The "What are you READING?" thread

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
BassLine

The "What are you READING?" thread

Post by BassLine » 23 Dec 2017, 12:48

What did you read in 2017?
What are you planning to read these holidays or in 2018?

I had a chance to read The Martian by Andy Weir on my last holiday. Fantastic book, I thoroughly recommend it.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

slowlearner

Re: The "What are you READING?" thread

Post by slowlearner » 23 Dec 2017, 13:13

I smashed through the end of the "wheel of time" series by Robert Jordan earlier this year. I'm pretty burned since then. I should get back to writing instead of just reading. A few people I know in the industry tell me I write well apparently. I'm not convinced but it is fun.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 23 Dec 2017, 13:27

I read bios on The Angels and the two Jimmy Barne's bios, Working Class Boy and WC Man.
Currently on The Infiltrator,by Bob Mazur, true story of how he went undercover as a money launderer for Pablo Escobar. Very revealing about how the banking industry knowingly launder drug money, and money donated to starving African aid charities that goes straight into the current dictator's secret accounts in Switzerland and elswhere.

next is Neil Young's bio, but apparently it's boring, anyone read it?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

packrat

Post by packrat » 23 Dec 2017, 15:02

I felt I read too much in 2016 (148 books) so decided to shoot for 120 this year. 2 away from that, mostly while traveling. Science history, police procedurals, and I’ve been looking for interesting women sf/f writers.

B>

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 23 Dec 2017, 16:15

I bought a used Kindle recently for $10. The guy decided to leave all his books on it, well over 100 fiction novels. Good score! I'll probably start working through them soon....
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

veebass

Post by veebass » 23 Dec 2017, 17:26

Currently, the current Jack Reacher. Appears to be about Endone- OMG what a problem!
Yes I have read them all in a pretty short period. A blur, but a well written blur.
I need to find something to read between when Stephen King, John Connolly and Joe Hill deign to write a book.
Seriously, I have read 21 or whatever Reacher books and the whole John Birmingham Dave and The Monsters books (loved them and everything else he has written) in the time King and Connolly have produced one each. Joe Hill hasn't done anything AFAIK since the The Fireman. Great author, though.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

sharpman

Post by sharpman » 23 Dec 2017, 17:54

I'm 99% sure no one will care on the subject matter, but none the less I've been desperately trying to read 'Gambling For Life' on Harry Findlay for 3 mths. He is such an interesting fella. I've read 3 pages as only chance I get to read for more than 5 mins is in bed and I fall asleep almost instantly. How do you guys do it!?I REALLY want to finish it
~Labsystems 400b-Labsystems 610HP-EBMM Stingray-Darkglass B7K

veebass

Post by veebass » 23 Dec 2017, 18:01

sharpman wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 17:54
I'm 99% sure no one will care on the subject matter, but none the less I've been desperately trying to read 'Gambling For Life' on Harry Findlay for 3 mths. He is such an interesting fella. I've read 3 pages as only chance I get to read for more than 5 mins is in bed and I fall asleep almost instantly. How do you guys do it!?I REALLY want to finish it
Might need to go to bed and start reading a little earlier?
I also read while watching TV. Oh and I am retired, which probably helps. :)

packrat

Post by packrat » 23 Dec 2017, 21:40

Being stuck on ‘planes and traveling is also good for reading. Not so much for bass practice.

B>

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 23 Dec 2017, 22:02

I'm reading "Monash and Chauvel" - Roland Perry. I've rad a bit about them in other books, but this one appears well-researched in promoting what they did as innovative and largely unsung:
- Monash was the first to use the 'blitzkrieg' method of combined arms. He used all the Australian Corps (AIF)together for the first time, as the spearhead to begin the break-up of the German Army in mid-late 1918
- Chauvel became the commanding lieutenant-general for all Australian forces in the middle-east - responsible for rolling up the Turks 1917 -18
Arguably, the two most influential generals of WW1.
I see..............basses!

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 24 Dec 2017, 13:26

my cousin just dropped off "The Secret Memoirs of Lord Byron". This WILL be interesting from what I know about him. I expect sodomy, homosexual affairs, hopefully some drug taking and general debauchery lol :partydance:

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 24 Dec 2017, 14:08

veebass wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 17:26
Currently, the current Jack Reacher. <SNIP>
I enjoyed that. After finishing all the "Reachers" I'm now on book three of https://www.goodreads.com/series/43717-virgil-flowers. Detective stuff, with a slight music/band with the hero's t-shirts :)

This year I've been diving into and recoiling out of "Naked Lunch", finding it challenging and enjoya..... no that's not the word.

Currently also on a George MacDonald Fraser bender. I read all the "Flashmans" years ago (and loved most of them) and this year I've polished off "Quartered Safe Out Here" (his experiences in Burma in the Big One) and "The Complete MacAuslan". Very fond of GMF, definitely one of my favourite writers.

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 24 Dec 2017, 14:12

BazzBass wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 13:26
my cousin just dropped off "The Secret Memoirs of Lord Byron". This WILL be interesting from what I know about him. I expect sodomy, homosexual affairs, hopefully some drug taking and general debauchery lol :partydance:
Heck, or you could just come to one of our inner city gigs (sigh). I speak as a man who last night fended off a 120kg woman who ended up collapsing against one of the PA towers (divine intervention, it held), falling over and squashing all our road cases, then somehow showering your humble bassman with broken glass (I'm fine, I keep one eye on the fretboard, one on the BL and one on the local fauna, hang on that's .... never mind).

Ah... the glamour. And sorry for the derail.

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 24 Dec 2017, 15:09

wait, what? there was a woman at your gig that wasn't a GF? Man you Sydneysiders know how to party :)

PS: we seem to have more women than men at our first 3 gigs, a welcome change from last time I played out in the 90s lol

veebass

Post by veebass » 24 Jan 2018, 15:44

Just got the Joe Hill Book!!!!