Help me fix my window demister!

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Petebass

Re: Help me fix my window demister!

Post by Petebass » 13 Mar 2018, 20:33

basshack wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 19:29
Pete, can you find 2nd hand glass panes to match what you have. Those heated windows are usually current controlled so that they don't overheat when they are not needed to warm up the glass. Putting variable voltage heaters in will do a similar thing but how are you going to monitor it? It'll change with the amount of fresh, therefore wet, air going in.
Hmmm, good point. I was going to do it like I do how with the fan - manually! I'll have the power supply and timer plugged in under the counter so I can tinker with them while people are deciding what flavours they would like. At present, the glass fogs up immediately the moment you open the curtain to scoop some Ice Cream. I'm hoping that the glass will retain a little bit of heat and therefore give me 30 seconds or so before it starts fogging up. That'll be a major improvement. Then of course the curtains closes and the glass clears up again without causing hot and cold spots within the freezer. That's the hope anyway...............

FWIW it's going to be a temporary fix until I can afford to buy a replacement machine. I fully intend to buy a used display freezer when one comes available, but used ones are hard to come by because they're so big and heavy that "Pick-up-only" is the only option, and I'm in quite isolated in Hervey Bay. For reference, I picked up a used one just before Xmas which was the result of 12+ months of scouring all the various classifieds and marketplaces, and required me drive 500+ km's round trip to Sunny Coast in a rented truck to go get it. So if I can make this machine last that little bit longer while I wait for something appropriate to pop up used within driving distance, that would be magnificent!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

brooksi

Post by brooksi » 13 Mar 2018, 20:36

I would go to your nearest jcar and have a chat. They might have something that will do the job.
Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.
Powered by Pals, Motivated by Mates.

basshack

Post by basshack » 13 Mar 2018, 21:12

Have a look at this Pete

https://www.celanese.com/engineered-mat ... -Film.aspx

Designed for freezer glass in supermarkets. Doesn’t require electricity. Might be a bit hard to get hold of in small amounts and might be a bit pricey.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 14 Mar 2018, 01:34

brooksi wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 20:36
I would go to your nearest jcar and have a chat. They might have something that will do the job.
I did. That's how I ended up with a fan that won't freeze in -18 degrees, and a timer.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 14 Mar 2018, 01:35

basshack wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 21:12
Have a look at this Pete

Designed for freezer glass in supermarkets. Doesn’t require electricity. Might be a bit hard to get hold of in small amounts and might be a bit pricey.
Note THAT looks interesting. I've sent them a message requesting pricing. Thanks!

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 14 Mar 2018, 14:21

a good fridge/freezer tech maybe ? (in case you missed the obvious)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 15 Mar 2018, 11:34

BazzBass wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 14:21
a good fridge/freezer tech maybe ? (in case you missed the obvious)
I had 2 freezer techs look at it. Both recommended I take it to Dept of Fair trading due to the nature of the fault and the expense required to fix it. It's a $20K machine and it's only 2 years old. Long story short, I lost my case in a close battle and will have to wear the cost of repairs myself. The best quote so far is $3,850. Decent used machines start at about $5K.

The 12v demister will be $105. I think I just talked myself into it ..... pending the pricing on the Celanese film of course.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 15 Mar 2018, 15:08

I dunno, $3800 vs $105...... close call :)

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 16 Mar 2018, 08:59

Petebass wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 01:35
basshack wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 21:12
Have a look at this Pete

Note THAT looks interesting. I've sent them a message requesting pricing. Thanks!
Ok prices are in. In the size I'm after, £50 per sheet ($90 Aus) which isn't too bad. Shipping on the other hand - £75 ($135 Aus) regardless of if I buy one sheet or two.

Business is a numbers game, so I pulled the trigger on the 12v system yesterday. It's already been shipped from Colorado, and the wait begins.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 16 Mar 2018, 11:59

hope there is no rosewood in it Pete :)

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 16 Mar 2018, 16:07

BazzBass wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 11:59
hope there is no rosewood in it Pete :)
Well based on those UK shipping prices, it probably contains Gold, Platinum and uranium. Besides, I'm a maple guy from way back :)

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 28 Mar 2018, 13:05

OK so the 12V system arrived and I installed it. Then I tried my 12V transformer and...... nothing. A bit more research and it would appear my 1000mA transformer doesn't produce enough current. So how much would I need? Well I asked my Auto electrician friend and he said 10Amp minimum, maybe more. Which makes sense when you think about the size of the fuses in your car.

So I go out and buy a laboratory power supply ($150) because I liked the flexibility of being able to dial things up and down as needed. The best I could get it to do was 10-11 Amps before it started complaining, but still no heat. A million continuity checks later and we finally noticed something on the spec sheet for the defroster that I hadn't noticed before - it wants 17.2 Amps. My lab power supply isn't going to cut it.

Thankfully the guys at Jaycar allowed me to exchange it for a 13.87V, 20Amp power supply. That's done the trick, it's now producing heat. I've got it hooked up to a 240V timer to turn it on and off periodically during the day. The glass seems to retain heat surprisingly well. It's currently set to 40mins on, 20 mins off, but I can adjust that if necessary.

This thing is going to be expensive to run at that sort of current draw. I still might end up getting that Clarifoil down the track.............

basshack

Post by basshack » 28 Mar 2018, 16:30

Maybe not so expensive Pete, it's 20amp at 12V not at 240V. So what's that somewhere in the 4 amp range out of the plug. There would of have been something similar coming from the inbuilt heater anyway.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

packrat

Post by packrat » 28 Mar 2018, 17:00

240W plus losses in power supplies. Three lightbulbs (remember those?)

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 29 Mar 2018, 14:04

So how can something like this be working fine one day, then the power supply sh1ts itself the next day?

I've had enough troubleshooting on this, and I wasn't fond of the visible lines across the glass anyway, so out came the scraper blade this morning and the whole thing went in the bin.

Then I ordered that Clearfoil!