Big Stingray changes by Ernie Ball

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Post Reply
User avatar
DeadlyErnest
Posts: 1108
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 21:42
Location: Canberra

Big Stingray changes by Ernie Ball

Post by DeadlyErnest » 12 Aug 2018, 17:22



Sounds good on the sound clip. Don't know how true it is in real life.
Will play for food.

packrat
Posts: 530
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 02:17
Location: Sydney

Re: Big Stingray changes by Ernie Ball

Post by packrat » 12 Aug 2018, 18:06

But if they’re not stupid heavy, how will they build moral fibre?

User avatar
Classic5
Posts: 3743
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 19:33
Location: Melbourne

Re: Big Stingray changes by Ernie Ball

Post by Classic5 » 12 Aug 2018, 18:40

Interesting. I guess one day they'll also include an active/passive switch with passive tone roll off. String thru body option would also be nice :2c:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

bigswifty
Posts: 1413
Joined: 24 Apr 2011, 18:53
Location: Sydney Hills District
Contact:

Re: Big Stingray changes by Ernie Ball

Post by bigswifty » 12 Aug 2018, 20:46

Classic5 wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 18:40
Interesting. I guess one day they'll also include an active/passive switch with passive tone roll off. String thru body option would also be nice :2c:
There have been stingray models before with string-thru. Someone will correct me, but my understanding of why they've never offered a passive switch is that the parallel wired pickups don't have enough output to be useful without the preamp?
Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

User avatar
sharpman
Posts: 1180
Joined: 19 Apr 2012, 06:13
Location: Ballarat Vic

Re: Big Stingray changes by Ernie Ball

Post by sharpman » 12 Aug 2018, 21:30

Impressive. Everytime I watch a video with Sterling Ball talking, I cant help but be impressed. There is something so organic and craftsman like in the way they go about things in each of his videos I have seen, and makes me proud to play a Ray. Maybe it's also just the passion that is clearly visible.
~Labsystems 400b-Labsystems 610HP-EBMM Stingray-Darkglass B7K

User avatar
ozrider
Posts: 3716
Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 21:14
Location: Out West

Re: Big Stingray changes by Ernie Ball

Post by ozrider » 12 Aug 2018, 22:40

Here's the SR5 - the weight alone has got me interested... but I'm not sure I like the subtle changes to the lower bout. :hmm


User avatar
DeadlyErnest
Posts: 1108
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 21:42
Location: Canberra

Re: Big Stingray changes by Ernie Ball

Post by DeadlyErnest » 12 Aug 2018, 22:45



According to this, D & G have been beefed up.
Will play for food.

User avatar
aphekgreg
Posts: 2324
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 16:10
Location: Narara Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Big Stingray changes by Ernie Ball

Post by aphekgreg » 13 Aug 2018, 09:05

bigswifty wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 20:46
Classic5 wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 18:40
Interesting. I guess one day they'll also include an active/passive switch with passive tone roll off. String thru body option would also be nice :2c:
There have been stingray models before with string-thru. Someone will correct me, but my understanding of why they've never offered a passive switch is that the parallel wired pickups don't have enough output to be useful without the preamp?
Mike
Yes. I experimented with adding a passive option, with tone control to mine. Very lacklustre and uninspiring tone.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

User avatar
Classic5
Posts: 3743
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 19:33
Location: Melbourne

Re: Big Stingray changes by Ernie Ball

Post by Classic5 » 13 Aug 2018, 18:05

aphekgreg wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 09:05
bigswifty wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 20:46
Classic5 wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 18:40
Interesting. I guess one day they'll also include an active/passive switch with passive tone roll off. String thru body option would also be nice :2c:
There have been stingray models before with string-thru. Someone will correct me, but my understanding of why they've never offered a passive switch is that the parallel wired pickups don't have enough output to be useful without the preamp?
Mike
Yes. I experimented with adding a passive option, with tone control to mine. Very lacklustre and uninspiring tone.

Ok, well that explains it :)
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

WestOfBen
Posts: 627
Joined: 12 Feb 2012, 14:29
Location: Central VIC

Re: Big Stingray changes by Ernie Ball

Post by WestOfBen » 14 Aug 2018, 14:30

I really love the look and sound of these. Seem like worthy changes. One day I think I would like to own one.

Total side-note, that first video fills me with a bit of joy that my $$ Bart active equipped Epi Ripper comes somewhat close to the MM sound.
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests