Rant Thread !

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Petebass

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by Petebass » 23 Dec 2017, 13:33

BazzBass wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 12:43
I find it hard to watch The Office, both UK and US versions because nearly every boss I ever had was just like them :)
I actually love both versions of the office. But the premise there is that the boss is a big tit, yet somehow keeps getting promoted. That's not write the same thing as corporate psychopath. Both are hard too work for, but the bosses from the office are comparatively harmless. Corporate psychos can do untold amounts of damage both you the business and to the people in it.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 23 Dec 2017, 13:37

I've come across at least one in my work. Thankfully the latest one is quite ill and elderly and I believe I've got the upper hand.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 27 Dec 2017, 17:51

Boss called me Saturday at 7:30A and didn’t leave a message, I called back 20mins later and he didn’t answer ... at 3pm I was at the cinema and he rings again, no message ... I call back 20mins later ... no answer

Not even a courtesy as to what he wanted ... grrrrr

Sunday, he calls me at 9AM and asks me to come to work ... I end up working 8 hours on Christmas Eve and he doesn’t even bother grabbing lunch for me and another bloke who was called out ...

The killer of it all is that I was called to support a part of the plant that I am supposedly no longer responsible for ... I’m supposed to be responsible for a different part of the plant ... I am essentially now doing the work of two, which was 4 two years ago and 6 two-years before that ... can anyone say “unsustainable”?
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Ox Boris

Post by Ox Boris » 27 Dec 2017, 18:45

PilbaraBass wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 17:51
Boss called me Saturday at 7:30A and didn’t leave a message, I called back 20mins later and he didn’t answer ... at 3pm I was at the cinema and he rings again, no message ... I call back 20mins later ... no answer

Not even a courtesy as to what he wanted ... grrrrr
I've seen no reason so far to return his call.
PilbaraBass wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 17:51
Sunday, he calls me at 9AM and asks me to come to work
"No."

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 27 Dec 2017, 19:17

^^^^^^
seek.com.au

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 27 Dec 2017, 20:30

Sounds like he needs you more than you need him? I’d be working set hours and only what is in your job description and that’s it. No overtime, no on call, figure it out yourself boss. Quid pro quo.
B: Fender Mustang, Narcdor Precision, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Ampeg Repro 15

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 28 Dec 2017, 01:34

Kerry you must stop expecting him to have any idea whatever about what his actions are doing to you. Empathy does not compute with corporate psychos. Not only does he not care, he is not capable of caring. And he's not going to change. There is no golden moment where he realises the error of his ways and grows a heart. Sorry but that's the truth.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

veebass

Post by veebass » 28 Dec 2017, 09:01

Petebass wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 01:34
Kerry you must stop expecting him to have any idea whatever about what his actions are doing to you. Empathy does not compute with corporate psychos. Not only does he not care, he is not capable of caring. And he's not going to change. There is no golden moment where he realises the error of his ways and grows a heart. Sorry but that's the truth.
I guess it depends on what is your conditions, agreement etc. If you are management, I found that seemed to be a licence for more senior management to treat you poorly.

My worst experiences were working for a lazy toad of a National Manager who was based in Perth and I was on the east Coast.

He would rock in at 9.30 his time and leave at 5.30 his time and expect us at work and available to him during that period and outside that period to take calls from him if he needed. Nothing for me to get a call a 9.00 pm our time after a 12 hour day and be told he needed some work done overnight. We also has a national network to run- so we needed to be at work at 8.30 our time. Impossible.

Hand back the work mobile.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 28 Dec 2017, 20:29

Petebass wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 01:34
I suspect you are right... I suspect I'm going have to change ...

I used to be quite comfortable going the extra mile when it was required, but it's interesting that when it is being dragged out of me, how my attitude has changed.

A little insight into the man. He told me this strange story on Sunday that lacked a bit of detail and it went a bit like this...
"When I was a teenager, there was this strange man standing in the living room. I asked my mother who was this man and she said that this was my father." Ummm... ok... 8/

I think it had something to do with his dad being a workaholic and then he said that he didn't want to be like this to his kids. Well, he's doing a pretty good job of it so far ... :crazy: His new wife just had a baby boy not long ago, and he managed to take an entire 1.5 days off... WOW! 8|
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

We_r_Me

Post by We_r_Me » 30 Dec 2017, 09:16

PilbaraBass wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 20:29

A little insight into the man. He told me this strange story on Sunday that lacked a bit of detail and it went a bit like this...
"When I was a teenager, there was this strange man standing in the living room. I asked my mother who was this man and she said that this was my father." Ummm... ok... 8/
Just thought I'd mention.....

Believe it or not there's actually a medical condition where one can totally forget who they're talking to or what they were talking about - and it can happen in a split second, mid sentence. I have this condition, and it's incredible frustrating and people can easily take it the wrong way. I've had good friends get very offended when I have no idea who's in front of me or what we were just talking about. It's not about a trouble recognising faces or any distortion of the information going in, it's about the way in which memory is stored. The memory is there, it just becomes unavailable sometimes. It's kind of random and can pop up anytime (middle of interviews for instance!!)

I struggle being able to remember what my father looked like. I was once asked to draw a simple picture of him... I had no recollection of him and I simply couldn't do it.

I tell you though, it makes it very hard to be a musician and remember songs. I make a lot of good recoveries, put it that way :)

Kery, maybe there's something like this happening to your work colleague?

veebass

Post by veebass » 30 Dec 2017, 09:59

We_r_Me wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 09:16

I tell you though, it makes it very hard to be a musician and remember songs. I make a lot of good recoveries, put it that way :)

Wow, I was going to ask does it happen mid song?

