the end of gigging - update!

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
PilbaraBass

Re: the end of gigging

Postby PilbaraBass » 24 Mar 2017, 12:59

I never gigged much at bass... Played at church for about 10 years, but I gave that up a few years back...

I still have my gear (probably more)... one of these days, I'll get back into it... but I still play every chance I get and I just keep trying to learn more (technique and reading, etc...)

My eldest daughter is now quite a good piano player and my boy is getting there on drums, so I may start getting a little family jam thing happening... The middle daughter just started guitar, and I'm impressed how well she's taking to the instrument, so I think she'll need to join in.

We'll see how this goes... :D
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605

Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

drbass

Postby drbass » 24 Mar 2017, 13:41

It's never over until it's, well, over.

Like many others I stopped playing completely (not even noodling) for a number of years when other things in life assumed higher priority (family, running, you get the idea).

Happy to say I'm back to gigging semi-regularly again with a view to getting more work. Plus building. And picking up running again.

Hang in there ... .

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit, ME1/5, S2-5, (Thumb-4), 765-5
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Zoom B3, Line6 G50

slowlearner

Postby slowlearner » 24 Mar 2017, 13:47

Lots of good advice. Bass on your own is hard... at the risk of loosing friends here I'd say buy an acoustic guitar. You can play songs on your own, jam with your kids, write your own songs, etc. Then when the kids are old enough, you can jump back in with a new skill. I spend a lot of time playing guitar these days. More portable and flexible than bass. ;)
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."

cleary

Postby cleary » 24 Mar 2017, 14:38

slowlearner wrote:Lots of good advice. Bass on your own is hard... at the risk of loosing friends here I'd say buy an acoustic guitar. You can play songs on your own, jam with your kids, write your own songs, etc. Then when the kids are old enough, you can jump back in with a new skill. I spend a lot of time playing guitar these days. More portable and flexible than bass. ;)

You mean one of those 6 string 26.5" scale bass' tuned two octaves higher?
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

jamiesdad

Postby jamiesdad » 24 Mar 2017, 14:58

Shortscale tenor 6 string bass
Atelier Z / Fender / Ibanez / Fairfield / Cave / MXR / GK / Schroeder

Forum mod

Ox Boris

Postby Ox Boris » 24 Mar 2017, 15:04

You say you're getting busier. Might be worth a second look at precisely what has pushed out your Bass life. Can you grab a wee chunk of gig life from somewhere? Your well-being is important so you can continue to do all the awesome things you do for others.

sic608

Postby sic608 » 24 Mar 2017, 16:06

I too have been in the same boat these last few years.

I find that technique keeps me utterly inspired to keep on playin despite the lack of bands. Trying to become better is my perfect way of still enjoying the thrill. I would love too be able to be a proficient soloist one day.

What id like too know is how many people gave up or were able too play the music they love as an occupation/income?

I have personally had plenty of chances too be in cover bands but never loved it. The covers that id like too play arent exactly mainstream. Ive always lived original bands too
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

Aussie Mark

Postby Aussie Mark » 24 Mar 2017, 17:34

In the early 80s I gigged 3 or 4 nights a week, but then when my career took over and I was living in locations without much of a live music scene I didn't gig for a decade from 1985. After that I got back into some solo acoustic stuff and began woodshedding on bass again, and then from 2000 until my first kid was born in 2006 I gigged regularly again. Took a couple of years off when the kids were little, and then gigged extensively until the end of last year when I took a step back and now only gig occasionally when the band needs a fill in or we're doing something locally - that's been due to my kid's sporting commitments. If you take a break, you can come back again any time you like - I'm 55 and don't plan on fully hanging up the boots at this point in time!

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, O'Neill, Ampeg, Genz Benz

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals; O'Neill Amplification

ozrider

Postby ozrider » 24 Mar 2017, 22:38

Some really great insights here. Thanks for the advice. I can't respond to everyone directly but its a combination of a number of factors that led me thinking about hanging it up. I must say I have been inspired by your experiences and will incorporate some woodshedding, guitar noodling and maybe a jam here and there until my time commitments ease up. thanks folks!

BazzBass

Postby BazzBass » 25 Mar 2017, 15:47

ever think of joining an online group or a collaboration site?, there are a few out there

You all record your parts on a DAW seperately, the Reaper forum has a section devoted to these collaborations
The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees the glass as half full. The realist finishes the glass and orders a fresh one. :)

ozrider

Postby ozrider » 19 Jun 2017, 08:06

For the record. I kept persisting. Hooked up with a couple of offers here which all subsequently fell through - doing rock again which I'm not really into but just kept finding myself there cos there just never seemed to be much else about. Then out of the blue found an advert for a funk band. What was curious was how I'd been working on my gospel pentatonic runs for a bit of fun and it all just came together when I did the audition ... Meant to be I guess.

cleary

Re: the end of gigging - update!

Postby cleary » 19 Jun 2017, 11:23

Congrats George, next step: pics/video/national tour ;)
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

BazzBass

Postby BazzBass » 19 Jun 2017, 12:58

The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees the glass as half full. The realist finishes the glass and orders a fresh one. :)

ozrider

Postby ozrider » 20 Jun 2017, 12:35

cleary wrote:Congrats George, next step: pics/video/national tour ;)

Thanks Bernie - this is the group...

http://www.championmusic.com.au/artist. ... genre_id=5

BassLine

Postby BassLine » 20 Jun 2017, 14:18

Great gig man!!! Persistence pays off.

There's plenty of bass transcriptions for free on the net.

Here's September EWF.
http://www.thebassment.info/transcripti ... er-tab.pdf

Return to “Off Topics”