Rant Thread !

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
tearalong

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by tearalong » 16 Jan 2018, 12:53

I found finger scanner didn't work after a long practice or gig so I switched it to my ring finger which doesn't get the same workout
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 16 Jan 2018, 12:56

how do the fingerprint readers go with calloused fingertips?

EDIT and someone answered my question as I was typing it lol
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 16 Jan 2018, 15:32

Aussie Mark wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 12:41
I've disabled the fingerprint scan on my phone, as I find a 4 digit passcode quick enough.

Pete, back on the previous topic (CPAP) - how do those masks go if you are a restless sleeper? I can't even stand wearing PJs to bed because I'd wake up feeling like I'm wearing a straightjacket, so I'm curious how the mask and airhose would handle someone who rolls over in their sleep?
Well I've only done cpap for one night, so I'm far from an expert. It was in the sleep lab so I also had dozens of other wires hanging off me. So yes, I found it difficult to fall asleep initially. I am assured, and the comparison between the two sleep tests indicates this to be true, that a large percentage of tossing and turning for people with obstructive apnea is because they are subconsciously trying to get into a position where they can breathe better. I had much less movement while sleeping when using cpap.

I hear people come up with all sorts of interesting workarounds to minimise the anoyingness of the tubing. Most run them over the bed head, others rig up crazy looking but effective frames/stands etc. I'll figure all that out as I go.....

EDIT - There is a really good thread on TB about all this. Some excellent info over there, and there's no agro or flaming, I guess because there's a common problem to unite us.
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/anyone ... 137/page-6
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Macbass

Post by Macbass » 18 Jan 2018, 02:14

Petebass wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 15:32
a large percentage of tossing and turning for people with obstructive apnea is because they are subconsciously trying to get into a position where they can breathe better. I had much less movement while sleeping when using cpap.

Absolutely agree.

A reliable source tells me that when I don't use the CPAP I toss and turn all night.
When I use it I sleep like a log.

Tube goes from the bedside table to under the pillow to out near my head. Simple.

It can take a little while to get the right adjustment for the face/nose mask but when you do it's fine.

Definitely worth pursuing. I even take mine on tour: if anyone scoffs at it I give them one night of sharing a room with me as I snore then another night with the CPAP on. They soon shut up.
1982 Moonstone Eclipse, Aguilar Tonehammer Pre, Peavey power amp, Markbass CL106, Various pedals...

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 25 Jan 2018, 20:52

a good rant for a change.

I used to manage bands in the 90s after I stopped playing. Loved having free beers with the publican whilst discussing gig bookings.

Fast forward to now. The other day I sent emails to half a dozen pubs asking for gigs, included our Facebook page, soundcloud , youtubes. Then I thought, wtf happens now? what if I don't hear back? there is no feedback. Do I resend emails after a month?

this SUX.

today I opened our band's email and there was not one, not two, not three but FOUR gig offers !

For money ! we play originals only and so far gigs have been free or shared door .

for the Adelaide bassists, I really need help to get 50 people to the Gov, Sat March 24, free entry, as we are just starting out and are slowly building a following

Los Mescalitos www.Facebook.com/LosMescalitos
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts