Quincy Jones tells us what he really thinks

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
DeadlyErnest

Quincy Jones tells us what he really thinks

Post by DeadlyErnest » 08 Feb 2018, 21:51

In an unguarded interview with New York Magazine, Jones, 84, called The Beatles "no-playing motherf****ers", accused Jackson of plagiarism, and said modern pop music producers were "lazy and greedy".

He even suggested he knew the identity of US President John F Kennedy's real killer. (The mobster Sam Giancana, who allegedly helped JFK rig the 1960 election.)

Here are some of the best bits of that chat.
The Beatles were 'the worst musicians in the world'

"Paul [McCartney] was the worst bass player I ever heard," Jones told the magazine's David Marchese.

"And Ringo? Don't even talk about it."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-08/q ... ld/9408328

8/
Will play for food.

NotTheFish

Re: Quincy Jones tells us what he really thinks

Post by NotTheFish » 08 Feb 2018, 21:54

Some people will say anything to sell a book.

packrat

Post by packrat » 09 Feb 2018, 07:01

He has a point. I think Ringo is a *terrible* bass player. Wouldn't even talk about it.

B>

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 09 Feb 2018, 07:28

I hate when people criticise Ringo. He was the best drummer they knew and before Ringo joined, The Beatles, they weren't that great. Having auditioned them with Pete Best, George Martin hired in a session drummer for the Love Me Do session (not knowing they'd hired Ringo). After hearing Ringo, he never thought of using another drummer again. With Ringo, they went from being a passable band, to being a good band that just kept getting better.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 09 Feb 2018, 07:52

Not to downplay anything the beatles achieved, but I can sort of get where he might be coming from. Next to the highly professional, chart savvy, classical and jazz trained, session players of the day, McCartney and Starr might have seemed to him like self taught amateurs. Let's face it too, they were. In reality what they circumvented was an army of professional song writers and arrangers. But good on them. :)

And I think the US recording scene was of a higher standard at the time. I don't know if you've ever had to play through some of the broadway scores of the time, but a lot of them are pretty virtuosic for bass players. "West Side Story" is a good example. Even my old upright teacher, a seasoned classical professional and section principal struggled to sight read it. Next to that, even the most complex things the beatles did might have seemed pedestrian and derivative. It's just that most people had never seen them in pop music before.

On a personal note. I've never really had much time for John. Paul's music is fun. The beatles were fun. Clever, but the emphasis is on fun. People have been over-analyzing and over-emphasizing them since the late 60's. Elvis suffers the same fate. I mean sure, they were icons, but they weren't the zenith of 20th century musical development.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 09 Feb 2018, 08:05

Meh. Didn't read it. He's the guy who lobotomised funk.
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 09 Feb 2018, 09:20

The Beatles are like pizza - it won't win any awards but nearly everyone loves it!
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

packrat

Post by packrat » 09 Feb 2018, 09:23

BassLine wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 09:20
The Beatles are like pizza - it won't win any awards but nearly everyone loves it!
Well, except Elvis people, but seriously. Who would admit to that!

B>

packrat

Post by packrat » 09 Feb 2018, 09:24

aphekgreg wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 07:28
I hate when people criticise Ringo. He was the best drummer they knew and before Ringo joined, The Beatles, they weren't that great. Having auditioned them with Pete Best, George Martin hired in a session drummer for the Love Me Do session (not knowing they'd hired Ringo). After hearing Ringo, he never thought of using another drummer again. With Ringo, they went from being a passable band, to being a good band that just kept getting better.
Ringo did some really interesting stuff on drums, certainly.

But I maintain he's a not very good bass player.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 09 Feb 2018, 09:51

There were some good moments in his interview....
Is there innovation happening in modern pop music?
Hell no. It’s just loops, beats, rhymes and hooks. What is there for me to learn from that? There ain’t no f###ing songs. The song is the power; the singer is the messenger. The greatest singer in the world cannot save a bad song. I learned that 50 years ago, and it’s the single greatest lesson I ever learned as a producer. If you don’t have a great song, it doesn’t matter what else you put around it.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 09 Feb 2018, 10:55

In 50 years time they will still be playing Beatles music. No one will remember Quincy. TV themes and Grammy awards mean nothing.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 09 Feb 2018, 11:37

I've never really sat down and analysed the Beatles' music. To me its highly listenable pop music even today. Does it really have to be any more than that?

In any case, it's not always about the formidable musician. Sometimes I just think the guy who can hold down a beat or a bassline and get the crowd moving is easily disparaged, but still brings a lot of joy to people. I guess everyone needs to be highly provocative these days to be noticed

Soong

Post by Soong » 10 Feb 2018, 09:06

BazzBass wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:55
In 50 years time they will still be playing Beatles music. No one will remember Quincy. TV themes and Grammy awards mean nothing.
And what about Michael Jackson's early music; most of which was produced by Quincy?
Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 10 Feb 2018, 12:21

Soong wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 09:06
BazzBass wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 10:55
And what about Michael Jackson's early music; most of which was produced by Quincy?
They'll remember Michael Jackson, not Quincy Jones.
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

irvinz

Post by irvinz » 10 Feb 2018, 15:52

Not sure what the fuss is about.... most people would only know his work. But not know his name.

That was a fun interview to read tho. Like sitting at your grandads old stories ;)