Your FAVOURITE and LEAST FAVOURITE Aussie Songs ??

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
bigswifty

Re: Your FAVOURITE and LEAST FAVOURITE Aussie Songs ??

Post by bigswifty » 05 Feb 2018, 18:07

Well since you didn't mention Buffalo it seems I will have to do it for you hehehehe
Aussie Mark wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 08:30
Favourite -

Least Favourite -

I've gone Stingray mad 8|

Boopbohead

Post by Boopbohead » 05 Feb 2018, 22:11

Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons - great Aussie song.
Kingy

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 05 Feb 2018, 22:55

WOW!!
tearalong wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 11:40
BazzBass wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 10:32
ahh the sophistication of the Australian public, Joe Dolce has a massive hit coz Aussies were still giggling at foreign accents after they'd been here for more than 50 years, stay classy Oz lol rotfl pmsl
It was a world wide hit -

"Shaddap You Face" went to #1 for eight weeks on the Australian pop charts in 1980. It reached Number 1 in the UK Singles Chart on 21 February 1981 and stayed there for three weeks until 14 March 1981—keeping Ultravox's single Vienna out of the top spot for all the three weeks it was there. The song became the 15th biggest hit of 1981 in the UK.[4]

"Shaddap You Face" was also Number 1 in 11 other countries. There have been over 50 different foreign language cover versions, and hundreds more published informally on YouTube with new versions being recorded and uploaded every year. The original release sold over 6 million copies and has remained the most successful Australian-produced single in Australian music history for 33 years straight, with sales of over 450,000 copies. It was Australia's first triple platinum recording by the old count of 100,000 units equaling platinum status, which has since changed to 75,000 units, then 50,000, and finally 70,000 units.[citation needed] In 2002, "Shaddap You Face" also overtook Slim Dusty's 22-year longevity record for "A Pub with No Beer", which went to Number 1 in 1957, and was Australia's first gold record and only gold 78rpm record.

In the US, the song peaked at No. 53 in the summer of 1981 on the Billboard Hot 100, No. 43 on the Cash Box Top 100,[5] and No. 24 on Record World. However, it was regularly played on the Dr. Demento show to the point of being No. 6 on the year-end Funny 25 that year. In Canada, "Shaddap You Face" reached number two for two weeks.

Lou Monte released a cover of the song in 1981. Other notable cover versions have been done by KRS-One (hip-hop), EMF (British), Andrew Sachs (Manuel, of Fawlty Towers), Werner Böhm, alias: Gottlieb Wendehals (German, title: Mensch, ärger dich nicht), Sheila (French, titled: Et Ne La Ramène Pas), Dingetje (Dutch, titled: Houtochdiekop), De Strangers (muziekgroep (Dutch, titled: Agget Mor Fret), Volker Rosin und die Lollypops (German, titled: Hörst du nicht die Kuh - Muh!), Franco Franchi with the duo, Franco e Ciccio (Italian, title: Alì Alì Alè), an Aboriginal language version by Gnarnyarrhe Waitairie, a Papua New Guinean version by The Breeze Band (title: "Pasim Pes Bilong Yu" – pidgin version), and even a spoken word interpretation by Samuel L. Jackson.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 06 Feb 2018, 07:52

bigswifty wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 18:06

* Coulda chosen lots of things off this album, but let's go with Shylock

Good choice Mike - that's my fave Oz album. But I still love the extended Evie as a "song" - and it's wonderful to play all 3 parts live.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 06 Feb 2018, 09:52

Aussie Mark wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 07:52

Good choice Mike - that's my fave Oz album. But I still love the extended Evie as a "song" - and it's wonderful to play all 3 parts live.
Evie is probably the only really popular song about death in childbirth
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 06 Feb 2018, 10:33

I'll agree with most of the posts so far. What About Me ... I remember thinking at the time.. when it 1st appeared on Countdown... what ABOUT you? Mullet... check... gawd awful song.. check... ugly... check... (Ok. The ugly part is subjective..I s'pose ;) ) but .. sadly, I knew, know, a decent pop song when I hear it, & I KNEW it'd be a successful song.. dammitt! There's been many many songs that I've very much disliked (hate is such a strong word... but could easily suffice here- Again... sadly) that I KNEW would be successful pop songs.
I loved early Midnight Oil...1st two albums, my mates and I would listen to, amongst the Led Zep, Queen, Chic, Angels Talking Heads etc.. & loved em (still do) but...I couldn't come to grips with their later stuff... Again I realised they were decent songs, could see where they were coming from... agreed with their polly-tix etc etc... but... just couldn't enjoy their 10,9,8,7,6....... or later stuff
Again... loved early... well most...Cold Chisel...(of course I got sick to death of Khe Sahn (?) As it was on in every pub, every radio station, every day all day for 10,000 years... but I still liked their stuff... well written, talented folk playing tastefully etc etc... but, as mentioned above... Barnesy's later- solo - stuff. Left me cold... working class man left me hot under the collar... with distaste.
In the later 80s I was into rap, electro, funk etc... and most of what was being played on Aus radio.... was (in the words of whatchamacallit from Pulp Fiction) "very f×#€☆in far from being alright"
Rant..... done. For now.
Apologies for offending those who DO like utter utter utter utter utter utter utter utter

Utter

Utter

Rubbish :D :peep:
Mean & Surly

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 06 Feb 2018, 14:05

On the Men At Work topic, as annoying at Down Under is, how awesome is Overkill? What a fabulous song! This acoustic version makes the hairs on my neck stand up ......

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

sharpman

Post by sharpman » 07 Feb 2018, 10:03

Aussie Mark wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 14:05
On the Men At Work topic, as annoying at Down Under is, how awesome is Overkill? What a fabulous song! This acoustic version makes the hairs on my neck stand up ......

Yeah that's a good one. I bought his solo record "Going Somewhere" and was almost blown away. I love it. Beautiful voice, songs are great and the acoustic on this record sounds awesome. I find it a relaxing record to listen too
~Labsystems 400b-Labsystems 610HP-EBMM Stingray-Darkglass B7K

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 07 Feb 2018, 11:17

tearalong wrote:
BazzBass wrote:
ahh the sophistication of the Australian public, Joe Dolce has a massive hit coz Aussies were still giggling at foreign accents after they'd been here for more than 50 years, stay classy Oz lol rotfl pmsl
It was a world wide hit -

"Shaddap You Face" went to #1 for eight weeks on the Australian pop charts in 1980. It reached Number 1 in the UK Singles Chart on 21 February 1981 and stayed there for three weeks until 14 March 1981—keeping Ultravox's single Vienna out of the top spot for all the three weeks it was there. The song became the 15th biggest hit of 1981 in the UK.[4]

"Shaddap You Face" was also Number 1 in 11 other countries. There have been over 50 different foreign language cover versions, and hundreds more published informally on YouTube with new versions being recorded and uploaded every year. The original release sold over 6 million copies and has remained the most successful Australian-produced single in Australian music history for 33 years straight, with sales of over 450,000 copies. It was Australia's first triple platinum recording by the old count of 100,000 units equaling platinum status, which has since changed to 75,000 units, then 50,000, and finally 70,000 units.[citation needed] In 2002, "Shaddap You Face" also overtook Slim Dusty's 22-year longevity record for "A Pub with No Beer", which went to Number 1 in 1957, and was Australia's first gold record and only gold 78rpm record.

In the US, the song peaked at No. 53 in the summer of 1981 on the Billboard Hot 100, No. 43 on the Cash Box Top 100,[5] and No. 24 on Record World. However, it was regularly played on the Dr. Demento show to the point of being No. 6 on the year-end Funny 25 that year. In Canada, "Shaddap You Face" reached number two for two weeks.

Lou Monte released a cover of the song in 1981. Other notable cover versions have been done by KRS-One (hip-hop), EMF (British), Andrew Sachs (Manuel, of Fawlty Towers), Werner Böhm, alias: Gottlieb Wendehals (German, title: Mensch, ärger dich nicht), Sheila (French, titled: Et Ne La Ramène Pas), Dingetje (Dutch, titled: Houtochdiekop), De Strangers (muziekgroep (Dutch, titled: Agget Mor Fret), Volker Rosin und die Lollypops (German, titled: Hörst du nicht die Kuh - Muh!), Franco Franchi with the duo, Franco e Ciccio (Italian, title: Alì Alì Alè), an Aboriginal language version by Gnarnyarrhe Waitairie, a Papua New Guinean version by The Breeze Band (title: "Pasim Pes Bilong Yu" – pidgin version), and even a spoken word interpretation by Samuel L. Jackson.
and your point is? lol

just because it was a hit elsewhere doesn't make my comment false.. AUSSIES bought it coz they like laughing at a foreign accent. As a victim of racial discrimination for 56 years I still stand by my comments :) and frankly anyone elses opinion won't change my thoughts
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Soong

Post by Soong » 07 Feb 2018, 12:24

HOW HAS NO ONE MENTIONED HORSES????!!!!!

***and before you complain about how it's not actually Aussie blah blah blah, yes i know it's a cover.
Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 07 Feb 2018, 13:03

Soong wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 12:24

***and before you complain about how it's not actually Aussie blah blah blah, yes i know it's a cover.
I still don't get the kids digging this song.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 07 Feb 2018, 13:19

BazzBass wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 11:17
tearalong wrote:
BazzBass wrote:
snipped

and your point is? lol

just because it was a hit elsewhere doesn't make my comment false.. AUSSIES bought it coz they like laughing at a foreign accent. As a victim of racial discrimination for 56 years I still stand by my comments :) and frankly anyone elses opinion won't change my thoughts
Agree completely - I have never liked it - my point was that the "sophistication of the Australian public" was the same as the sophistication of the rest of the world - they were pretty crass times everywhere
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 07 Feb 2018, 15:32

yes you are speaking the truth mate :)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 07 Feb 2018, 20:51

Soong wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 12:24

His other big hit "Rise" definitely qualifies as Australian. The co-writer, Paul Reed, is still gigging in Sydney and around the world with Stormcellar and sits in with us from time to time. He's also active with some of the Sydney jam nights.

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|