Record with flats, gig with rounds?

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
BazzBass

Record with flats, gig with rounds?

Post by BazzBass » 16 May 2018, 14:39

After trying flats for the first time, I put Chromes on my MIA P and my Jazz bass. Sound great at home thru my pedals and into my Yammy monitors. Live they sounded OK but not crisp enough to really carry the room.
I took my El Cheapo SX Jazz with Roto rounds to our last gig at the Exeter Sat night and people said it was the best my bass sounded.
And then it hit me. Rounds carry their mid punch thru a crowd better than flats ever will.
I think I've read it before but only just realised it myself:

Record with flats for smooth fat tone without finger noise etc.

Play live with rounds for a bit of grindy clank and trebley bite to carry the 'crowd" .

Anyone else come to this conclusion?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

jimmy_effected

Re: Record with flats, gig with rounds?

Post by jimmy_effected » 16 May 2018, 21:31

Not yet - I've never played flats!

...I know, I should probably have my OzBass membership rescinded or something...

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 16 May 2018, 22:33

My experience is sort of the opposite. I gig with flats and record (very limited experience here) with rounds. IME I find that flats usually sounds just OK when I practice BUT really cuts through during live shows especially when competing with my 2 loud guitarist, after saying this IMO genre will always dictate what you use though.
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Basses: LEJ 5/24
Head: Glockenklang Blue Soul/ Cab: Schroeder 1212
Combo: Hartke Kickback KB12

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 16 May 2018, 23:59

BazzBass wrote:
16 May 2018, 14:39
After trying flats for the first time, I put Chromes on my MIA P and my Jazz bass. Sound great at home thru my pedals and into my Yammy monitors. Live they sounded OK but not crisp enough to really carry the room.
I took my El Cheapo SX Jazz with Roto rounds to our last gig at the Exeter Sat night and people said it was the best my bass sounded.
And then it hit me. Rounds carry their mid punch thru a crowd better than flats ever will.
I think I've read it before but only just realised it myself:

Record with flats for smooth fat tone without finger noise etc.

Play live with rounds for a bit of grindy clank and trebley bite to carry the 'crowd" .

Anyone else come to this conclusion?
That’s exactly what Cliff Williams did; he always gigged with rounds, but any of AC/DC’s albums with him on it is all Flatwounds.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 17 May 2018, 07:01

I think the revelation here is that what you do live and what you do in the studio should always be treated as two different things.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

drbass

Post by drbass » 17 May 2018, 07:40

All rounds for me but I have to admit that I’ve mellowed from stainless to nickels.

Regards,
Michael
Last edited by drbass on 17 May 2018, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 17 May 2018, 07:46

I'm opposite also, I find flats are lotsa mid punch, and they really cut thru.
Horses.... etc
Mean & Surly

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 17 May 2018, 08:35

Re the OP, Ummm, no. Yes studio is different, but I think flats can work most places.

I think it depends who you're playing with. Personally, I found flats to be more than audible. But then if you're competing against a Marshall on 11 and Mr Universe playing drums, you're always gonna struggle. The band I was using flats in most recently knew how to give each other space in terms of notes and frequency. I'd be playing with the mids on your EQ as Pete and others have suggested.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

grooveinsyd

Post by grooveinsyd » 17 May 2018, 09:31

Petebass wrote:
17 May 2018, 07:01
I think the revelation here is that what you do live and what you do in the studio should always be treated as two different things.
+1, For either recording or live, I'd like choose flats or rounds accordingly, that's why I have couple of cheap Suiqers with flats on them. ;)
Sandberg VM Nighthawk; Stingray HH SLO; Dingwall ABZ;
Squier PJ w/Dimarzios & Flats; Fender Am STD JAZZ; G&L USA L2K

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 17 May 2018, 10:32

I changed to flats about 8 years ago and have not looked back. I get compliments on the sound of my bass (not the playing) every time I play a gig.
Other bass players and other musos are often the ones complimenting the sound. But I don't know if it is the strings, the bass, the amp head, the box I choose to take or just all the stars aligning with a combination of all of them. I find the rounds too noisy for my style of playing (if you could call it that), I'm not a fan of hearing the strings unintentionally clicking against the fretboard, fretted or not, or the finger movement sound on the roundwound strings.
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 17 May 2018, 11:48

Petebass wrote:
17 May 2018, 07:01
Yeah, this for me ^^

Took me too many years to work out that just because I did something a certain way when tracking didn't mean I had to keep doing it that way live. Whatever works and works well is best

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 17 May 2018, 12:42

lots of wise advice here. I am really stuck at the moment, totally confused as to which I prefer, flats or rounds. So I guess the answer is that I swing both ways hehe
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 17 May 2018, 13:33

BazzBass wrote:
17 May 2018, 12:42
lots of wise advice here. I am really stuck at the moment, totally confused as to which I prefer, flats or rounds. So I guess the answer is that I swing both ways hehe
Well it's quite a generalisation but IMO it's a lot easier to eq rounds to sound like flats than the other way around. Fairly dead nickel rounds will get a fair way there. But not all the way hehehehe :)
Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 17 May 2018, 20:10

bigswifty wrote:
17 May 2018, 13:33
BazzBass wrote:
17 May 2018, 12:42
Well it's quite a generalisation but IMO it's a lot easier to eq rounds to sound like flats than the other way around. Fairly dead nickel rounds will get a fair way there. But not all the way hehehehe :)
Mike
Dead nickels all the way, best of both when you can’t have one of each.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list

slave

Post by slave » 17 May 2018, 20:41

rodl2005 wrote:
17 May 2018, 07:46
I'm opposite also, I find flats are lotsa mid punch, and they really cut thru.
^^^^
This for me too.