Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
RedVee

Re: Future Builds - Kinda Not Random

Post by RedVee » 04 Jul 2018, 20:23

Honey Jumbles were a treat when I was a kid. Glad, surprised, that they have survived.

I think the car museum is near Hahndorf if that is of interest.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

drbass

Post by drbass » 07 Jul 2018, 16:43

Had a great trip. LOVE that car - zoom zoom.

Quick visit to the workshop earlier today mostly to discuss strategy for the Kermit Reject but also had a chance to look at the Special Q. David was able to spray two coats of sealer, and it looks rather nice.

Neck and close-up of fretboard:

Front and back of the body:

I always freak out when I see the paint stick: "WTF is wrong with that neck?" ;)

This one's definitely going to be ready for the Melbourne Guitar Show as a "Sold - Look but don't touch" exhibit, and then I'm planning to do another road trip (to Sydney) to deliver and demo some other models at the same time.

I'll try very hard to get the Kermit Reject finished as well (would have been no problem had I not screwed up royally).

Looking ahead.
Plan is to make a few necks (neck-through - I really enjoy doing those although it is SOOOO much more work):
- maple and wenge 5-piece with a somewhat more subdued wenge board for the Kermit Reject replacement (amboyna burl top);
- maple and walnut 5-piece; not sure what board yet, there's another wenge one, and also koa, zebrano or birdseye maple;
- maple and purpleheart 5-piece, most likely with birdseye maple board (fretless?);
- and a normal neck, also 5-piece but probably maple only, for a project involving Bruce's EMG 40HZ pickups and some new-to-me processed timber (very light) in a Q body.

Who knows what will happen at the Guitar Show though - I might be doing some other stuff instead. Either way, I'll keep myself busy.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

packrat

Post by packrat » 07 Jul 2018, 18:27

That Q is looking great. What's the processed timber?

drbass

Post by drbass » 07 Jul 2018, 21:01

packrat wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 18:27
That Q is looking great. What's the processed timber?
Turned out real nice - can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

The timber is Accoya which is acetylated radiate pine. It is fairly light (very light, actually) and (according to the blurb on the accoya.com web site) is very stable (both in terms of resistance to decay as well as dimensional stability).

I'll try this with a body first, am thinking about doing a neck with it as well (dimensional stability sounds exactly what a neck needs).

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

packrat

Post by packrat » 07 Jul 2018, 21:06

Well, there's prior art with acoustics, but they're quite a differnet ballpark to a bass neck.

https://www.accoya.com/news-events/news ... in-the-uk/

B>

drbass

Post by drbass » 08 Jul 2018, 13:03

packrat wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 21:06
Well, there's prior art with acoustics, but they're quite a differnet ballpark to a bass neck.

https://www.accoya.com/news-events/news ... in-the-uk/

B>
Yep, been used before. Will definitely work for the body (might even be too light), and I don’t see why a 5-piece laminate neck wouldn’t be possible. Hopefully I’ll know by the end of this year.

The Kermit Reject is currently 2.5 kg, and I expect it to end up around the 3.7 kg mark, all using traditional timbers. Should be able to break the 3 kg mark with the accoya (for a 5 string). Sandberg will release a sub-3 kg bass at some stage (Holger showed a prototype in a recent interview) made of cedar (body) and European maple for the neck.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 08 Jul 2018, 17:53

Prefer the normal flat space between the pickups? Or are you more the ramp type? Well, now you can have both:

or

OK, it sort of works. Not exactly the best fit (that's on me and the somewhat oversized pickup routing template - that'll teach me, next time I'll go back to making my own), and there's now a big block of rather dark stuff. Might have to put a third pickup in after all ;) - no.

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 08 Jul 2018, 21:23

Nice work on that ramp Michael :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

Curto

Post by Curto » 10 Jul 2018, 16:25

The Polaris symbol is a nice touch.
Custom 32

basshack

Post by basshack » 10 Jul 2018, 22:28

I had a thought the other day that you should look at mechanically actuating the ramp so that it comes up or down depending on what the user wants at the time. Sometimes you want to dig in a little so it'd get in the way. So... push down on it and the ramp is held below the pup heights and then push down on it again and the latches release and up it comes. How cool would that be?
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 13 Jul 2018, 15:15

Actuation? No, Blaine, no.

OK, a little workshop time today. Good to catch up with Blaine and get things done quickly since the workshop filled up very quickly. And hey, Drew is back for a quick build :D .

Unfortunately no progress on the Special Q - David's been too busy with preparations for the Show that he just hasn't had time to do any spraying.

I fretted the Kermit Reject today, nice and easy. Wenge is great, frets go in easy-is but appear to have massive grip. Actually fun to do, and took way less than one hour.

Also had time to prepare some items for "replaceable ramp v 2.0". V 1.0 fit well but was too narrow, and the gap between the ramp/insert and the pickups was way too large (I based the initial measurements on the commercially acquired routing template which is super-generous). Here's the stuff:

I'm using the accoya as the base this time. Funky stuff. Smells like vinegar (thanks to the acetylation process which uses concentrated acetic acid), is super-easy to work with but fairly soft so I'm re-thinking using it for a neck (not given up, 5 piece laminate with walnut or wenge might work).

And I made a final decision on what to do with the crack. Nothing. Staying true to my "full disclosure" approach it will remind me to be more careful in the future and show everyone that shit happens. In the spirit of that I applied the first coat of the Osmo finish I'm using (instead of getting the very busy David spray some dark burst to hide the crack using nitro).
And you know what? I love how that walnut just goes to a completely different place. The piece for this build is a fair bit darker than the Kermit Funkmachine but that works perfectly with the wenge and gives an amazing contrast with the (quilted) maple which which goes a little yellow (antique-ish). Pix:

As expected the fretboard is a fair bit less in-your-face but that only adds to the overall result.

I expect a total of 5 applications, each with a gentle rub-down with 0000 steel wool in between to get that satin sheen and feel.

While I'm definitely not happy that things happened with this build that shouldn't have I am somewhat happy that I get to keep this first neck-through :D .

Regards,
Michael
Last edited by drbass on 13 Jul 2018, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 13 Jul 2018, 15:48

Ok geez that walnut... :drool:
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, MusicMan, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 13 Jul 2018, 16:32