Latest Builds

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
drbass

Re: Latest Builds

Post by drbass » 22 Jun 2018, 20:02

Looked fantabulous in real life, Blaine!

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 27 Jun 2018, 17:34

Poplar burl looks fantastic!!

basshack

Post by basshack » 29 Jun 2018, 15:23

Bit more done in the shop this week.

Good to see Michael in the shop today with "project rescue bass". Yes it's not going to be as he wanted but it's going to be just fine when it's done. A few ideas on how to make it better were thrown around and it'll be interesting to see what he does.

So this week's effort.

Lots of scraping and sanding, I mean lots of scraping and sanding. It's all very well filling those burl holes up but taking it off is a totally different matter. Every time I think I have filled all the holes I find another pin hole which means more filling and more scraping and more sanding. Good thing I like sanding...

20" radius cut into the two new builds necks, one of them will be a lined fretless so it got fret slots. The necks got their truss rods fitted and glued in as well as the winglets put on to make the headstock just a little wider. The poplar body got it's neck rout done. There was a problem with the template being 1.5mm too thin so that got reworked and the rout was set at the same dimensions as the double cut version. The double cuts neck slips snuggly into the poplar body and I think it looks fantastic. The headstock shapes were rough sanded and the veneers glued on.

Couple of pictures below.

><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

basshack

Post by basshack » 10 Jul 2018, 22:20

Bit more work in the shop tonight.

Bridges made for the two basses on the go and started shaping the neck for the 2nd one but there isn't really anything to see at this stage you haven't all seen before.

String through bodies with ferrels in the back eventually.

basshack

Post by basshack » 12 Jul 2018, 22:06

Another night in the shop and I have the 2nd neck shaped up and both now have the nut slots cut ready for the truss rod exposure and the nuts to go in.

The fretboard extension/thumb rest is longer on the spalted bass than the Walnut one. It was how the first was meant to be but well you know... design feature.

And the two girls together.

David has asked that I finish one or both of these for the Melbourne Guitar Show coming up in about a month.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 13 Jul 2018, 14:52

Yeah, both of these are looking great. I can see why David is encouraging you to have them ready for the show. Very nice indeed :cool:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

drbass

Post by drbass » 13 Jul 2018, 14:58

Good stuff, Blaine,

And as usual everything looks better in real life.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

basshack

Post by basshack » 13 Jul 2018, 19:11

Thanks guys,

Big day in the shop today. Routed the control cavity in the Poplar body and got convinced to use the Poplar for the cover so made that and put more glue and sanding dust in more holes. FOR THE LAST TIME!! Maybe.

Made the truss rod access channels for both necks and their matching covers. Craig, one of the advanced guys in the shop, has been working on a "machine" to hold a router and allow it to follow a contour, like a forearm cut, with a bit to put binding channels in. You can buy these things commercially but you can make them easily enough so he did! We completed it today so the walnut body got its top binding glued on. Next Tuesday its more scraping and sanding on that body and into the paint shop probably.

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 13 Jul 2018, 21:42

Fantastic looking bridges... got to be happy with how they are coming along