Who is obsessive about their coffee??

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
lostdoggy

Re: Who is obsessive about their coffee??

Post by lostdoggy » 11 Dec 2017, 18:09

Petebass wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 17:36
For all this fussiness around whether or not the beans are ground moments before brewing, I can't taste the difference.

If the ground is relatively fresh, it will be fine for ordinary purposes.
Whole beans will keep fresh longer is all.

The difference between stale and fresh is very noticeable. How long it takes to become stale depends on a range of things.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 11 Dec 2017, 18:43

lostdoggy wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 18:09
Petebass wrote:
For all this fussiness around whether or not the beans are ground moments before brewing, I can't taste the difference.

If the ground is relatively fresh, it will be fine for ordinary purposes.
Whole beans will keep fresh longer is all.

The difference between stale and fresh is very noticeable. How long it takes to become stale depends on a range of things.
I find that preground beans go stale very quickly. I normally only make 1 coffee a day so any beans that were ground the day before a stale by that time.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 12 Dec 2017, 05:34

With pour over I can see the difference between 30 seconds and three minutes believe it or not. Still tastes largely the same but does change the chemical reaction of the extraction process. Might be more noticeable on espresso but I always grind just before and my machine isn’t great so I couldn’t say from my own experience.
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic, '14 Streamer NT1
Mesa Walkbout, MarkBass Classic 300, Fender Bassman Neo 115

Lukaas3

Post by Lukaas3 » 12 Dec 2017, 08:08

blizzard wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 16:35
I am not as obsessive as some of you, but am still fairly picky. At home I have a cheap manual Sunbeam machine and a whizzy blade grinder. I always grind my beans fresh as I find on my setup this is the largest factor in the espresso quality. I struggle to get the right extraction on the espresso shot, always too quick. I find with this setup I can make a coffee better than 90% of coffee shops but not as good as properly made coffee shop coffee.

Hi mate,

your whizzy blade grinder is the problem here, it gives random particle size grounds, which is a consistency killer.

For $100 you can get a sunbeam compact conical grinder, its the next big step up for you.

Luke

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 12 Dec 2017, 09:12

Sent my newly acquired Expobar in for service yesterday to make sure all is as it should be. Is it bad that it was unnerving seeing an empty space in the corner where the coffee should be this morning?
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 12 Dec 2017, 09:24

Rocksolid wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 09:12
Sent my newly acquired Expobar in for service yesterday to make sure all is as it should be. Is it bad that it was unnerving seeing an empty space in the corner where the coffee should be this morning?
Looks like sometimes going to be on edge all day. Glad I don't work with you :)
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 12 Dec 2017, 11:56

Petebass wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 09:24
Rocksolid wrote:
Looks like sometimes going to be on edge all day. Glad I don't work with you :)
Coffee machine at work, so I got my fix an hour late...
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 12 Dec 2017, 12:19

Rocksolid wrote:
that empty space is dangerous. perhaps a short scale bass would fill the void?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 12 Dec 2017, 12:35

BazzBass wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 12:19
Rocksolid wrote:
that empty space is dangerous. perhaps a short scale bass would fill the void?
Machine is ready for pickup! That's a 24 turn around. Complete cafe services in Adelaide. Highly recommended!

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 12 Dec 2017, 13:34

Lukaas3 wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 08:08
Hi mate,

your whizzy blade grinder is the problem here, it gives random particle size grounds, which is a consistency killer.

For $100 you can get a sunbeam compact conical grinder, its the next big step up for you.

Luke
Good to know. I have been thinking of upgrading the grinder, might have to do it now.

tom once dead

Post by tom once dead » 25 Dec 2017, 10:54

Petebass wrote:

However, I'm extremely fussy about the temperature of the milk. None of this vague "judge it with your finger tips" baloney! Thermometer every time for me. And even though most coffee shops serve it up neither hot nor cold, I'm not a fan of this lukewarm-in-case-we-get-sued-for-being-too-hot thing which has become the norm. Most coffee shops make it to 60 degrees. To me that starts off warm and ends up effing cold by the time you get to the bottom, unless you skoll it. Give me 70 degrees every time. Burns the lips a little at the start, but I can take my time sipping away and it's still nice and warm when I finish.
I can understand this from a drinkers perspective, but from a barista's perspective once the milk gets above 60-65 you're beginning the process of ruining the milk. I'll happy boil the milk when old Margaret asks for her coffee to be 90 degrees but I'm also not going to put much effort into the process because I know the burnt milk is going to mess with the flavour of the coffee. I think the ideal (milk based) coffee is a Piccolo heated to 55-60 degrees. You can drink it straight away when the milk and espresso is at it's best, and it's still hot to the last sip. You can really get to know the subtleties of the espresso while getting the benefits of properly textured milk.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 25 Dec 2017, 14:38

"Waiter! This coffee tastes like mud."

"Yes sir, it's fresh ground."
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 06 Jan 2018, 11:20

Inspired by this thread I bought myself a second hand sunbeam conical burr grinder and some single wall filter baskets for my machine. Just made the best espresso shot ever from my machine.

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 06 Jan 2018, 15:31

blizzard wrote:
06 Jan 2018, 11:20
Inspired by this thread I bought myself a second hand sunbeam conical burr grinder and some single wall filter baskets for my machine. Just made the best espresso shot ever from my machine.
Awesome! What machine are you running?

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 06 Jan 2018, 19:50

A cheap, Sunbeam Cafe Crema II