MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
User avatar
OzzyGreg
Posts: 1609
Joined: 26 Apr 2011, 11:16
Location: Just south of Wollongong, NSW
Contact:

MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by OzzyGreg » 16 Jul 2018, 06:00

.
Just sayin' .....

I'm becoming bored with:
a) Marc Marquez winning almost everything in MotoGP
and
b) Jonathon Rae winning almost everything in World Superbikes

I got sick of Mick Doohan winning almost everything in 500GP back in the 90s and virtually stopped watching races.
I can feel it beginning again.

Thank god for the World Speedway Championship, AMA Supercross and Outdoor Motocross on Foxtel! At least there's different winners there.
Can't quite let go of my basses. They're kind of addictive.

User avatar
hamo
Posts: 1106
Joined: 23 Dec 2009, 23:31
Location: Manly Brisbane

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by hamo » 16 Jul 2018, 07:25

I agree somewhat. I have only been watching a few races each season for a few years, Philip Island (of course) and Monza are probably the only two I really like watching because there is often an good tussle.
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

bigswifty
Posts: 1413
Joined: 24 Apr 2011, 18:53
Location: Sydney Hills District
Contact:

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by bigswifty » 16 Jul 2018, 10:13

I kinda agree, and as a personal thing I don't care for Marquez much. MotoGP hasn't been the same since traction control. I understand it, and I don't blame anyone for doing what they can to avoid a power-on high side, but it has taken a huge element of skill out of the sport now that they can basically just nail it out of corners. The Moto3 is often the most entertaining race of the day.

I've always had problems with the WSB and their stupid capacity rules. I know it has been mostly addressed now, but it still seems silly and artificial. And for years the sport was basically run for Ducati and that kno.... fine sportsman Carl Fogerty and I'm still grumpy after all these years haha. Also WSB hasn't been the same since they got rid of those two commentators whose names escape me but who were very entertaining and funny in a respectful way.

I still think it's they are the best televised motor sport though. I like the Speedway GP, but really, most races, they should just call it what it is - a 40m drag race to the first corner, then declare the winner.

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

User avatar
BazzBass
Posts: 2738
Joined: 28 Sep 2014, 13:36
Location: Adelaide

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by BazzBass » 16 Jul 2018, 12:57

I too prefer Moto3. wheel to wheel racing from start to finish. Then I usually just flick back to see on what lap marquez takes the lead, very boring. Casey, come back
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

User avatar
Petebass
Posts: 8482
Joined: 31 Oct 2008, 07:07
Location: Hervey Bay, QLD

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by Petebass » 17 Jul 2018, 17:03

I loved watching Doohan win everything! His skill on the bike was obvious, but I particularly liked what he did to the heads of anyone who got close. Creville, Capirossi, Puig, even Daryl Beatie - all showed enough speed, but Doohan messed with their heads and/or outsmarted them at every opportunity, both on and off the track.

I also lost interest in Motp go and superbikes somewhere along the line. The sleepless nights started to become a problem as my work required more responsibility. And nowadays I'm too old to function properly when I've stayed up too late :)
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

User avatar
brooksi
Posts: 1566
Joined: 31 Jan 2009, 16:29
Location: wallsend nsw

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by brooksi » 18 Jul 2018, 20:45

I have been watching the trials ,when they come on tv which is very rare. I love what they can do on a bike
Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.
Powered by Pals, Motivated by Mates.

User avatar
rodl2005
Posts: 4142
Joined: 31 Oct 2008, 09:04
Location: Hobart TASMANIA
Contact:

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by rodl2005 » 19 Jul 2018, 12:25

Trials are great to watch. I've not got Foxtel anymore, but loved it when I did.

Is Tony Bou still leagues above the rest?

Speedway is very cool too
Mean & Surly

User avatar
brooksi
Posts: 1566
Joined: 31 Jan 2009, 16:29
Location: wallsend nsw

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by brooksi » 20 Jul 2018, 10:29

Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.
Powered by Pals, Motivated by Mates.

User avatar
OzzyGreg
Posts: 1609
Joined: 26 Apr 2011, 11:16
Location: Just south of Wollongong, NSW
Contact:

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by OzzyGreg » 22 Jul 2018, 08:39

.
Oh yeah, trials is amazing!
I've had a couple of trials bikes over the years myself and been pretty useless at it, lol!
I especially like the indoor, "Arena" series.
Funny, Bou wins pretty much everything in this, but I'm not bored of seeing it happen time and time again, unlike in roadracing!
Can't quite let go of my basses. They're kind of addictive.

dazmon
Posts: 313
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 11:44

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by dazmon » 22 Jul 2018, 12:22

bigswifty wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 10:13
I kinda agree, and as a personal thing I don't care for Marquez much. MotoGP hasn't been the same since traction control. I understand it, and I don't blame anyone for doing what they can to avoid a power-on high side, but it has taken a huge element of skill out of the sport now that they can basically just nail it out of corners. The Moto3 is often the most entertaining race of the day.

I've always had problems with the WSB and their stupid capacity rules. I know it has been mostly addressed now, but it still seems silly and artificial. And for years the sport was basically run for Ducati and that kno.... fine sportsman Carl Fogerty and I'm still grumpy after all these years haha. Also WSB hasn't been the same since they got rid of those two commentators whose names escape me but who were very entertaining and funny in a respectful way.

I still think it's they are the best televised motor sport though. I like the Speedway GP, but really, most races, they should just call it what it is - a 40m drag race to the first corner, then declare the winner.

Mike
I think it was Keith heuwen and Julian Ryder, very funny indeed !
__________________

dazmon
Posts: 313
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 11:44

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by dazmon » 22 Jul 2018, 12:25

Should be interesting next season when Lorenzo joins Marquez, I don’t think he’ll beat him but I bet there’s fireworks.
You can always tune in to the Irish road racing and the TT, never a dull moment there.
__________________

bigswifty
Posts: 1413
Joined: 24 Apr 2011, 18:53
Location: Sydney Hills District
Contact:

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by bigswifty » 22 Jul 2018, 15:33

dazmon wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 12:22
bigswifty wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 10:13
I kinda agree, and as a personal thing I don't care for Marquez much. MotoGP hasn't been the same since traction control. I understand it, and I don't blame anyone for doing what they can to avoid a power-on high side, but it has taken a huge element of skill out of the sport now that they can basically just nail it out of corners. The Moto3 is often the most entertaining race of the day.

I've always had problems with the WSB and their stupid capacity rules. I know it has been mostly addressed now, but it still seems silly and artificial. And for years the sport was basically run for Ducati and that kno.... fine sportsman Carl Fogerty and I'm still grumpy after all these years haha. Also WSB hasn't been the same since they got rid of those two commentators whose names escape me but who were very entertaining and funny in a respectful way.

I still think it's they are the best televised motor sport though. I like the Speedway GP, but really, most races, they should just call it what it is - a 40m drag race to the first corner, then declare the winner.

Mike
I think it was Keith heuwen and Julian Ryder, very funny indeed !
Thank you. That’s them, they were great!
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

User avatar
brooksi
Posts: 1566
Joined: 31 Jan 2009, 16:29
Location: wallsend nsw

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by brooksi » 23 Jul 2018, 08:04

OzzyGreg wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 08:39
.
Oh yeah, trials is amazing!
I've had a couple of trials bikes over the years myself and been pretty useless at it, lol!
I especially like the indoor, "Arena" series.
Funny, Bou wins pretty much everything in this, but I'm not bored of seeing it happen time and time again, unlike in roadracing!
1]Bultaco 250 Sherpa T
2]Ossa 240
Montessa 265 Cota
4]Yamaha Ty 250
Hopefully soon a GasGas 250/350 so I can go riding with my grandson
Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.
Powered by Pals, Motivated by Mates.

User avatar
slave
Posts: 2371
Joined: 02 May 2009, 23:10
Location: Out West...

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by slave » 27 Jul 2018, 20:28

MotoGP & Formula1 are pretty much exactly the same for me - and it's simply because the best team has the best rider/driver and they win everything for years on end. (yawn)

I reckon MotoGP & F1 could simply address this the same way horse racing does.
Weight.
Add weight to the winner for each race. Put the weight anywhere you like.
I reckon the top few would come back to the pack to a degree, making the racing a little more entertaining.

User avatar
Petebass
Posts: 8482
Joined: 31 Oct 2008, 07:07
Location: Hervey Bay, QLD

Re: MotoGP and World Superbikes are losing their appeal for me

Post by Petebass » 27 Jul 2018, 22:10

slave wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 20:28
MotoGP & Formula1 are pretty much exactly the same for me - and it's simply because the best team has the best rider/driver and they win everything for years on end. (yawn)

I reckon MotoGP & F1 could simply address this the same way horse racing does.
Weight.
Add weight to the winner for each race. Put the weight anywhere you like.
I reckon the top few would come back to the pack to a degree, making the racing a little more entertaining.
I see where you are coming from, but I don't agree. F1 and Moto GP are more than just about entertainment. They are also there to push the boundaries of engineering. The losers need to figure out how to go faster, not just wait until the winners get given enough weight tho take away their speed advantage.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests