Vintage Maton JB4 - Vintage meets Modern - what really should have happened.

Forum rules
Before you post on this forum read the Forum Rules in the first stickied thread. Failure to do so can result in your threads or posts to be deleted without notice.

Bumping Etiquette: You can bump your sale thread only once every 3 days. You may however add additional information to your thread or keep a discussion going when you wish.

Classifieds are now a "Supporting Member" only section. This means threads can now only be started by Supporting Members. To become a supporting member click on Paypal Donate button at the bottom of this page.

WARNING: Ozbassforum.com and its staff take no responsibilites whatsoever for any transactions that occur in this forum. Use at your own risk.
TAL

Vintage Maton JB4 - Vintage meets Modern - what really should have happened.

Post by TAL » 03 May 2018, 12:16

WARNING: This ad contains some strong personal opinions. Feel free to use the PM facility if you wish to engage with your experiences.

1970’s and 1980’s saw Maton release the JB4’s to the public.
They were solid built instruments, Brass nuts, Schaller Tuners, bad ass Bridges, neck thru design but they used Dimarzio pickups which did not translate well with the current music of the time and the new age of music ushering in.
In an effort to remain relevant to current musicians they released an active version called the MGB4, which was a little late to the party and then Maton Basses fell by the wayside.

Opinion only: Maybe they were trying to replicate the mid-late 1970 USA Fender P bass that also sported the short lived Dimarzio pickups in selected models. These pickups did not fair too well for Fender either.

So in the last few years Maton re-released the JB4 with the similar specs of the early Vintage series JB4 and they used the same Dimarzio DP series passive Pickups.
Unfortunately these basses are now discontinued and I cant help but wonder why they went and used the same Dimarzio pickups (think NOT punchy, but dark and a little hairy) .

So here we have an original Vintage Maton JB4 which has been pro resprayed in a fantastic Metallic Blue Burst.
But most importantly it sports some of the most versatile pickups -EMG’s. Yes this bass is an active bass but it is super quiet, with plenty of punch, low end, and a greater dynamic range then the previous Dimarzio’s.
One of the biggest selling assets of the Maton JB4 was it’s super playable neck. This bass has this in spades. Super fast, super low, just a pleasure to play. Its punchy sounding all over the neck. One of the best necks out there.
The EMG Jazz pickup is very Jaco Pastorius sounding and if you roll off the tone a little, and select the front pickup, then you are in P Bass heaven.
So this Maton retains all the vintage features that makes it great but sports all the best features of EMG Pickup upgrades and with the new colour scheme this in, my opinion, transforms it to a modern day classic.
This bass has been through the thorough hands of Rohan at the Guitar shop - hence the dream setup with new .45 -.100 Strings. That guy is a legend.
Comes with hard case. Brisbane location but easy to ship.
Price is only $1500.
Thanks for stopping by.

More pics available on request.
Image1.4 by BEANAT19, on Flickr
Image1.5 by BEANAT19, on Flickr
Image1 by BEANAT19, on FlickrImage3 by BEANAT19, on FlickrImage4 by BEANAT19, on FlickrImage6 by BEANAT19, on Flickr

Classic5

Re: Vintage Maton JB4 - Vintage meets Modern - what really should have happened.

Post by Classic5 » 03 May 2018, 22:01

Interesting :cool:

I tend to agree with your comments about the recent release of the JB. I hate to say it but the finish was not even close to the original. Unfortunately it just looked cheap. I never actually got to hear one though, so can't comment on the sound. It's a pitty, as I was really hoping that Maton would make a comeback on the bass front :(
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

noplanb

Re: Vintage Maton JB4 - Vintage meets Modern - what really should have happened.

Post by noplanb » 04 May 2018, 12:29

Nice looking JB4.
I can confirm my 2013 fretless has Dimarzios - they are 'darker' than other lively pups, but I don't have a lot of opportunity for the 'clangy' end of things.
In fact, once I'd gone over the neck and bridge to get superlow action - the fretless buzz was so great, that I put tapewounds on to calm it down!
For me the front pup can 'slam' just as hard as my 76 P, but thats not to detract from the difference the EMGs can make by comparison.
Note for those interested in the recent series JB4 fretless versions - they all have very high actions! I did have to shave the bridge a reasonable amount to get the action super-low. Neck is great, as you say.
The finish on mine is 'modern' thin satin, beautiful feel, no problems:

GLWTS!
I see..............basses!

TAL

Post by TAL » 04 May 2018, 14:06

Brisvegas people are most welcome to come and test out this beast. Cheers

slave

Post by slave » 04 May 2018, 21:31

Nice finish on that bass!

bass-in-yoface

Post by bass-in-yoface » 09 May 2018, 16:18

Any ideas on the weight of the instrument?
thanks
'72 USA J, 70's Fender P/J, USA Fender P/J, MM Sterling, MM StingrayV, Dolfin 3/4 DB, GK 800RB, Mesa Boogie 2x10's, Bergantino 12's and Euphonic Audio iAmp.

TAL

Post by TAL » 09 May 2018, 17:41

Okay bathroom scales says 3.9kg. Thought it felt lighter then my other basses

TAL

Post by TAL » 09 May 2018, 17:52

Did a quick raw video demo through the camera you can find it here. Should have got the levels a little better as its a bit quiet.
Cheers

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7yTnLpHba44" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 12 May 2018, 22:36

Nice bass. It actually looks better in the video than it does in the photo's. Definitely a classic with a twist :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

TAL

Post by TAL » 17 May 2018, 12:43

Yes it has a couple of iridescant skulls that pop up on the front of the bass if you hold it in the right light. Most of the time you dont see them through the metallic blue burst. A nice modern touch.