What do you use to record snares?

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
BazzBass

What do you use to record snares?

Post by BazzBass » 16 Jun 2017, 02:28

Those that dabble in home recording, what mic do you use on the snare drum?

I've only ever used SM57s and they do the job well enough.

Just wondering if there is something else worth trying

cheers
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

aphekgreg

Re: What do you use to record snares?

Post by aphekgreg » 16 Jun 2017, 08:16

If you're just doing home recording, I'd say stick with the 57. More snares recorded with those in the last 50 years, than anything else. There are lots of options out there if you want to try something else. Almost every manufacturer has a mic they recommend for snare.

Personally, I most often use a modified 57, which has had the transformer removed and replaced with a Rode D-Power (I think that's the name) active preamp, which gives it more top and bottom end and more clarity in general. The other options I sometimes use, are a Beyerdynamic M160, hypercardiod ribbon or a Neumann KM84 condenser.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 16 Jun 2017, 08:22

I used a pair of rode nt5 as overheads both pointed at the snare and equidistant to prevent phase issues (string method). I was going for easy setup though so that plus close mic the kick and it does a surprisingly good job.
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 16 Jun 2017, 08:32

I've only ever used SM57...
A very cool trick, if you have the gear, is to also use an ambient mic (like a ribbon mic) and in addition to recording the close-up SM57 is to also run that up-close signal to trigger a gate... Run the ambient mic through the gate.

The end result is a normal up-close signal and a gated ambient signal that can be blended to give a nice, fat "3D" quality to the snare.

Ambient mics and and triggered gating of ambient is how Phil Collins achieved those huge sounds in a lot of his recordings. The drum tones on "Billy Don't Lose My Number" comes to mind.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 16 Jun 2017, 23:04

Audix i5 often used as alternative:
http://www.audixusa.com/docs_12/units/i5.shtml

Others are Sennheiser e609, Audix D1 (if you can find one) or D2 or D4
and more:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-st ... drums.html
I see..............basses!

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 17 Jun 2017, 01:10

cheers guys. I hear good things about Audix too. I have a Senny e602 kick/bass cab mic, ended up also getting a Shure Beta52a to try. I have a theory about micing cymbals. I'm not going to. They come thru just fine ambiently via the snare and tom mics. They always sound too loud compared to the rest of the kit. Then I found out Phil Spector's method on the wall of sound. He used to remove the cymbals from the kit before the drummer arrived. Done.
I've read and seen clips of the three mic method and it makes sense. One mic on the top of the snare, captures snare, hi hat and cymbals. One on the kick. One above the kick,level with the snare mic, capturing the floor and other toms and ride cymbal. Very effective. Oh, and raise the height of the cymbals if they are too loud in the mix. Anyone tried this?

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 17 Jun 2017, 15:14

I can say that mics all pointing in the same direction will help a minimal mic method - it avoids certain phase cancellations for spill-pickup from one mic to the next - but then you also get a different kind of sound if you are picking up the desired target not exactly on axis. Experimentation.
I see..............basses!

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 17 Jun 2017, 17:25

Just thought I'd throw this one in…. One of the fattest drum sounds I've ever heard - with just 2 standard SM57's

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3qYfe7Nsdc[/youtube]
Duesenberg MC Starplayer, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 18 Jun 2017, 03:03

there you go, that is as good a drum sound with two mics as you're gonna get. Thanks for sharing vin and great tip noplanb :)

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 18 Jun 2017, 10:59

Yep, I use SM57's. Both close to the head pointed into the centre of the drum. I'll then adjust height based on sound to balance the initial attack and resonance.
Sadowsky/Sandberg/Bergantino/Darkglass
TWA Great Divide 2.0
Human Gear Animato
Endangered Audio Research AD4096
Panda Midi Future Impact Mk1
Strymon Timeline/Mobius
Darkglass A/O
Boss Octaver
Fuzzrocious Clipper
Two Notes Le Preamps & Torpedo CAB

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 19 Jun 2017, 18:47

BazzBass wrote:cheers guys. I hear good things about Audix too. I have a Senny e602 kick/bass cab mic, ended up also getting a Shure Beta52a to try. I have a theory about micing cymbals. I'm not going to. They come thru just fine ambiently via the snare and tom mics. They always sound too loud compared to the rest of the kit. Then I found out Phil Spector's method on the wall of sound. He used to remove the cymbals from the kit before the drummer arrived. Done.
I've read and seen clips of the three mic method and it makes sense. One mic on the top of the snare, captures snare, hi hat and cymbals. One on the kick. One above the kick,level with the snare mic, capturing the floor and other toms and ride cymbal. Very effective. Oh, and raise the height of the cymbals if they are too loud in the mix. Anyone tried this?
I used to mic my kit for live shows identically to this... only slight difference was that my tom mic was centred between the two mounted toms. I never had issues and the sound man never complained and the drums sounded fine on the recordings we made from the board .

The mics I used were these blue-line dynamic microphones that sounded very much like SM57's
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 19 Jun 2017, 21:35

cheers fellas. My mic purchase has been put on the back burner. See, I went to get a new cable and saw an SX Jazz in black and well errrrm :drool: :red face