Excise Ememption On Solid Body US Built Bass Importation

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
veebass

Excise Ememption On Solid Body US Built Bass Importation

Post by veebass » 07 Jan 2018, 13:56

My understanding is that there are exemptions available from the 5% excise charged on items entering the country valued at over $AU 1K. There are exemptions for solid body basses and US built basses.

I am considering buying and importing a second hand relatively expensive US built sold body bass from a good seller in Japan.

I missed out on the exemption in the past because I didn't do it right up front. I am keen not to mess this up again. Can someone please tell me exactly what I need to get the exporter in Japan to do so I get the exemption from the 5% excise, please?

Are there specific forms he needs to fill in and are these specific codes he needs to quote? I seem to recall this was the problem I ran into.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Aussie Mark

Re: Excise Ememption On Solid Body US Built Bass Importation

Post by Aussie Mark » 07 Jan 2018, 14:13

The Tariff Concession Order that you need to quote is here ... https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Tariffcl ... n=92079000

You really have two options - describe the shipment as a "solid body electric bass guitar" and quote the TCO number in that link. Or, simply indicate that the country of origin/manufacture is the USA. Either option will get you exemption from the 5% import duty.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

veebass

Re: Excise Ememption On Solid Body US Built Bass Importation

Post by veebass » 07 Jan 2018, 18:01

Aussie Mark wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 14:13
The Tariff Concession Order that you need to quote is here ... https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Tariffcl ... n=92079000

You really have two options - describe the shipment as a "solid body electric bass guitar" and quote the TCO number in that link. Or, simply indicate that the country of origin/manufacture is the USA. Either option will get you exemption from the 5% import duty.
So there is no specific form the seller needs to use? They simply need to say It;'s a US built solid body bass and quote the TCO in the description of the item?
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.