Who is obsessive about their coffee??

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
slowlearner

Re: Who is obsessive about their coffee??

Post by slowlearner » 25 Nov 2017, 07:17

tom once dead wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 16:20
I am a barista, and I am no longer able to drink coffee because I drank too much and now my body says no.
At least I can still pour.
I've wondered about this for a long time... personally I never got started. I won't tell you what coffee does to me, but let's just say I call it the "unholy trinity". Love the smell and the taste, can't touch it. :/

...which makes watching coffee snobs very amusing. :peep:
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Heath

Post by Heath » 25 Nov 2017, 07:33

coffee and tea, i have both a plunger and one of those t2 teapots that you sit on top of your mug to fill it in my locker at work, a percolator and another of those t2 teapots at home
Basses: Yamaha, Sandberg, Ibanez, Fender
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

Lukaas3

Post by Lukaas3 » 25 Nov 2017, 07:34

Coffee

My home setup w custom hopper for my mazzer 😂😂😂

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 25 Nov 2017, 07:55

I became a coffee snob while living in Melbourne right near Lygon St and Brunswick Street. Refused to drink coffee elsewhere - once you've had the best, everything else tastes ghastly.

Gave up all caffeine products 18 years ago - coffee, tea, green tea, chocolate - as I would get headaches the following day if I didn't have another one. My then-girlfriend and I disliked coffee-breath on each other and both quit together. Can't even stand the smell of coffee shops now, or people's houses that smell of stale coffee & boiled milk. I still like the taste of a great coffee though.... just not the after-smell, after-taste or after-effects. :angry:

Herbal Tea snob now - loose leaf in an infuser, fine bone china cup, water below the boil (80°C), sip slowly. No headaches, pleasant smell.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

empyrean

Post by empyrean » 25 Nov 2017, 08:49

I like my coffee but wouldn’t say obsessive (others might). Have been using a Mokita Combi machine for the last ten years. Been (!) roasting my own for about 18 months. Bread machine and heat gun method. Apart from having freshly roasted beens it is a great way to try different varieties and experiment with different roasts.
Fender MIJ Jazz, Squier VM P5, Ibanez Jazz copy frankenbass, Ibanex Axstar, Epi Jack Casady. GB Streamliner, Epifani 112, Eden XLT115 and Mesa 212 cabs.

FunkDragon

Post by FunkDragon » 25 Nov 2017, 10:06

Obsessive...? Maybe not obsessive...
LOVE a good bucket though..
Coffee snob... Yes! Haha!

Only started drinking coffee since I turned 40 (44 now) but my wife reckons I went from zero to coffe snob.
Won't touch instant.
And only like the good stuff!
Life is too short for cheap nasty anything really!

I like my coffee like I like my Whiskey or Bourbon - smooth, and not too bitey...

Bought a Delongi machine for Xmas a few years ago. Is a lil' ripper.
Haven't got a grinder but just use our Ninja Bullet (carefully!). Haven't tried roasting my own beans yet though.
Have a couple of friends who roast their own (commercially).

I am considering a career change and a Barista is on the list of potentials.....
It's ALL about the groove!
Spector - ReBop MM 4, & Legend Custom 5 :partydance:
Genz Benz GBE750
Ampeg Portaflex 4x10

groovinbass.com

Heath

Post by Heath » 25 Nov 2017, 11:04

FunkDragon wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 10:06

Life is too short for cheap nasty anything really!
thats my motto, lifes too short for sh*t beer and sh*t coffee
Basses: Yamaha, Sandberg, Ibanez, Fender
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 25 Nov 2017, 11:22

Yep my wife and her family all used stove top for ages, we had plenty also, big small etc. There is literally 2 or 3 of them holding onto the belief that the stove top is best, the rest all use machines now - mainly fully automatic ones though.

My wife and I are the only ones in her family using a manual machine with a stand alone grinder. We ran a Delonghi auto machine initially, but after tasting from a friend's grinder and good machine using IDENTICAL beans to me, and the coffee was so much better it wasn't funny, I knew it was time to change. I thought I would have to sell my wife the idea of a Manual machine, but after one taste she was sold.

Great hearing I'm not alone! Melbourne is def the home of Coffee Snobbery in Australia. The beaker stories crack me up!

Nice set up Lukaas!
Gear:Fender I QSC I Bergantino I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses:Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Sadowsky I Warmoth l Squier

Bands:Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 25 Nov 2017, 15:00

Rocksolid wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 14:22
Who roasts their own beans?
At first I thought that was code for something else, along the lines of "bashing the Bishop".

Not a coffee drinker at all here.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 25 Nov 2017, 15:20

there is Coke with coffee now

Madness, go back to putting real coke in Coke :)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Lukaas3

Post by Lukaas3 » 25 Nov 2017, 17:05

Manual machines are untouchable so long as you have the patience and command of technique to exploit them.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 25 Nov 2017, 18:11

If I could afford being obsessive, I probably would be ... but since my machine of 14 years died 3 years ago, I’ve not been inclined to replace it with anything spectacular ... and I find bean grinding just too time-consuming ...
In addition, I actually went decaf for several years (back to regular octane, but not with the same fervour)
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

irvinz

Post by irvinz » 26 Nov 2017, 14:39

I used to use a stove pot for a couple of years, with the very “therapeutic” hand grinder.

Since moving to melbourne I use a manual espresso machine plus stand along grinder.

Once you start, you can’t turn back.

My wife and I go through 300grams a week. Once a day for her, and the rest would be my consumption. Find it hard to get coffee elsewhere now, which is probably more funds into the bass fund.

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 26 Nov 2017, 15:46

irvinz wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 14:39
I used to use a stove pot for a couple of years, with the very “therapeutic” hand grinder.

Since moving to melbourne I use a manual espresso machine plus stand along grinder.

Once you start, you can’t turn back.

My wife and I go through 300grams a week. Once a day for her, and the rest would be my consumption. Find it hard to get coffee elsewhere now, which is probably more funds into the bass fund.
Couldn't agree more. Once you have refined what you like, it is hard to go elsewhere.

We are at the point where we have purchased takeaway cups, so we can make our own as we walk out the door.
Gear:Fender I QSC I Bergantino I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses:Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Sadowsky I Warmoth l Squier

Bands:Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

LowGroove

Post by LowGroove » 26 Nov 2017, 21:20

I wouldn't say obsessive but I do like my coffee. I started with a manual Krupps thermoblock 18 years ago which was basic but OK. It died about 7 years ago and I decided to go beyond the thermoblock and bought a Bezzera Domus Galatea (http://www.barazicoffeemachines.com.au/ ... latea.html). I have an OK grinder but need to upgrade.

I looked into roasting but have yet to go down that slippery slope. Just get a fresh pack from Merlo regularly (every week or 2).

I don't like the idea of automatic machines - not enough control and too much to go wrong. in some ways I like my coffee machines like I like my basses.