Rant Thread !

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
narcdor

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by narcdor » 29 Jul 2017, 00:01

Don't bother with gumtree, not worth the aggravation. I've never managed to sell anything for what it's worth there, three attempts then abort abort!
Basses: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
Amps: O'Neill B15 copy, Walkabout, Puma 900
Cabs: Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 29 Jul 2017, 07:41

Shingles on the right side of my face, confirmed by lab tests. Good lord the pain! It's actually two types of pain at once. The first one is constant strong dull ache similar to a massive toothache but across the whole jawline. The pain killers make that bearable.

But the worst part is what happens to the skin when anything touches it. It's like someone joined 10 or 20 sewing needles together and jabbed them into your face. First thing in the morning is the worst because my pillow has been touching my face all night. Thankfully that's starting to subside now, replaced by itching. Kill me now.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

veebass

Post by veebass » 29 Jul 2017, 09:07

Petebass wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 07:41
Shingles on the right side of my face, confirmed by lab tests. Good lord the pain! It's actually two types of pain at once. The first one is constant strong dull ache similar to a massive toothache but across the whole jawline. The pain killers make that bearable.

But the worst part is what happens to the skin when anything touches it. It's like someone joined 10 or 20 sewing needles together and jabbed them into your face. First thing in the morning is the worst because my pillow has been touching my face all night. Thankfully that's starting to subside now, replaced by itching. Kill me now.
So hope it stops soon, Pete.
Last edited by veebass on 29 Jul 2017, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 29 Jul 2017, 14:36

I had it and my face filled with pox like sores, like big red pimples, all over my face. Hope you don't get that too
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham" :rolf:

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 29 Jul 2017, 15:59

Petebass wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 07:41

Sorry to hear that Pete. Excruciating pain is an understatement for shingles. Glad it's starting to mellow.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

CamZH

Post by CamZH » 03 Aug 2017, 13:10

Scott's Bass lessons on Youtube.
I don't know what it is about this bloke, but I CAN NOT STAND HIM !
I also find I struggle stop watching some of his video once I start watching them...
help !
Troll lol loling along

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 03 Aug 2017, 13:13

CamZH wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 13:10
I also find I struggle stop watching some of his video once I start watching them...
help !
Lol. Sometimes he takes an extraordinary amount of time to make his point - that bit frustrates me. But love his playing and his enthusiasm.
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 03 Aug 2017, 13:54

CamZH wrote:
help !
I somehow landed a Jazz gig recently, and I'm not a Jazz player. I only got through the gig because of the help I received from 2 people.

1 - Maxgroover. Thanks again Matt, you're a legend!

2 - Scott Devine's lessons on youtube. I thought he was pretty good. He seems to have a crap-load of followers and makes a pretty decent living out of it, so he can't be that bad can he?
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 03 Aug 2017, 13:57

I don't mind Scott Devine... I like his vids (although I don't watch many)....

Although, I will admit, my favourite bass guru is Ed Friedland... not Scott.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

cleary

Post by cleary » 03 Aug 2017, 14:06

CamZH wrote:
help !
He frequently bugs me too, but his good lessons are really great. These days his video titles are predominantly click bait, and seem like he's running out of ideas for lessons.
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 03 Aug 2017, 15:01

the glove, it's the glove. I know he has a condition, but.....the GLOVE !
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham" :rolf:

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 03 Aug 2017, 15:25

CamZH wrote:
help !
I've been catching his vids every now and then since his really early work. A bit like MarloweDk who didn't even talk in his early vids which I used to really enjoy. MarloweDK morphed into all sorts of online stuff which I noted just recently was scaled back. Same like Scott, he's evolved his on-screen persona so it makes sense to me seeing where he started and where he is now. Maybe he seems insincere or over the top without that context, but I love his enthusiasm, and his groove. I can't imagine making a living playing bass/teaching bass is easy - so kudos to whoever manages it [tips imaginary hat]

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 03 Aug 2017, 16:56

PilbaraBass wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 13:57

Well if we are talkin about gear videos, Ed wins hands down. Scott's gear videos aren't great, which is odd considering he was once an apprentice luthier. Scott's a bit like "I love this bass/amp/cab/whatever. It sounds great. Don't ask me why, I have no idea, it just works! Oh and same goes for this piece of gear, I bought it during a lunch break......". In contrast, Ed goes into great detail about features.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 03 Aug 2017, 19:36

Petebass wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 16:56
PilbaraBass wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 13:57

Well if we are talkin about gear videos, Ed wins hands down. Scott's gear videos aren't great, which is odd considering he was once an apprentice luthier. Scott's a bit like "I love this bass/amp/cab/whatever. It sounds great. Don't ask me why, I have no idea, it just works! Oh and same goes for this piece of gear, I bought it during a lunch break......". In contrast, Ed goes into great detail about features.
I follow Ed Friedland on Facebook. He made a comment about his gig photos only getting 40 likes and his gear photos got 750 likes.

I commented "well, you are the worlds #1 bass gear reviewer. Nobody else even comes close."
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 04 Aug 2017, 08:36

^I agree... l love Ed's gear reviews... he's especially thorough when it comes to testing a bass' sound capabilities.

I remember once he did a Bass Whisperer review of a Big Al (which has about a gazillion tonal options) and he methodically and painstakingly demonstrated them all. It took me 1/2 hour just to get through his review.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.