Mesh wifi setups - anyone using one at home?

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Aussie Mark

Mesh wifi setups - anyone using one at home?

Post by Aussie Mark » 11 Dec 2017, 10:20

With the number of connected devices in the house increasing and the kids at the age where they need their own workspaces for homework, wifi coverage in our old full brick home is patchy in parts. I've been using a wifi extender for a couple of years now, which gives us a bit better range, but with the kids rooms being at the other end of the house we need to look at a better option. Plus, my wife who works from home wants to move her work area from the family room to a small room that is also at the other end of the house.

Being full brick and plaster, wiring the house for ethernet cable would be difficult and expensive, and a powerline system isn't effective either, since different parts of the house are on different wiring circuits.

So, I've been researching mesh wifi systems - eg. Google Wifi, Linksys Velop, Netgear Orbi etc.

I was leaning towards the Velop, which seems to be the best performing in terms of speed, but they're big and ugly compared to most of the other brands.

Wondering if any Ozbassers have gone down this road and can share their thoughts?

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BazzBass

Re: Mesh wifi setups - anyone using one at home?

Post by BazzBass » 11 Dec 2017, 12:07

I have no technical qualifications in this area but my house is two story, double-brick as per the 70s. There is a 2 foot thick cement slab between floors.
I have my router upstairs close to the middle of the house. I get great reception everywhere so I'm wondering if you could install your router in the ceiling maybe you'll get wider coverage?

As I said, there is no scientific evidence, just an idea from what works for me.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 11 Dec 2017, 12:11

Went for a single Google Wifi unit to replace an old router, cheap and cheery, performance has been solid and very simple to use. Coverage has been faultless so far but I'm not exactly in a palace, it's a compact 2 bed apartment. I haven't had to restart it ever and very simple admin for assigning static IP for devices etc from the free companion app.

One downside for mesh networks (and extenders) is the secondary points run at half speed to the primary, so keep that in mind. Other than that they are a great idea, cheap, and very flexible.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 11 Dec 2017, 12:21

I like the look and simplicity of Google Wifi, however throughput speed and latency came near the bottom of the list in these performance tests (scroll down to see the graphs) ...

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... king-kits/

CyberPunkie

Post by CyberPunkie » 11 Dec 2017, 15:03

Yamaha BB424x / Hohner PJ Professional / Roland GR77 + WJones interface 4 Boss GR55 // Boss GT-10B / Boss GR55 / Roland GR77B + VB-99 / Ampeg SVT410HE / SVT15E

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 11 Dec 2017, 15:08

CyberPunkie wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 15:03
https://eero.com
The Orbi and Velop seem to perform better in terms of range throughput, based on the performance charts in the link I posted. Why do you prefer the Eero?

CyberPunkie

Post by CyberPunkie » 11 Dec 2017, 15:13

Aussie Mark wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 15:08
CyberPunkie wrote:
The Orbi and Velop seem to perform better in terms of range throughput, based on the performance charts in the link I posted. Why do you prefer the Eero?
Cause it works beautifully in my farm ... main house (main router) and 3 cabins (beacons) all scattered in a 100 meters radius. WiFi signal reception is just fine. Even better during the night (less interference).
Yamaha BB424x / Hohner PJ Professional / Roland GR77 + WJones interface 4 Boss GR55 // Boss GT-10B / Boss GR55 / Roland GR77B + VB-99 / Ampeg SVT410HE / SVT15E

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 11 Dec 2017, 15:44

I think I wanted to get an Orbi at the time but couldn't find them, the Google Wifi was available at the local JB.

I haven't experienced any throughput issues with Google, but I'm only using the one. Load is usually one or two streaming HD (720-1080) videos off a Raspberry Pi plus some torrents downloading through the wired connection onto the Pi and a couple phones connected browsing. That's about the most usage the two of us can manage at a time!

One thing I forgot to mention is the coverage is much much better with just one unit than my old (from 2013) router with three aerials. No dropouts or issues at all.

Oh and I'm also running a Bose SoundTouch proprietary mesh and no compatibility issues or interference.

Sounds like you can't go too wrong with any of the options you mention. Aesthetics was also important at our place...
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 11 Dec 2017, 19:46

Have you considered a powerline adaptor? Ethernet through the powerpoint. They're meant to be pretty good these days.
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 11 Dec 2017, 20:24

vin-tone wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 19:46
Have you considered a powerline adaptor? Ethernet through the powerpoint. They're meant to be pretty good these days.
Yes, I've tried those however when the house has more than one circuit, powerline only works well if both adapters are on the same circuit. In our case, the ADSL point (and hence our router) is at one end of the house (an extension), but the other end of the house is on a different electrical circuit (the old part of the house). I've tried that, and I can't get a usable signal at all.

cleary

Post by cleary » 11 Dec 2017, 20:43

I use, and recommend ubiquiti gear for this (at home and at work). They offer product features that in the past Cisco would charge you 5+ figures for.

https://www.ubnt.com/products/#default

I bought 4 unifi ap access points second hand for about $100 (25 each) and they give me seamless, single ssid access all the way through my house. As it turns out I've only deployed 2, but that does the coverage I need. I can just bolt the others on anytime I want.

The older the maximum wifi tech they support, the cheaper they are (eg 802.11n is still less than $100 new). 802.11ac is more expensive (but still an absolute pittance by Cisco measures).
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

cleary

Post by cleary » 12 Dec 2017, 08:35

vin-tone wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 19:46
These guys are generally as good as the wiring/wiring topology in your house. I don't believe they operate across phases at all either (or at best nowhere near the advertised speeds).
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

slave

Post by slave » 12 Dec 2017, 09:28

We have our modem/hardline connection at one end of out long rectangular shaped house.
Same problem.
So with our wireless setup on one end plugged into the hardline, and then we ran a parallel cable paired off the hardline in the roofspace to the other side of the house, situated above the hallway in between the rooms that needed internet the most, and plugged in a wireless router and left it sat in the roofspace. No chasing down walls, no need for anything expensive, and we have wireless coverage everywhere in the house, even outside in the backyard for those lazy evenings in the hammock when I feel like catching up on Skype etc.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 12 Dec 2017, 10:16

CyberPunkie wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 15:13
Aussie Mark wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 15:08
CyberPunkie wrote:
Cause it works beautifully in my farm ... main house (main router) and 3 cabins (beacons) all scattered in a 100 meters radius. WiFi signal reception is just fine. Even better during the night (less interference).

How did you get around this issue .... (or are you now living in North America?)

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/artic ... nd-Canada-

"For the time being, we can only ship eeros to the United States and Canadian addresses. eeros are only certified for use with the common North American power outlet (120V), and any damage caused by using eero with other power sources is not covered under our warranty.

Customers will also need a US/Canada phone number to log into the eero app, so without that, you will not be able to set up or manage your eero WiFi system."

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 12 Dec 2017, 12:26

slave wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 09:28
and then we ran a parallel cable paired off the hardline in the roofspace to the other side of the house, situated above the hallway
that's what I'm saying, get it in your roof guys. :shrug:
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts