Is there any possible way to live in the U.S.?

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Lukas86

Post by Lukas86 » 17 Dec 2011, 12:27

Hey all,
just wondering, is there any possible way for an Aussie to obtain a visa to work and live in the U.S. for a few years? From all the research, all I can find is the possibility of an E3 visa, which means you need a sponsor and the job 'has to relate to your university degree'. Are there any other work visas or ways to get in? Despite the economic climate and state of the country, I wouldn't mind spending 5-10 years over there.

KirBass

Re: Is there any possible way to live in the U.S.?

Post by KirBass » 17 Dec 2011, 12:42

become a mail-order bridegroom :eyebrow:

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 17 Dec 2011, 14:01

I believe that the US Immigration dept still does a Green Card Lottery every year for people with relevant skills and no criminal record etc. You pay an amount to go into the draw, and a certain number of lucky people get a Green Card. No idea how much it costs though.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

thenosebleedkid

Post by thenosebleedkid » 17 Dec 2011, 14:06

I'm a US citizen.

Civil union.

LiF

Post by LiF » 27 Dec 2011, 17:00

I know someone who was living in the US at the time submitted 10000 green card applications, and got in that way. He played the odds, was virtually guaranteed a green card. Unfortunately, being a UK citizen, I am ineligible for the lottery. Also have another friend, from Perth, who got a sponsored visa, and persuaded his girlfriend, at the time, to enter the lottery. Her number came up and she got a green card that way, but they had split up and he was living in New York by the time this came through. Of course, she never bothered using it, what a f***ing waste!

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 27 Dec 2011, 19:04

The most common way young foreigners live in the US is on student visas.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

CyberPunkie

Post by CyberPunkie » 27 Dec 2011, 21:07

thenosebleedkid wrote:I'm a US citizen.

Civil union.
That explains a lot.
Yamaha BB424x / Hohner PJ Professional / Roland GR77 + WJones interface 4 Boss GR55 // Boss GT-10B / Boss GR55 / Roland GR77B + VB-99 / Ampeg SVT410HE / SVT15E

CyberPunkie

Post by CyberPunkie » 27 Dec 2011, 21:16

Lukas86 wrote:Hey all,
just wondering, is there any possible way for an Aussie to obtain a visa to work and live in the U.S. for a few years? From all the research, all I can find is the possibility of an E3 visa, which means you need a sponsor and the job 'has to relate to your university degree'. Are there any other work visas or ways to get in? Despite the economic climate and state of the country, I wouldn't mind spending 5-10 years over there.
H1B - You need to get a job in the US with a company willing to sponsor you.
E3 - Idem to the above but for Australians due to the US-AUS free trade agreement.
Working Holiday - You still need an sponsor in the USA.

Green Card is equivalent to PR, you can apply from it by first being an H1B, Student Visa. You can apply and win the visa lottery program BUT this does not automatically mean a visa will be granted. You still need to successfully pass an interview with an USA immigration official.

I would still ask the question... Why would you want to move to the USA?
Yamaha BB424x / Hohner PJ Professional / Roland GR77 + WJones interface 4 Boss GR55 // Boss GT-10B / Boss GR55 / Roland GR77B + VB-99 / Ampeg SVT410HE / SVT15E

ScottyBoy

Post by ScottyBoy » 28 Dec 2011, 06:25

I'm on an E3 visa in the US.

Most of this has been mentioned. So with all (I think all?) working visas in the US you need a Universtity degree in an in demand profession sponsored by a company. You can also get transferred with a company with offices in US and aus.

About 10 years ago I knew of people who get a temporary working visa to work in a kids summer camp but this would not be a couple years at a time. There were (are?) companies in Australia who do all the organising for this. This would be more for the experience and you would be working in the camp most of the time I'd say.

You could marry an American girl ;)

As Mark says there is a Green Card lottery, although its actually free. There are scamsters around charging for it but its actually free application direct to US government website. Its a window thats only open for a few weeks once a year - finished end of October I think and winners are notified early next year.

ScottyBoy

Post by ScottyBoy » 28 Dec 2011, 06:26

Oh and as mentioned as well you could look at student visa. But that is going to be big $$$ in education fees which is expensive here. You are basically paying for the visa.

thenosebleedkid

Post by thenosebleedkid » 28 Dec 2011, 08:59

CyberPunkie wrote:That explains a lot.
Lived in Australia my whole life, got it in a loop hole.

:)

General jerkiness noted for later reference.

Phatbass

Post by Phatbass » 28 Dec 2011, 13:55

There's this guy I know in Tijuana, Mexico, who has a van...
Phatbass

"Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt"

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 28 Dec 2011, 13:56

Phatbass wrote:There's this guy I know in Tijuana, Mexico, who has a van...
^This

LOL
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

CyberPunkie

Post by CyberPunkie » 29 Dec 2011, 10:17

thenosebleedkid wrote:
CyberPunkie wrote:That explains a lot.
Lived in Australia my whole life, got it in a loop hole.

:)

General jerkiness noted for later reference.

Singular OBF members are awesome at shutting down conversation they are sick of but others haven't finished.

One of the more irritating features of this board.

Lukas86

Post by Lukas86 » 21 Jan 2012, 13:34

Thanks all. I did enter the greencard lottery last november (free on the U.S. consulate website). So I will wait and see I guess.
Other than that the E3 appears to be the best working visa an Aussie could get. The struggle is that my degree in psychology isn't enough, most american employers want you to have a master's or doctorate in the area, especially if they are going to sponsor you.

In reference to the question, why would I want to live there?
I felt really comfortable last time I was there, somewhat enjoy the culture (apart from some tackiness and capitalism at its worst), music scene and festivals blow ours out of the water, it's a lot cheaper (i know wages are ordianry though...I guess it evens out), and I love that there is another city usually within 3 hours of wherever you are. Someone else asked me if there were way more dickheads/wankers over there, whilst there are some, I'd say no more that us (per capita), your going to get people like that everywhere. Geographic location- being able to go to Europe or South america in less than 10 hours. I guess I don't have to justify the decision, I just dig the place. I found the yanks to be really friendly when I was over there.

Anyhow,
thanks for the input!