WTB: phil Jones BigHead

Forum rules
Before you post on this forum read the Forum Rules in the first stickied thread. Failure to do so can result in your threads or posts to be deleted without notice.

Bumping Etiquette: You can bump your sale thread only once every 3 days. You may however add additional information to your thread or keep a discussion going when you wish.

Classifieds are now a "Supporting Member" only section. This means threads can now only be started by Supporting Members. To become a supporting member click on Paypal Donate button at the bottom of this page.

WARNING: Ozbassforum.com and its staff take no responsibilites whatsoever for any transactions that occur in this forum. Use at your own risk.
Classic5

WTB: phil Jones BigHead

Post by Classic5 » 08 May 2018, 21:24

I missed out on the previous group buy from Thoman and am interested in buying one of these.

Is there anyone in Ozbass land thinking of selling theirs?
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

drbass

Re: WTB: phil Jones BigHead

Post by drbass » 09 May 2018, 09:28

Classic5 wrote:
08 May 2018, 21:24
I missed out on the previous group buy from Thoman and am interested in buying one of these.

Good luck, Ivan,

Tough proposition. I'm not even remotely close to contemplating to maybe think about the possibility of perhaps moving mine on - it's become indispensable for practising at home thanks to its amazing clarity and ability to connect external music sources via the mini-jack.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 09 May 2018, 11:23

drbass wrote:
09 May 2018, 09:28
Classic5 wrote:

Good luck, Ivan,

Tough proposition. I'm not even remotely close to contemplating to maybe think about the possibility of perhaps moving mine on - it's become indispensable for practising at home thanks to its amazing clarity and ability to connect external music sources via the mini-jack.

Regards,
Michael
I take that as an emphatic NO. One can only try :cry

Soong

Post by Soong » 09 May 2018, 13:13

drbass wrote:
Classic5 wrote:

Good luck, Ivan,

Regards,
Michael
So...you're saying theres a chance? :p
Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

pjm

Post by pjm » 09 May 2018, 14:13

I want one too
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Epiphone, Ashdown, GK, Ampeg,

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 09 May 2018, 14:37

Cost effective point when I did the last order was three, looks like you have three people lined up to me... the more the better.
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic
Mesa Walkbout, O'Neill B15-100 (B15-N clone), MarkBass Classic 300, Fender Bassman Neo 115, Ampeg Repro B15E

pjm

Post by pjm » 09 May 2018, 14:44

narcdor wrote:
09 May 2018, 14:37
Cost effective point when I did the last order was three, looks like you have three people lined up to me... the more the better.
Lets do it!
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Epiphone, Ashdown, GK, Ampeg,

drbass

Post by drbass » 09 May 2018, 15:18

Soong wrote:
09 May 2018, 13:13
drbass wrote:
Classic5 wrote:

Good luck, Ivan,

Regards,
Michael
So...you're saying theres a chance? :p
Very optimistic interpretation of what I wrote ;) . I couldn't recommend this little unit high enough.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 09 May 2018, 20:17

Classic5 wrote:

I guess I have ears of stone, 'cause this is ozbass heresy.....

I had one of these for ages, and loved the sound of it, but I was surprised to find that for silent practising at home I'm just as happy with a cheap and cheerful Xenyx mixer which cost about half the price and I could get at most any music store. To me it sounded *edit* *almost as good* through all the headphones I've tried (from cheap generica through to higher end Audio Technica), offered a ton more flexibility, adjustment and control. I had one with the USB out and it recorded just fine (for my admittedly humble requirements). Additionally I find it handy sometimes to be able to pan my playing to one ear and the recording I'm trying to learn from slightly to the other. The drawback is that you need mains power of course.

Anyway, good luck with the search, and good luck to all who love their bigheads, perhaps I was just not worthy hehe :notworthy:

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 09 May 2018, 21:08

Ok......so my initial intention was to see if anyone here was selling one of these on the used market. Looks like that's not going to be the case.

Buying 3 units from Thoman will come to around $340 each, but may go to $375 depending on exchange rates and other possible on-costs of the tax variety.

I rang Eastgate music today and they could order them in for the special price of $350, but would require a $150 deposit (which seems a but steep for a deposit) and maybe 2 month wait. But we'd be supporting local business I guess.

So I'm just not sure right now and may hold off for the time being. Mike had a good point re a small mixer, plus I could find another use for it as well. So I need to think this over :hmm

For a bit over $100......not a bad idea Mike:

MrChameleon

Post by MrChameleon » 10 May 2018, 07:12

I'm with bigswifty.

I have an Alto ZMX52 mixer that is the same as the Xenyx. It cost me $59 on special from JB about a year ago.

It works well and is flexible. We use it to mix the vocals and (electronic) drums in our 3-piece band practises and I use it at home for silent, playalong practise.

I will confess that I am a cork-sniffing PJB fan and PJB cabinet owner.
Accumulating basses

Barney

Post by Barney » 10 May 2018, 09:36

I'm interested if the group buy works out better $ wise. Although the Q502 does the same job, when I travel having a headphone amp, ADC into a DAW and PJB charge from the laptop is perfect. Will Eastgate do a group buy?

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 10 May 2018, 10:03

I have both the PJB Bighead and a powered 4-channel mixer.

My mixer is permanently setup to my desk monitors and laptop, cable ready to plug and play. Mixer has switches to turn monitors on/off and headphones on/off which is SUPER handy. But I'm stuck to my bedroom/desk to operate it.

PJB has better sound quality, but not 'angels singing' difference that reviews imply. Main difference I've found is it's less fatiguing listening to it for long periods, as I find the mixer fatiguing if using it for more than 90 mins. I've done 8-10hr stints and barely any listening fatigue. I often practice in other rooms that are sunny or outside with the PJB.

My vote: buy both if you can. :yep
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 10 May 2018, 11:56

The PJB stuff does sound good. I stumbled across a Bass Buddy locally at a very good price and picked it up for silent practice. Prior to that I was using a Rolls PM351 which I retired from my IEM set up. The Bass Buddy is superior to the PM351, but the PM351 is a about 120 new on ebay. It is hard to spring for something 3-4 times the price. My Yamaha MG-06 mixer does a great job for silent practice also.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

Juan Lauda

Post by Juan Lauda » 10 May 2018, 15:19

The BigHead has become integral to my practice since I got it a few years ago. BassLine’s point about being less fatiguing to the ears nails it, and the way the headphone amp section brings external audio files to life is simply fantastic.
It’s on special at Bass Strings Online at the moment at $249.99 + postage here: http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Phil-J ... _3166.html which is a pretty sharp price.
Eleven. Exactly. One louder.