Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
veebass

Re: Political Coverage By the Media in Our Country - PART TWO

Post by veebass » 10 Apr 2018, 09:01

Aussie Mark wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 08:48
veebass wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 07:05
The next election will be closer than people think, if the two current leaders remain in place. The Libs would be no chance with anyone other than Turnbull. Labor would be unbackable with anyone other than Shorten.
If Labor are smart they will stick to their guns between now and just before the campaign starts, and then Shorten could announce that he is "retiring for family reasons" and won't be standing at the election. Then he can hand over the reins to Tanya Plibersek to lead the election campaign, and she would get them over the line I believe. Albo could win it for them as well, but I think Plibersek would be a more long term populist option.
The process to replace an ALP leader is cumbersome.
I think it could be difficult to make all the ballots etc happen in a "snap fashion" unless there was only one person nominate.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 10 Apr 2018, 09:03

Aussie Mark wrote:

If Labor are smart they will stick to their guns between now and just before the campaign starts, and then Shorten could announce that he is "retiring for family reasons" and won't be standing at the election. Then he can hand over the reins to Tanya Plibersek to lead the election campaign, and she would get them over the line I believe. Albo could win it for them as well, but I think Plibersek would be a more long term populist option.
Tanya has a problem though. The inevitable unfavorable "look what happened last time we had a female" headlines. The media will run with it, and people will vote for whoever the media tells them to vote for.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

veebass

Post by veebass » 10 Apr 2018, 09:08

Petebass wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 09:03
Aussie Mark wrote:

Tanya has a problem though. The inevitable unfavorable "look what happened last time we had a female" headlines. The media will run with it, and people will vote for whoever the media tells them to vote for.
I know what you are saying, Pete, but that is a pretty sick sort of headline (not saying it is your opinion at all) and probably says a lot about some Australians.
Fear of " Look at what happened the last time we had a male right wing lunatic", won't stop the Libs picking Dutton if they think it gives them the best chance to keep those snouts in the trough.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 10 Apr 2018, 09:18

veebass wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 09:01
I think it could be difficult to make all the ballots etc happen in a "snap fashion" unless there was only one person nominate.
Can't they just call a stop work meeting and have a show of hands?

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

veebass

Post by veebass » 10 Apr 2018, 09:34

Aussie Mark wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 09:18
veebass wrote:
LOL- full membership and federal caucus votes. I think the caucus vote carries greater weight than the membership one, I recall that is how Shorten beat Albo. I suspect they wouldn't have to vote if there was only one nomination.

The Liberal way is better, it is who brings/ makes the biggest donations.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 10 Apr 2018, 10:48

veebass wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 09:08
Petebass wrote:
Aussie Mark wrote:

I know what you are saying, Pete, but that is a pretty sick sort of headline (not saying it is your opinion at all) and probably says a lot about some Australians.
Fear of " Look at what happened the last time we had a male right wing lunatic", won't stop the Libs picking Dutton if they think it gives them the best chance to keep those snouts in the trough.
The thing is, the media won't even have to try that hard. It's really easy think of Abbott as that guy who was a crap PM and forget that he was actually very good at landing punches as an opposition leader. I said at the time he was too dumb to see the long term damage he was causing from opposition, and his attacks on Julia for being a woman will cause ripples for decades IMO.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

veebass

Post by veebass » 10 Apr 2018, 11:04

Plenty of talk about Malcolm's 30 consecutive losing Newspolls.

Some of it suggesting that the Coalition has actually only won one Newpoll in the last 61 or 122 weeks. Not true.
Their record is abysmal but one out of 61 is not true. It was not Abbott losing 30, one in front and then 30 Turnbull losing.

The other point is they do not run Newspolls every fortnight- so you can't simply multiply the number of Newspolls by 2 to give the number of weeks involved. Abbott's 30 consecutive ran 2013- 2015 until Turnbull, Morrison and Bishop knifed him in September, 2015. Then Turnbull lead until Feb 2016, when his high level of support collapsed. There was then a period where Labor lead from March, 2016 except for a couple of polls around election time when Turnbull got his nose in front. Labor has lead consistently since October 2016, virtually the whole term of Turnbull's current government. The 30th, as you know has just come up. You need to look at the Two Party Preferred and the Archive.

The way I count it, the Coalition has only won 9 of the last 76 Newspolls (since about June 2013).
Their record is actually 9 winning polls in almost 5 years. Two of those were at the time of the last election and the rest were during the Turnbull initial honeymoon.

By anyone's measure, the last two Coalition Governments have been deeply unpopular, particularly given they have faced a consistently unpopular Opposition Leader- his highest approval was about 45 at the peak of Abbott's troubles and dropped to 15% at the peak of the Turnbull euphoria. For the most part Shorten has lived with about 30% since March, 2016..

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation ... s/newspoll

veebass

Post by veebass » 10 Apr 2018, 11:06

Petebass wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 10:48
veebass wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 09:08
Petebass wrote:

The thing is, the media won't even have to try that hard. It's really easy think of Abbott as that guy who was a crap PM and forget that he was actually very good at landing punches as an opposition leader. I said at the time he was too dumb to see the long term damage he was causing from opposition, and his attacks on Julia for being a woman will cause ripples for decades IMO.
I think you are right, unfortunately many Australians are sexist, whether they realise it or not. Abbott played that like a fiddle, the way Dutton plays to the racists.

veebass

Post by veebass » 11 Apr 2018, 08:46

Not just "normal" jobs for the boys. This is a Turnbull government special.

This one involves a plum job for a sacked Minister. The reason he was sacked? Publicly running down Australia's military ship builder. Yes, he is the one who said he wouldn't trust them to build a canoe. What is the plum job? Selling Australia's military hardware to the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... are_btn_tw

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 13 Apr 2018, 11:16

Aussie Mark wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 09:18
veebass wrote:
The liberal party prefer that the wage-slaves just shut the hell up and forget about civil rights.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... il-society

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 13 Apr 2018, 12:06

Tanya is our best politician by far. The most intelligent, and the one with the most empathy for those worse off. But they will find some dirt on her when she gets close to the top I'm afraid. Males will fight back hard.
Shorten is a dead man walking, he can't win an election.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 13 Apr 2018, 13:57

BazzBass wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 12:06
I agree, I'm wondering if the dividend goes to the minor parties

veebass

Post by veebass » 14 Apr 2018, 18:54

BazzBass wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 12:06
Tanya is our best politician by far. The most intelligent, and the one with the most empathy for those worse off. But they will find some dirt on her when she gets close to the top I'm afraid. Males will fight back hard.
Yes, they will bring up her partner's past.

veebass

Post by veebass » 14 Apr 2018, 19:23

Here we go. As predicted privatisation of Centrelink and Medicare. Trash the brand first- check.

Here's an idea to save money, Malcolm. Don't cut taxes to the ultra big companies (that do pay tax).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/australia- ... 1454991351

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 14 Apr 2018, 21:50

veebass wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 19:23
Here we go. As predicted privatisation of Centrelink and Medicare. Trash the brand first- check.

Here's an idea to save money, Malcolm. Don't cut taxes to the ultra big companies (that do pay tax).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/australia- ... 1454991351
So upsetting how much damage the liberal party consistently do to broader society as the funnel the money upwards.