Maton JB4 Lives Again! (The Proof Is Here)

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
j4ck

Re: Maton JB4 Lives Again! (The Proof Is Here)

Post by j4ck » 04 Mar 2011, 15:16

Disappointing news.
Mayones Comodous Classic 5
Fender American Deluxe Jazz 4
Spector Legend Custom 4

Check out my band: HighView

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 04 Mar 2011, 21:52

TheBottomLine wrote:I would love an old JB4
I played the new one about a month ago and wouldn't bother getting one , even with a good setup they are not half as good as they were back in the day IMO.
What are your objections? I'm half tempted to save up for a fretted one to match my old fretless (but that's probably just a pipe dream).
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 04 Mar 2011, 21:59

There is/was a fretless original JB4 in a 2nd hand dealer near me when I was tossing up whether I was going to mod my MIJ Fender J fretless - the JB4 was beat to hell, the set up made it a dog to play, there was massive volume imbalances between the 2 Pups and the guy want just short of $3k for it!!! It still had the original white dimarzios in it as well. i wonder what he wants for it now...probably doesn't even know there is a reissue.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

TheBottomLine

Post by TheBottomLine » 04 Mar 2011, 23:07

jezzamac wrote:
TheBottomLine wrote:I would love an old JB4
I played the new one about a month ago and wouldn't bother getting one , even with a good setup they are not half as good as they were back in the day IMO.
What are your objections? I'm half tempted to save up for a fretted one to match my old fretless (but that's probably just a pipe dream).
well besides the feel and build not being as good as the old ones the J pickup was very weak and killed by the P , the P was good but the J was useless I don't think it was a setup/hight issue maybe the position of the pickup itself ?
This was the same bass that came to Melbourne for the music trade show so you would think it would have been as good as they will get.
My old mongrel bitsa P J kills it and the old JB4's are twice as good.
Try one out and let your hands and ears be the judge.
https://www.facebook.com/RevMoFo?pc=p&__user=0
Amps :Mesa,Fender,Hartke /Cabs: Mesa , SWR ,Schroeder & Ashdown
Basses , passive 4's strung with flats
active 5 strings strung with roundwounds
( who would have thunk that )

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 05 Mar 2011, 07:35

TheBottomLine wrote:the old JB4's are twice as good
That's all I need to hear. Mine does play marvellously well, despite the white pickup covers :p

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

bsod

Post by bsod » 07 Mar 2011, 00:37

Well I'll add my 2c worth. I just picked up a pair of JB4's (fretless and fretted) from The Bascentre in Melb. I couldn't be happier with them. Apart from looks, the fretless plays just as well as my old MGB4. Sound wise it's a harder call due to strings and pickups, the MGB4 doesn't have Dimarzio's and it also has flats on it whilst the JB4's came with roundwounds. On my JB4's the pickups seem well balanced and the jazz sounded fine to me. I think this is the point, it's going to be so subjective. I think "TheBottomLine" sums it up well

"Try one out and let your hands and ears be the judge."

It's the only way you'll know if the JB4 reissue is for you or not.

Craig

TheBottomLine

Post by TheBottomLine » 07 Mar 2011, 07:36

bsod wrote:Well I'll add my 2c worth. I just picked up a pair of JB4's (fretless and fretted) from The Bascentre in Melb. I couldn't be happier with them. Apart from looks, the fretless plays just as well as my old MGB4. Sound wise it's a harder call due to strings and pickups, the MGB4 doesn't have Dimarzio's and it also has flats on it whilst the JB4's came with roundwounds. On my JB4's the pickups seem well balanced and the jazz sounded fine to me. I think this is the point, it's going to be so subjective. I think "TheBottomLine" sums it up well

Craig
congrats on your basses and welcome to OBF
I love the old JB4's and have also played the MGB4
maybe the bass I tried was a dud so I will try out one of the production models this week and post again.

bsod

Post by bsod » 07 Mar 2011, 10:39

Hi all,

I should point out I've never had a JB4 before so I can't give any personal comparisions to the circa 80s JB4s, I only have the MGB as a comparison and until I get some flats on them, I can't really compare them soundwise.

Initial observations, the body is not overly heavy, and seems well balanced. The neck has a nice feel to it. Controls are easy and straight forward, three way switch for neck, bridge or both pickups with a V V T pot arrangment. Nice and simple. The bridge appears to be a Hipshot A style bridge and not a BadAss/BadAss2 as others have said, unless I am mistaken, but it sure looks like a Hipshot too me. Happy to be corrected though.