It is possible Kerry's boss has a condition, but I saw so much of this type of behaviour from very senior managers in my career and when previously decent guys got promoted. It was intentional in my opinion.
When they select people into the Senior Executive Service (SES)of the Commonwealth Public Service (the upper managers) they used send us to a service wide induction (they may still do).
The message was pretty plain- we are special or elite, the levels below us (Senior Officer Grades) are not.
Basically, do with them as you wish. There is nothing much they can do about it as long as nothing "stupid" gets put in writing, except leave. If they leave, so what?
Our first allegiance was to the SES and the whole public service rather than to the department we happen to be working for. Agency loyalty was discouraged.
I actually saw very few SES Managers with what I would consider great people skills.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 30 Dec 2017, 10:55

veebass wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 09:59
We_r_Me wrote:

It is possible Kerry's boss has a condition, but I saw so much of this type of behaviour from very senior managers in my career and when previously decent guys got promoted. It was intentional in my opinion.
When they select people into the Senior Executive Service (SES)of the Commonwealth Public Service (the upper managers) they used send us to a service wide induction (they may still do).
The message was pretty plain- we are special or elite, the levels below us (Senior Officer Grades) are not.
Basically, do with them as you wish. There is nothing much they can do about it as long as nothing "stupid" gets put in writing, except leave. If they leave, so what?
Our first allegiance was to the SES and the whole public service rather than to the department we happen to be working for. Agency loyalty was discouraged.
I actually saw very few SES Managers with what I would consider great people skills.
And by definition, the main characteristic defining a psychopath, sociopath, and even a narcissist is a complete lack of empathy. This management induction is basically a university for these people, run by these people.

It was I started to feel like these people were running the world that I went and bought an Ice Cream shop. I create my own tolerable levels of bullshit, I only hire nice people, and In constantly in contact with nice people. That's a stark contrast to my life until this point.....
Last edited by Petebass on 30 Dec 2017, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 30 Dec 2017, 11:09

Petebass wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 10:55
veebass wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 09:59
We_r_Me wrote:

And by definition, the main characteristic defining a psychopath, sociopath, and even a narcissist is a complete lack of empathy. This management induction is basically a university for these people, run by these people.

It was I started to feel like these people were running the world that I went and bought an Ice Cream shop. I create my own tolerable levels of bullshit, I only hire nice people, and In constantly in contract with nice people. That's a stark contrast to my life until this point.....
I'm off topic but I really want to hear about this sea change

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 30 Dec 2017, 14:03

ozrider wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 11:09
Ok the short version: in Sydney I worked for a company full of psychos in 1997 as an accountant, but was lucky enough to change to a place run by people who were so nice I stayed there for 12 years. When they retired, you'll never guess who they sold the business to .... that's right, the jerk I worked for in 1997 and hate with a vengance.

I left and went to a big company in the Sydney CBD who initially were ok, then AMP management moved in. Psycho's again. My wife had been nagging me for 10 yrs to move to QLD to be closer to her family. and I was having trouble finding a new job that didn't have all the alarm bells of the corporate psycho evident at the interview stage. so we sold the house and moved to Hervey Bay in late 2014.

Work is very hard to find in HB, and the employers here know it. I worked for 12 months for a financial planning mob who were bearable at first, but when the nice partner retired, the remaining 2 unleashed their inner corporate psycho, and a mass exodus followed. All the males left first, there was a lot of man-hater crap going on. I was literally the last man standing, but eventually I had enough not only of this job, but of dealing with idiots. I sought professional help from both life coaches and psychologists, and that helped. But I was also having some family dramas going, then I got cancer, so I was in no frame of mind to be dealing with excess crap. Professionally, it really did feel like the corporate psycho's have taken over the financial world, and I started looking for a way out ....

So I bought a beach-side Ice Cream Shop in Feb 17. So far, so good. I had to get rid of some of the existing staff who thought they could boss the boss around, and there's a few shop owner neighbours I don't have any time for. But for the most part, I'm dealing with nice people 99.9% of the time.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 30 Dec 2017, 14:24

Petebass wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 14:03
ozrider wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 11:09
Ok the short version: in Sydney I worked for a company full of psychos in 1997 as an accountant, but was lucky enough to change to a place run by people who were so nice I stayed there for 12 years. When they retired, you'll never guess who they sold the business to .... that's right, the jerk I worked for in 1997 and hate with a vengance.

I left and went to a big company in the Sydney CBD who initially were ok, then AMP management moved in. Psycho's again. My wife had been nagging me for 10 yrs to move to QLD to be closer to her family. and I was having trouble finding a new job that didn't have all the alarm bells of the corporate psycho evident at the interview stage. so we sold the house and moved to Hervey Bay in late 2014.

Work is very hard to find in HB, and the employers here know it. I worked for 12 months for a financial planning mob who were bearable at first, but when the nice partner retired, the remaining 2 unleashed their inner corporate psycho, and a mass exodus followed. All the males left first, there was a lot of man-hater crap going on. I was literally the last man standing, but eventually I had enough not only of this job, but of dealing with idiots. I sought professional help from both life coaches and psychologists, and that helped. But I was also having some family dramas going, then I got cancer, so I was in no frame of mind to be dealing with excess crap. Professionally, it really did feel like the corporate psycho's have taken over the financial world, and I started looking for a way out ....

So I bought a beach-side Ice Cream Shop in Feb 17. So far, so good. I had to get rid of some of the existing staff who thought they could boss the boss around, and there's a few shop owner neighbours I don't have any time for. But for the most part, I'm dealing with nice people 99.9% of the time.
Thanks Pete, interesting read. Good luck with the business, you got time for bass playing too?