Advice on Qantas Frequent Flyer points...

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
BassLine

Advice on Qantas Frequent Flyer points...

Post by BassLine » 23 Jun 2018, 12:07

Hi All. I've set myself a challenge to see if I can fly to Europe next year using Frequent Flyer Points.

There's huge bonus point for starting a new credit card (with the exorbitant Annual fee waved the first year. Tip: Cancel before the year is up).

Curious to know if anybody here has Actually used them?
Pros & Cons? Loopholes?
How hard is it to find & book the flights?
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

packrat

Re: Advice on Qantas Frequent Flyer points...

Post by packrat » 23 Jun 2018, 12:40

If you have a qantas freqeuent flyer account, you can log in and then look at the booking interface to see what sort of points availability the flights have and how many points they cost. In my experience, points flights tend to be thinner on the ground for popular destinations, so you'll need to book quite a long way in advance, but I've had luck booking flights back from Perth with a few days notice.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 23 Jun 2018, 13:23

Calling Maxgroover.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 23 Jun 2018, 15:35

I have flown a heap for work and have used points to go to Europe twice and USA once. I also did like you and signed up for a new CC and then once I got the bonus points I cancelled.

Tip for booking flights - the best use is to book "Classic Rewards" fairs. These cost significantly less than paying with points but are in limited supply. You are still required to pay the taxes.

If you want to fly business class, you are best to pay for economy fairs and then request an upgrade with points.

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 23 Jun 2018, 19:26

How easy/hard it is to book flights depends on when you are travelling. School holidays are generally a no go. In Australia's winter Australians tend to travel to the European summer and likewise in European winter Europeans tend to travel to Australia so seats will be limited then.

It also depends on what tier you are. Platinum frequent flyer members get access to more seats than bronze frequent flyer members.

As blizzard mentioned, Classic Rewards generally require significantly less points than Any Seat Rewards, particularly as you get closer to the date of travel. Classic Reward seats are typically released 12 months in advance and sell out pretty quickly. However, occasionally Qantas will make more Classic Reward seats available closer to the date of travel, so while it's a bit tedious, it pays to check regularly.

If your itinerary requires a number of flights (i.e your visiting numerous cities in Europe, not just flying Sydney London and back) then it pays to ring the service centre and get their help with sourcing flights. They have a much more sophisticated system for finding flights with partner airlines that allow you to use Qantas Points. There is a fee for using the service centre though.

The best use of Qantas Points is to use them for upgrades on longer international flights. You have to buy the economy fare but the value you get per point when you compare the dollar amount of an economy fare with a business fare is much higher than using points for a Classic Reward seat from Sydney to Melbourne. Upgrades are given in priority order - customers who buy a premium economy seat will be considered before customers who buy a fully flexible economy seat, who will be considered before economy red e-deal fares.
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 23 Jun 2018, 19:46

Great advice, thanks guys.

Forgot to ask about the travel insurance they offer when buying flights using their Credit Card.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer