2017, 05:15

Lol you guys..now I do feel old Mark..thanks heaps matie, howdy and Hi back, veebass, BassLine and BazzBass. Yep Bazz if you played those Adelaide gigs too you probably also remember John Vincent the DJ (RIP) and he was always hopping onstage to do a bracket with us and borrowing the rhythm guitarists guitar to thrash out songs like "Havin' A Barbie" "Junk Mail" etc etc. The poor guitarist had to retune his axe every time John played his 3 chords on it, then we would have to wipe the dribble off his mic too afterwards. I still keep in touch with a couple of the old DJ's from that era as they would share the nights with us back then doing alternate brackets. Vic Bailey if you remember him..i still see occasionally. Fiesta Villa at the Findon if I recall was Multiplication every other week...lol Yep I played all those types of Gigs around mid 70's to late 80's and 90's..Tollgate, Sams (redlegs Clubrooms) Flashez disco (hotel Aust) The Tonsley (forgotten the club name..Sergios was it?) Salisbury Hotel, Ramsgate pub, Mansfield (Park) pub, Finsbury pub, The Arkaba, Bridgeway Hotel..heaps of clubs and big gigs like Mitsubishi and open air concerts on Eliz oval etc etc etc. Our singer at the time owned Southern Artists booking agency so we got some good work. Yep it was a busy time before the dreaded Pokies took live music for a big dive the past 20 years or so. Heaps of good bands and musicians over the years got their starts in Adelaide though, before moving on to Melbourne and Sydney to consolidate their work and advance themselves. It was, and always has been very hard to get anywhere "big" staying in Adelaide unfortunately. Even guys who did "make" it pretty big in their day, Like John Bywaters for example (who was the early bassist with The Twilights with Glenn Shorrock Paddy McCartney etc) stayed in Adelaide and ended up in pretty good paying bands but didnt advance further afield..probably his choice too as we were all young fathers back then and had obligations.
Anyway guys thanks for the welcome and i'll make sure I keep up the posts while the old eyes and older hands are still working...lol I'm in between bands at present if you wondered, but have a few prospects on the horizon. I have enjoyed the forced break anyway for the last couple years even though i've been keeping my hand in with emergency fill in gigs etc.
Nice to be here among like minded guys...we bass players mostly all think pretty much the same way in my experience with other bass player mates...we are all slightly crazy, similar warped humour etc, but one thing we all have in common is that we LOVE holding down that important bottom end and wouldn't do anything else, because there wouldn't be much of a band without the BASS GUITARIST and believe me the crowds would know it if the bass WASN'T there! Giff.
Peavey Dynabass 5, EBMM Stingray 5, RickenBacker 4003, Sterling byMusicMan S.U.B. Ray4, Fender CB100CE AcousticBass, Peavey MKIV 1820 Rig, Fender Rumble500 Combo w/115 Cab, Peavey T-40 Bass.

Frobie

Post by Frobie » 19 Feb 2017, 05:53

Oh by the way guys if you haven't seen this bloke the way he cleans his Bass Strings go and do a google search for this Youtube video about this guy who cleans his bass strings without removing them from the guitar and without using any cleaning liquids. Its a novel approach and seems to work..have a look anyway. The Youtube clip is 5.29 mins long and titled "How to get NEW bass strings in 2 minutes! Super bass tip" do a search on that title cause i'm not sure that i am allowed to post links..new guy and all..so just cut and paste and google search that line above in the quotation marks. Let me know what you think.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 19 Feb 2017, 12:13

Ha I didn't play those shows in the 70s, I was under-age drinking at them hehe, I'm a decade younger than you.

Sams Disco at Redlegs was legendary in those days, you musta seen some sights hehe

Is that clip of the dude who bashes the crap outa his strings?

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 19 Feb 2017, 23:44

This one?
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Frobie

Post by Frobie » 21 Feb 2017, 07:27

Yep the ol guy loves to bash the s**t outta those strings as he puts it loll It seems to work..I guess its the slight stretching that does it probably..it may slightly stretch the core wire giving it a short new lease of life..from the comments on the youtube site most guys thought it shook the dirt out of the windings but i'm not sure abut that either..looks like its a short term fix at that anyway. I actually built a string cleaning tube filled with metho and use that with a spare set soaking in it when I need to change sets..that works a lot better than boiling if short of cash for a new set. Definately the best method i've used all these years. Easily googled on how to make one as well.
Wish I was a decade younger too Bazz and the funniest thing I saw at Sams Redlegs Disco was a sign in the mens toilets and I quote.."No Touching"..from that moment on playing at that place I needed eyes in the back of my head using the loo loll
Having some computer problems guys..i'm on a different one at the mo as my main one crashed Windows and I am doing recovery backups etc..gotta love it when a hard drive dies without warning at all..I have 3 in the broken computer and the one that carcked it was the boot drive..that figures..they don't last as long as they did 10 or 15 years ago..this WD was lucky to last 12-15 months..anyway if i'm not on a lot this next week or so you know why...backup backup backup...a never ending job. Giff

Paulie73

Howdy

Post by Paulie73 » 18 Mar 2017, 08:31

Hi all,
I'm a new member as of a few days ago.
I've been visiting this site a lot over the last 12 months and think its an awesome way to keep up on whats happening out there in the world of Bass in Aus.
All the best to you all,
Paul

BassLine

Re: Howdy

Post by BassLine » 18 Mar 2017, 10:20

Paulie73 wrote:Hi all,
I'm a new member as of a few days ago.
I've been visiting this site a lot over the last 12 months and think its an awesome way to keep up on whats happening out there in the world of Bass in Aus.
All the best to you all,
Paul
Welcome Paulie. Great to have you on OzBass. :thumbup:

PS. I merged your post/thread into this one, so more people will see it.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 18 Mar 2017, 11:35

Hiya Paulie, welcome to OzBass

don't be shy to show off your gear :)

Auri Cool

Post by Auri Cool » 21 Mar 2017, 10:56

Hi all,
I became a member yesterday.
I reckon this is a great site. I've been performing on bass for about 35 years, mostly pub rock, folk, 60/40, blues and for the past 2 1/2 years in a Teddy Boy Rock and Roll Band.
I look forward to chat with fellow bassists and seeing what the latest is.
As for gear i have...
A 1985 Profile by Silhouette P Bass which is my main gig bass these days. I have put Graphtech Ghost Acoustic saddles and preamp in it and now run 2 separate channels - electric and acoustic into 2 valve preamps.
These feed balance cables back to my processor rack.
The rack has an ART power filter/distributor to power...
1. SPL Transient Designer 4
2. Chameleon Labs 7802 stereo valve optical compressor
3. BSS Opal stereo 30 band graphic eq
4. BBE stereo Sonic Maximizer
5. A 2 channel mixer to submix the 2 channels to a mono unbalanced feed to my 450 watt Behringer Amp driving 4 x 10s

A Schecter Studio Stilletto 5 string.
A Kala U-Bass fretless.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 21 Mar 2017, 12:23

Welcome fellow Adelaidean :)