Neon Sisters - Monoplane album (Double Electric Bassists)

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
the-flat-earth

Neon Sisters - Monoplane album (Double Electric Bassists)

Post by the-flat-earth » 11 Dec 2017, 17:01

Being a fretless player, and growing up in the 1980's, I was attracted to the playing styles and music of mostly UK players. Mick Karn (Japan), Pino Palladino (Gary Numan/Paul/Young etc), Paul Webb (Talk Talk), Robert Bell (The Blue Nile), Derek Forbes (Simple Minds) and the critically overlooked Matthew Seligman (Thomas Dolby,David Bowie etc).

Over the years I became friends with Matthew, and we talked about the possibility of doing an album with 2 bass players. Not in a "you solo, I'll hold down the low end" kind of way, but 2 bassists weaving their lines through songs.

Well...we did it :) Our debut album is called "Monoplane" under the moniker "Neon Sisters". The band name is taken from the Thomas Dolby song. We have Jon Klein (Siouxsie & The Banshees) on guitar, and Paul Smyth (Birds Through Fire) on keyboards and treatments. A guest vocal by David Bridie, but most lead vocals are by yours truly :)

The album has been described as “classic electro atmosphere slightly goth pop"......

To hear/purcahse the album, please go to......

https://neonsisters.bandcamp.com/album/monoplane

And remember......"BASS...the final frontier" :)

slowlearner

Re: Neon Sisters - Monoplane album (Double Electric Bassists)

Post by slowlearner » 16 Dec 2017, 10:44

Downloaded this the other day. Still getting the hang of it, but it's got some pretty cool stuff on it. Think Massive Attack meets Peter Gabriel, meets Pink Floyd, meets Bowie. All stuff I really enjoy.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

the-flat-earth

Post by the-flat-earth » 17 Dec 2017, 09:40

slowlearner wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 10:44
Downloaded this the other day. Still getting the hang of it, but it's got some pretty cool stuff on it. Think Massive Attack meets Peter Gabriel, meets Pink Floyd, meets Bowie. All stuff I really enjoy.
Many thanks for the support, and I'm glad you are enjoying it. :)

cleary

Post by cleary » 19 Dec 2017, 14:07

I thought that was a familiar voice, I really enjoyed David Bridie's first album when it came out. Totally forgot about it :p

Fwiw, it's great to hear the back story and see the project to come to fruition, the result is excellent.

Added to my wish list (thanks Christmas for the bills :( )
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW