Introduce Yourself

Announcements, Introductions, Forum Support and Questions
Satanstoenail

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Satanstoenail » 26 Jun 2018, 23:57

Howdy, my name's Brad, been lurking mainly in the 'basses for sale' section for a while, thought I should finally say hello.

I'm a 'lapsed' player I guess you could say, played in bands constantly for years, then dribs and drabs for a while, then nothing for years. Always kept my gear and fanged about in the lounge room here and there. Started playing in a band again in September last year playing original punk/hardcore/rock & roll stuff and am loving the hell out of it. Previously I've played metal, heavy rock, groove, funk and got right into jazz fusion for a while there (but never studied to be good enough to play it properly).

I've got two Melbourne made "Jaco" 5 string customs (one fretted & one fretless) which I bought directly off Igor, the luthier, when they were made in about 96-97. Used them heaps when I was gigging back in the day and now they sit in their cases most of the time these days. I bought a Fender Road Worn Jazz about 5 years ago because I'd always wanted an old Jazz and wanted to get back into playing. I thought it was the next best thing without the ridiculous price tag, but of course ever since I got it I've been yearning for a real one. It is a really nice bass though. Bought a mid-seventies Greco last year to further scratch my itch.

Rig is my old battle-scarred Hartke HA3500 and Eden 410XLT. I used to stack it with my old EV 15" cab but haven't needed to since playing in the current band. I'm also using a Bass Bigmuff for some extra crunch.

I've never really been a 'techy' bass player exploring different gear and pedals and pickups and so forth, but I'm interested in getting some advice on a few things here and you lot seem like a decent pool of knowledge. Hopefully I can contribute a bit also.
Cheers

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 27 Jun 2018, 02:09

Welcome Brad :)

Doesn't hurt to post pics of your gear around here, we are all pervs

EDIT: BASS gear, BASS gear
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Satanstoenail

Post by Satanstoenail » 27 Jun 2018, 08:03

BazzBass wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 02:09

Haha thanks. I’ll try to work out how to embed photos here and put some up. I haven’t used photobucket since they changed their settings.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 27 Jun 2018, 14:03

Satanstoenail wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 08:03
BazzBass wrote:

Haha thanks. I’ll try to work out how to embed photos here and put some up. I haven’t used photobucket since they changed their settings.
Welcome Brad. Always happy to see photos, past or present. This link will show you how to embed photos.

http://ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22466
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

RandM

Post by RandM » 28 Jun 2018, 10:06

Hi people -
names Maurie, 'bout time I introduced myself and got more involved here : )

A bit about me - Northern Beaches born and bred(Manly) apparently I started singing pretty early to the radio ( no TV back then kids ) so at around 5 or 6 they stuck me in a Choir, I remember singing at Sydney Town Hall with some School Choral thingy at about 7 y/o - my brothers took me to see J.O'K at Brookvale Oval when I was 7 too (kind of settled my direction that did), first guitar was my 10 y/o birthday prezzy with 6 lessons to show me the basic chords - ended up as the only lessons I got as guitar teachers were like Rocking Horse s¥*t back in '63.

High School band in the late '60's - started gigging early/mid '70's on the Northern Beaches > mid '80's (Rams - not that I think anyone would remember) when the Fall in Love, Mortgage/Kids thing happened and full time became part time.
Moved to Melb. Mornington Peninsula early 90's (affordable housing)
and got back to playing more seriously again in the late 90's when
a band asked me to write some bass lines to a bunch of oringinals.

That band gigged around a few years also doing a few Franksnistan
guitar Festivals but everyones family commitments hamstrung it, but it confirmed my love for the low end and I have'nt picked up a guitar for years.

I was always too broke or too busy playing to learn much theory, now at 65 I'd like to move to Fretless and spend time in the shed actually learning about what I'm doing : )
Love to gig again if I get a chance - though the tinnitus will make me lean to the " quieter side " of the music spectrum now.

Cheers Maurie.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 28 Jun 2018, 12:35

Hi Maurie and welcome. Yeah I have bad tinnitus too. Good news is there are great ear plugs these days that at least won't worsen our hearing. Not too expensive either.
Glad you finally saw the light and moved to bass, better late than never. What are you playing at the moment gear wise?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Satanstoenail

Post by Satanstoenail » 28 Jun 2018, 13:50

BassLine wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 14:03
Satanstoenail wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 08:03
BazzBass wrote:

Welcome Brad. Always happy to see photos, past or present. This link will show you how to embed photos.

http://ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22466
Thanks mate, yep had a look at that already but not sure if I wanna hotlink from social media or other forums, might join Flickr or something.

Satanstoenail

Post by Satanstoenail » 28 Jun 2018, 18:33

Hey I tried on my old photobucket and they seem to work.. let me know if you can't see them

RandM

Post by RandM » 28 Jun 2018, 22:52

BazzBass wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 12:35
Hi Maurie and welcome. Yeah I have bad tinnitus too. Good news is there are great ear plugs these days that at least won't worsen our hearing. Not too expensive either.
Glad you finally saw the light and moved to bass, better late than never. What are you playing at the moment gear wise?
Thanks Bazz,
'05 Fender Jazz D'lxe 5, Eden WT550 > 212XLT>210XST, both 4ohm.
That will change piece by piece as I "reconfiger for age" !

Cheers Maurie