I also lashed out and bought a additional Maton case for the MGB. What was a tad surprising is that these JB4s are a little longer overall than the MGB. I just assumed they would be the same length overall. Not sure if this was the case with the original JB4s. I'll post some pics if there is sufficient interest.

Anyway I'm enjoying them, and that's all that matters! If others find the same that's ok and if others don't that's ok too. It would be a boring old world if we all played the same bass :)

Craig

CamZH

Post by CamZH » 07 Mar 2011, 10:51

bsod wrote:The bridge appears to be a Hipshot A style bridge and not a BadAss/BadAss2 as others have said, unless I am mistaken, but it sure looks like a Hipshot too me. Happy to be corrected though.
From the pics it looks like a Hipshot to me too.
Sure doesnt look like a Badass that i recognise.
Troll lol loling along

paul Vickery

Post by paul Vickery » 12 Mar 2011, 16:07

I've had from from brand new great bass done hundreds of gigs I'd love to buy a new one and retire the oldie anyone know how much they are?
Paul from WA

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 12 Mar 2011, 16:45

Hi Paul and welcome to OBF.. The street price is around $1700...

paul Vickery

Post by paul Vickery » 13 Mar 2011, 10:05

Thanks NotTheFish........ Not bad considering I paid $1300 back in 1984 for mine.

TheBottomLine

Post by TheBottomLine » 07 Apr 2011, 06:05

TheBottomLine wrote:
bsod wrote:Well I'll add my 2c worth. I just picked up a pair of JB4's (fretless and fretted) from The Bascentre in Melb. I couldn't be happier with them. Apart from looks, the fretless plays just as well as my old MGB4. Sound wise it's a harder call due to strings and pickups, the MGB4 doesn't have Dimarzio's and it also has flats on it whilst the JB4's came with roundwounds. On my JB4's the pickups seem well balanced and the jazz sounded fine to me. I think this is the point, it's going to be so subjective. I think "TheBottomLine" sums it up well

Craig
congrats on your basses and welcome to OBF
I love the old JB4's and have also played the MGB4
maybe the bass I tried was a dud so I will try out one of the production models this week and post again.
O K then , better late than never !
I tried out a new JB4 Fretless yesterday and I'm happy to say that it was dang good , no issues with the J pickup like the first one ( prototype ) that I tried out last time.
IMO the build is still not as good as the old JB4's but they are a good bass and well worth trying out.

bsod

Post by bsod » 07 Apr 2011, 11:08

HI The BottomLine,

nice to hear your last encounter with the JB4 reissue was better than your previous experience. After playing the basses more extensively I am loving them. Yet to put some flats on them yet, sort of getting used to the brightness of the rounds now. Not having owned or played one of the older JB4's I can't comment on build quality comparisions, but I have no issue with the build quality at all. It just feels nice and balanced, and unlike my very first bass (which I no longer have, more the pitty) , a really old Maton Tele bass which seemed to way a tonne, I find these a lot more comfortable. If I have one beef with the basses it would be the finish, I do perfer the walnut/natural finishes the circa 80s JB4's had. I don't dislike the current finish, just prefer the 80s style over it. I also like it's simplicity, it's just a nice straight forward bass, doesn't try to be fancy. I realise this won't appeal to some people, tastes vary, but I like it for it's simplicity.

On a closing note, (no pun intended) it would sure be nice if Maton actually advertised the JB4 on their website. They don't even have a entry for it under their products listings, just a small piece on it on the main page with a link to this thread. Not exactly endorising their own product. Very odd.

Anyway enough said, everyone, enjoy your basses whatever they may be. :)

Craig

paulie

Post by paulie » 07 Apr 2011, 18:30

well, I saw two today at my local music store, a fretted and a fretless. Didn't have time to play, but they look way better than I thought from seeing pics on the 'net. Deep, rich brown, great headstock, gorgeous fingerboard. Will have to go back for a play. But seeing as how I'm going to have to sneak grumpydog666's old G&L Tribute in the door, don't think I'll be splashing the cash. But was good to finally see one after all the internet banter.

paulie
Fender PBass Special/Squier VM Fretless
/Eden WT330/D212XLT4