OzzyGreg

MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by OzzyGreg » 16 Jul 2018, 06:00

Just sayin' .....

I'm becoming bored with:
a) Marc Marquez winning almost everything in MotoGP
and
b) Jonathon Rae winning almost everything in World Superbikes

I got sick of Mick Doohan winning almost everything in 500GP back in the 90s and virtually stopped watching races.
I can feel it beginning again.

Thank god for the World Speedway Championship, AMA Supercross and Outdoor Motocross on Foxtel! At least there's different winners there.
Can't quite let go of my basses. They're kind of addictive.

hamo

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by hamo » 16 Jul 2018, 07:25

I agree somewhat. I have only been watching a few races each season for a few years, Philip Island (of course) and Monza are probably the only two I really like watching because there is often an good tussle.
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 16 Jul 2018, 10:13

I kinda agree, and as a personal thing I don't care for Marquez much. MotoGP hasn't been the same since traction control. I understand it, and I don't blame anyone for doing what they can to avoid a power-on high side, but it has taken a huge element of skill out of the sport now that they can basically just nail it out of corners. The Moto3 is often the most entertaining race of the day.

I've always had problems with the WSB and their stupid capacity rules. I know it has been mostly addressed now, but it still seems silly and artificial. And for years the sport was basically run for Ducati and that kno.... fine sportsman Carl Fogerty and I'm still grumpy after all these years haha. Also WSB hasn't been the same since they got rid of those two commentators whose names escape me but who were very entertaining and funny in a respectful way.

I still think it's they are the best televised motor sport though. I like the Speedway GP, but really, most races, they should just call it what it is - a 40m drag race to the first corner, then declare the winner.

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 16 Jul 2018, 12:57

I too prefer Moto3. wheel to wheel racing from start to finish. Then I usually just flick back to see on what lap marquez takes the lead, very boring. Casey, come back
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 17 Jul 2018, 17:03

I loved watching Doohan win everything! His skill on the bike was obvious, but I particularly liked what he did to the heads of anyone who got close. Creville, Capirossi, Puig, even Daryl Beatie - all showed enough speed, but Doohan messed with their heads and/or outsmarted them at every opportunity, both on and off the track.

I also lost interest in Motp go and superbikes somewhere along the line. The sleepless nights started to become a problem as my work required more responsibility. And nowadays I'm too old to function properly when I've stayed up too late :)
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

brooksi

Post by brooksi » 18 Jul 2018, 20:45

I have been watching the trials ,when they come on tv which is very rare. I love what they can do on a bike
Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.
Powered by Pals, Motivated by Mates.

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 19 Jul 2018, 12:25

Trials are great to watch. I've not got Foxtel anymore, but loved it when I did.

Is Tony Bou still leagues above the rest?

Speedway is very cool too
Mean & Surly

brooksi

Post by brooksi » 20 Jul 2018, 10:29

Powered by Pals, Motivated by Mates.

OzzyGreg

Post by OzzyGreg » 22 Jul 2018, 08:39

Oh yeah, trials is amazing!
I've had a couple of trials bikes over the years myself and been pretty useless at it, lol!
I especially like the indoor, "Arena" series.
Funny, Bou wins pretty much everything in this, but I'm not bored of seeing it happen time and time again, unlike in roadracing!
Can't quite let go of my basses. They're kind of addictive.

dazmon

Post by dazmon » 22 Jul 2018, 12:22

bigswifty wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 10:13
I kinda agree, and as a personal thing I don't care for Marquez much. MotoGP hasn't been the same since traction control. I understand it, and I don't blame anyone for doing what they can to avoid a power-on high side, but it has taken a huge element of skill out of the sport now that they can basically just nail it out of corners. The Moto3 is often the most entertaining race of the day.

I've always had problems with the WSB and their stupid capacity rules. I know it has been mostly addressed now, but it still seems silly and artificial. And for years the sport was basically run for Ducati and that kno.... fine sportsman Carl Fogerty and I'm still grumpy after all these years haha. Also WSB hasn't been the same since they got rid of those two commentators whose names escape me but who were very entertaining and funny in a respectful way.

I still think it's they are the best televised motor sport though. I like the Speedway GP, but really, most races, they should just call it what it is - a 40m drag race to the first corner, then declare the winner.

Mike
I think it was Keith heuwen and Julian Ryder, very funny indeed !

dazmon

Post by dazmon » 22 Jul 2018, 12:25

Should be interesting next season when Lorenzo joins Marquez, I don’t think he’ll beat him but I bet there’s fireworks.
You can always tune in to the Irish road racing and the TT, never a dull moment there.

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 22 Jul 2018, 15:33

dazmon wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 12:22
bigswifty wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 10:13

Mike
I think it was Keith heuwen and Julian Ryder, very funny indeed !
Thank you. That’s them, they were great!
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

brooksi

Post by brooksi » 23 Jul 2018, 08:04

OzzyGreg wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 08:39
Oh yeah, trials is amazing!
I've had a couple of trials bikes over the years myself and been pretty useless at it, lol!
I especially like the indoor, "Arena" series.
Funny, Bou wins pretty much everything in this, but I'm not bored of seeing it happen time and time again, unlike in roadracing!
1]Bultaco 250 Sherpa T
2]Ossa 240
Montessa 265 Cota
4]Yamaha Ty 250
Hopefully soon a GasGas 250/350 so I can go riding with my grandson