General Chit Chat Thread

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
veebass

Re: General Chit Chat Thread

Post by veebass » 27 Nov 2015, 09:33

BassLine wrote:Great suggestions guys, thank you thank you thank you!!! :) :) :)

Caz (singer) has an awesome voice, but it's a lower voice... very Melissa Etheridge.

We do two songs for each artist 'mini-tribute' (plus costumes) for:
Pat Benatar. Hit Me With You best shot, All fired up.
P!nk. Who Knew, What's goin on.
Tina Turner. River deep mountain high (sounds terrific), Nutbush.
Divinyls. Boys in town, Only Lonely
Pretenders. Don't get me wrong, Brass in Pocket.
Melissa Etheridge. Bring me some water, Like the way I do.
Blondie. Call Me, Hanging on the Telephone.
Baby Animals. One Word, Rush you.

im happy with all of them, just curious as to appeal to a younger crowd. Nice to have a few slower songs too... But it's hard to know when/which songs people get up and dance to.

With a very structured set list/costume changes - the only flexibility is adding/swapping a songs from the same artist.
eg. What's going on -> do So What instead, esp if younger crowd there & up dancing after Who Knew.
eg. Simply The Best... add it after Nutbush if there's people dancing.
eg. Melissa Etheridge... only if it's a listening crowd, etc. (in case they tend to empty the dance floor? Dunno, never played her songs before).
eg. Blondie add Heart of Glass if they're up & dancing.

I really appreciate the input. I don't wanna be 'that guy' that makes lots of stupid suggestions.
No probs at all. What works can vary from night to night even with similar crowds in the same place. We have had people go off to Beast Of Burden one night and had it clear the dance floor the next time in that place. The mini tribute with costume changes makes you guys somewhat more restricted than us. We can change the order very easily, if we happen to clear the dance floor and the singer feels the next song is unlikely to get them back up. So some reserves in each mini tribute is a good idea, I think.
We find the younger ones hardest to pitch to, given we don't play duff duff or heavily produced current songs. I guess that's why we do so many Pink, Katy Perry etc and try and keep our older ones less obscure and more anthemic, if you like (even if we would prefer to be doing something else). I really love Harden My Heart for example, but it won't work with a younger crowd because they don't know it- whereas, they all know If I Could Turn Back Time and Simply The Best and generally we find those songs go off. I love covering Concrete Blonde but you need the right circumstance, as another example.
The other flexibility we have is that we don't need to stick to "female" songs. We do quite a number of male associated simple rock songs like All The Small Things, On My Mind, Twist and Shout, What I like About You, Sedated, Teen Spirit, Fortunate Son (Foo Fighterised) etc which our singer creams- we also do some Hair Metal Classics because of her range and power, also gives the guitarist an opportunity to stretch out on a few well known solos- Livin On A Prayer, Rock You Like A Hurricane, Sweet Child. Lots of guys will just stand and watch a guitarist shredding, but you need to keep it to a minimum because the women will often turn off and the aim is to get the women dancing.

Another thought, Heaven Is A Place on Earth would fit with what you are doing and may well suit your singer- you could pair it with Our Lips Are Sealed or Leave The Light On For Me- we are working on Heaven Is A Place but haven't played it in front of a crowd.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

veebass

Post by veebass » 19 Dec 2015, 05:32

This is interesting. Impact of global warming on crocodile distribution.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environ ... 216-glop00

In addition to the findings of this research, it is well known that the gender of crocodile hatchlings is determined by incubation temperature within the nest, which may vary within different parts of the nest. Males only resulting in a fairly narrow temperature band. Hotter or colder than that and females are produced.

A number of verified crocodile sightings in the Mary River and The Great Sandy have occurred over the last few years. The most recent I am aware of was this year near Tiaro. The Mary is the next major River north from The Noosa River. There have been unconfirmed sighting in the Noosa River.
Saltwater Crocodiles are well known to migrate in northern Australia in response to food sources. I think it is a matter of time before they start to show up south of the Mary.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 19 Dec 2015, 07:34

^crocs will also get over around by floods... In recent years, the Mary has experienced a couple of floods that could have dislodged a few Salties.

The Fitzroy, Boyne, and Calliope catchments which aren't that far from the Mary, really, all experience a few crocs
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 15 Jan 2016, 13:15

Fretless electric guitar. That's pretty much how they sound when a guitarist tries to play a fretless bass.
http://youtu.be/ewCZ-TWdx40
I love how they still bend notes!! :lol:
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 17 Jan 2016, 03:25

Excellent reading, something for everyone.

http://sourcesofinsight.com/50-life-hac ... k-you-for/
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 20 Feb 2016, 16:18

New TV series "Unreal" starting Monday 8.30pm on SBS1. It's a pi##-take on reality TV dating shows. Apparently it's really really good.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 20 Feb 2016, 16:31

speaking of new shows, Episode 2 of Cuffs on ABC at 8.30 tonight. Last weeks debut was kinda OK, waiting for tonight to better judge the show, but it wasn't too bad at all.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 27 Mar 2018, 12:34

Oz Bass Forum Moderator