Online Studio Services/ReAmping

Space for non-sponsoring commercial users. Ads, announcements and promotions.
Forum rules
Threads Can Only Be Started By Supporting Members
benhill1982

Online Studio Services/ReAmping

Post by benhill1982 » 05 Jan 2018, 09:51

Hi all,
I've collected a bit of quality gear for my home studio over the last 12-18 months, and was thinking about how I could possibly make some of these sounds available to others who are writing/recording and searching for that specific tone. Pedal posting/lending is unlikely to be successful, so I thought about providing a reamping service if there was any interest, allowing others to access my library of pedals for recording or trialing purposes, and thanks to the digital age, it's never been simpler.

Things that I could offer as an online studio type service include:
- A large selection of good examples of common and also some reasonably difficult to find pedals for guitar and bass
- Reamping through a selection of preamps/tube amps/digital amps models (UAD)
- Drum programming - basic through to complex (thousands of kits to choose from)
- Additional studio services/mixing/instrument additions synths/keys/drums/horns/VSTs

I'd see it working as someone emailing me a direct instrument DI, which I can reamp through whatever is wanted, or look to match certain sounds (the mad scientist in me likes a challenge), add instruments/sounds/textures to request, and then email the track back in whichever format if preferred.

I thought I'd float the idea for feedback as to whether there's any interest.

Cheers, Ben
Last edited by benhill1982 on 09 Jul 2018, 19:07, edited 4 times in total.
Bass: Sandberg, Dingwall, Musicman
Rig: Ampeg SVT-VR, Bergantino NV610T & IP310
Pedals: Tym, Wren and Cuff, Strymon, Darkglass
Studio: Pro Tools, UAD, NI, Shure, AKG, Focusrite, Sleishman, DW, Sabian, Zildjian, Moog, Fender

BazzBass

Re: Online Studio Services

Post by BazzBass » 05 Jan 2018, 10:50

I've seen dumber ideas work :)

I like the re-amping scenario, and could imagine that working. Except there may be a lot of to and fro ing until the client hears the sound he was searching for. Also adding horns or other orchestration could also be a handy service for those midi luddites like me.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 05 Jan 2018, 11:09

Cheers - I'm thinking the best bet would to start by picking out some reference tones or gear as a starting point to get it 90% of the way (I've been having a fair bit of fun recreating sounds over the last 12 months). As most people have the ability these days to record their instrument DI into a computer, I figured this would offer a studio quality result at a fraction of the cost. A lot of it is set up all the time, so it takes me 5-10 minutes to reamp a pedal/amp/cab combo.

As for the additional instruments, the software packages and quality are amazing these days - I've been really impressed (if not a little overwhelmed) by the sounds and size of the libraries available.

Who knows, it might lead me away from the corporate shackles into a producing career!
Studio: Pro Tools, UAD, NI, Shure, AKG, Focusrite, Sleishman, DW, Sabian, Zildjian, Moog, Fender

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 05 Jan 2018, 11:21

for me, starting my recording journey, so far I can record a performance cleanly at good levels, it's all the EQing, adding reverb , re-amping etc that I need to master next. Your idea would definitely help people like myself who can capture a performance,either solo or a live band but are overwhelmed by the mixing stage.

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 05 Jan 2018, 11:37

Talking to other musos, that seems to be a common theme. Most have the ability to get a great take of the instrument, but all the rest can be a challenge. And often the time/ability to get to a studio for a day is limiting, as is the ability to get a band together for a day or more to track and make use of studio time. This way could offer people a lot more flexibility and options, and be done very time efficiently. If you wanted to try some stuff out, feel free to shoot me a message - I'm interested in testing the concept.
Cheers, Ben

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 05 Jan 2018, 13:44

you might want to merge the two threads on this, keep it all in one place :)

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 05 Jan 2018, 14:02

Cheers. I should also note more clearly that the trials I'm looking at will be at no charge, I just want to test the viability of the idea as to whether it's something people would use/get value out of.

benhill1982

Re: Online Studio Services/ReAmping

Post by benhill1982 » 02 Jul 2018, 15:59

Also able to offer mixing services - I have a full suite of pro mixing tools at my disposal now (as well as a shiny new interface and iMac :) )

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 03 Jul 2018, 00:38

I too have a shiny new Focusrite 18i20, but my mid spec laptop ain't coping too well lol

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 03 Jul 2018, 10:39

I went the 8Pre Thunderbolt and UAD Apollo with a spec’d up iMac. Against my old M-Audio USB interface and 2009 pc, it’s safe to say there is a noticeable step change. :)

Once I’ve finished setting it all up again for the new footprint I’ll put some samples on here of exactly what it can do for anyone interested.